Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
Ranchugirl

Great Goldfish Books....

41 posts in this topic

YOur reviews on books have been updated on that book page :D

Thanks, Koko!! Laurie, I just returned the favor! Just the pure mentioning of the word "ebay" from you guys keeps ME going!... :rofl

....aaaand I just thought of another one - Koi Disease by Dr. Eric Johnson. There is one up for bidding on ebay now, and I keep a very close eye on it. Doc Johnson also produced a video of actual views of parasites under his microscope. Not the best entertainment usually, but well worth if you have a microscope and are not sure what you see!... :)

done

There is one book I was dying to get my hands on for months now - its called "Kingyo, the Artistry of Japanese Goldfish". It was officially ready for sale this month, and it should arrive here any day now.....

I never knew I could get that excited about a very middle aged acne prone mailman with a crooked hair cut! :rofl

Kingyo - the Artistry of Japanese Goldfish by Kazuya Takaoka and Sachiko Kuru

You want a good book? I mean a really good book? Well, this is it!!

There are no care questions in there, nothing about food, housing, parasites, medications, nada. And still, this is one of the best books I have seen so far on goldfish.

This book is done by somebody who really loves those fish, and it is all about the pride and love that the Japanese have for the goldfish. It tells how the country feels about their breeding, what they have accomplished all those years since the first goldfish got imported from China. And the book tells the story without words - its all pictures. Pictures coming from the heart, and that love expressed in so many daily aspects of life - on pottery, paintings, drawings, fabric, statues, photographs.

And thats what the book is full of!! Wonderful pictures of all kinds of goldfish, ancient paintings, pottery work, plates, fine art, and each contains a goldfish of some kind.

There is one little story in the book, translated from an 1930's anecdote about a young goldfish breeder, who has set out to breed the perfect goldfish, that he desires to be as beautiful as the love of his life, an unreachable daughter of a rich businessman. Year after year he fails with this project, and he puts all those odd new breeds into an big old pond and never thinks of those again. After a horrible act of nature all his breeder fish have died, and all thats left of his collection are the fish in that old pond. And guess where he finds the most desired goldfish treasure of them all?

This is a feast for the eyes, a book especially welcome by artists who see the beauty in things. Nancy, Bubblesowner, Jsrtist (just a few off the top of my head), you would love that book. Every fish keeper who got captivated by the beauty of our finned friends will get lost devouring all those gorgeous works of art. I mean, we are talking about almost 400 pages full of goldfish love here!

Found it at Amazon.com for a little over $25, shipping was free.....

Go and treat yourself! :heart

Edited by Ranchugirl

I want, I want I want!!!!!

I think I shall ask my hubby for that for Christmas!!!! :D

wow! 400 pages and not a single thing about their care and stuff? :huh:

sounds like a dream book if you ask me! :D

Update. :D

Actually, I still don't see it. Do I miss something? :unsure:

See this is what happens when I work on the site sick :rofl3

I for get to upload the new page :sick

You are sick, Koko, so you are excused! :hug

I see it now, its on the bottom of the page, but I can't see the title on top in the list with all the other goldie books... :unsure:

DOHo

Man I really am loosing my touch...... :sick

:D You're not losing your touch at all....No matter what your Avatar pic looks like you are not Super Koko!!! :ignore You are human-you are sick---you are trying to do things when you are exhausted..We love ya for it!!! :heart

Kingyo, sounds like a super great one!!!!!!!