Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest adampaul

Fry Dont Like Liquifry, But They Like Brine Eggs

Guest adampaul

Hi all

I think ive sussed out why my last batch of fry died, i think they starved to death sadly. I was feeding them on liquifry and couldnt really see if they where eating it or not, and as a result i only got 1 to survive.

Anyway i went to my LFS the other day and bought some de-shelled brine eggs to hatch out. Ive already got some in salty water and im waiting for them to hatch. However because these brine shrimp eggs are de-shelled, it says that i can feed them to the fish straight away.

Id already fed them on liquirfry today, and they didnt seem that interested in it. But ive just washed some of the brine eggs out in a fine cloth as the bottle said and the fry swarmed to get it they cant get enough of them. Because ive not got many stones on the bottom of the try tank i can see the brine eggs on the bottom, well i can untill i see the fry suck them up :D its dead cute. I can see there little stomachs getting full.

Im pleased to see them eating now, obviously a good sign.

Word of warning though to those like me that are new to this, do not attempt to use shelled brine eggs to feed your dry with as these are dangerous. I believe im correct in saying this? make sure they are de-shelled eggs.

Im happy as ever now :D

exactly my experience. i just got some eggs the same as you last week. they love em! sometimes i just stand over the tank for half an hour just to watch them! :lol: glad everythings going better. they gain mass really quick with the baby brine shrimp.

Guest adampaul
exactly my experience. i just got some eggs the same as you last week. they love em! sometimes i just stand over the tank for half an hour just to watch them! :lol: glad everythings going better. they gain mass really quick with the baby brine shrimp.

Hey nice one, i bet they do get bigger quickly yeah, it says on the bottle that there a really good source of food. Im still gonna hatch some out as well and feed them live, make them work for there food :D

The other good thing about using brine eggs, is that they dont make the water messy at all, theres no mess what so ever in fact. That was another worry about using the liquifry it goes all funny on the bottom of the tank. Does anyone know if brine eggs go funny if there left in a tank or not?

Ive seen quite a few of them pick some up and spit them out, i think thats really funny with them being so small.

if you make the water salty in the fry tank at 0.3%, the brine babies stay alive for days! ive had brine eggs in the tank for over a week and they havent gone funny at all. not even the slightest bit furry even. look really really carefully for the brine babies. they are TINY!!!

Oh how adorable!! Now I really want some fry!! I hope that really is one, that odd thing I saw.. :wub:

Guest adampaul
if you make the water salty in the fry tank at 0.3%, the brine babies stay alive for days! ive had brine eggs in the tank for over a week and they havent gone funny at all. not even the slightest bit furry even. look really really carefully for the brine babies. they are TINY!!!

Well ive had a few brine eggs hatch over the last few days, but not really enough for 1 shrimp per fish lol there on rashens. They also been on the unhatched brime eggs aswell, although i did notice many of them being sucked up and spat out for some reason?

As they didnt like the liquifry ive had to move them onto adult food a bit early as a supliment, and there doing ok. I put some flakes (the everyday one i normally use) into a pestal & mortar (hey i finally found cause to use it lol) and crushed the flakes into a powder. I then put a small ammount into my brine shrimp scoop and mix the powder into a little of the tank water, untill it stops floating on the surface and its all well mixed. I then pour some of it into the tank. It mostly just floats to the bottom and the fry eat it from there.

Ive also been doing daily water changes, i take 3 pints of water out, i syphon from the bottom of the tank and suck away the crap the fry dont eat, and it appears to be working well, the water is very clean and they all appear healthy.

Some of the fry are progressing really well, a lot better than I thought. There bodies are filling out nicely. The part on the front of the belly, the bit near the gills, thats becoming more fuller, on most of the fry its filled out nicely, but not on others. I dont think they all like the food im giving them, id say about 75% does.

Over all there doing well, and im well pleased. Ive only lost 2 since they where born for an un-known reason.

where there a lot of eggs in the salt solution? was there airation? the eggs that the fry spit out are either already hatched or ones that were never gonna hatch and so werent very nutritious so they spit it out cos its basically just the shells. hope this helps. if you have any more problems just tell me and ill see if i can sort it out for you. what brand of eggs are you using?

any joy?

:D Blink,talk to me about Brine shrimp. I got this little brine shrimp hatchery-Black box-fill with the salt/egg powder mix add water stir.It comes with aplastic clear cup with a lid that has a hole in it .You fill cup with cold water,put lid on turn it upside down,and sit it in hole of black box.Shrimp are supposed to hatch -go towards light ,and end up in fresh water container free of salt. The first time I did it seemed successful.I put them in betta fry tank and actually saw a coupl of fry eat them. Since then,I just don't feel like I'm seeing enough hatch,and when I add them to fry tank-I don't see them awimming around at all. How long will they stay alive in fresh water? Got any tips? :(

hm, well they stay alive for 2 hours in fresh water. how much aeration you got? i didnt use the kits. i found the DIY version a lot better. what i did is used a few drops of this egg solution with the eggs in and put it in water with 3.5 level teaspoons of sea salt or 3 level teaspoons of normal NaCl and put them in a square tub about 8" by 8" (you can be a bit flexible about that) and put in a bubble tube and attach it with those suckers. just put enough water in to cover the tube so its easier to catch the shrimp when they hatch and keep them indoors and put the pump on. 24-48 hours later and you got babies! my trick is to put one corner of the tub in the light when you want them and the rest in the dark and so they all swarm into the light corner and you can get a syphon, turkey baster or a straw (if youre familiar enough with them not to get salty water in your mouth!) and then i get a piece of thin white material (i find cutting the back out of a pair of CLEAN nickers work well) and make a cone shape out of them and pour the collected brine shrimp into the cone over the hatchery and then put the babies into the tank with the fry and there we go! ive never really wanted to try any of these kits out. too technical. i prefur something idiot proof that i can do myself! :lol:

anyway, that was a longer tip than even i expected! but it should help you. tell me how you go with it :D

:rofl Thanks Honeybuns!!!! I'm going to try your way......I'm looking for a pair of knicker's now!!!! :lol: I'm a little uncertain of what you meant with the cone part .Are you syphoning them up and squeezing tube into actual knickers so water runs off and shrimp are on the knicker's? Sorry Blink-a little dense today maybe...haven't slept too much! :blink:

lol! ok, well when you get a square of knickers, fold it in half, and half again the other way and seperate it so that there are 3 bits of material on one side and 1 on the other. ok, thats a dumb explaination. erm, well, if you are syphoning you can put the material straight over the end of the hose. ill think of a better explaination in a min. i have to do it tonight cos im going on holiday tomorrow!! :carrot

Guest adampaul
any joy?

Hi there,

Sorry for not replying faster been a bit busy.

Ive had some luck now, i just tipped some more salt in :D im getting roughly 150/200 a day which is enough. Ive had quite a few die over the last few weeks, some just werent eating. I also bought some microworms to, cant say if there eating them as there so small and cant see them in the tank

Ive got quite a few left though, id say about 50 or so, although some arent eating as much as they should do, and arent much bigger now from when there where born. The largest one is about 5 times the size of the smallest.

Ive totally removed the liquifry now, havent used it for ages now.

There being fed on my own crushed up fish food recipe :D with the shrimp and some microworms when i can stomach to touch the tubs there in, the stench from them is absolutely disgusting.

I hope to but some more pics online soon, so you can all see.

Sorry once again.