Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mav

Fin Rot?

Watching my fish today, I noticed what looks like fin rot on the back fins of one of my orandas. :huh:

He's got a fused tail fin, so it's always been hard to get a good look at the sides of his tail, as it doesn't 'flow' the way 'normal' tails do, if that makes sense. But I see what look like raggedy edges, but no splits, just not-smooth ends.

The other has one small spot, but as I don't see fin-nipping going on while I'm around [which is about 16-18 hours of the day about now], I'm thinking it must be fin rot.

I know it's a water thing, but could the temperature swings we've had in the last week contribute? [it was very warm in my apt. for quite a bit, so the tank was at about 82 for while a while, and the temp. dropped back into the 70s this last week]. I want to treat this, and not have it come back!

I have salt -- Rick's book says use a 0.3% salt solution -- it's Morton's, non-iodizied, lists ingreds. as 'salt, calcium silicate' -- is that OK for the tank? [i also have epsom salts and aqaurium salt, but I don't think that's what I need for this...right?] He says that's one tablespoon per gallon, put in over 24 hours in 3 doses. But does anybody know for how long you should treat?

This WOULD happen the week before we move!! :thud

Any input would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Mav [and Inky and Sir Talks-A-Lot]

Oh, yeah, haven't tested the water, but did 2 weeks ago, and the standard for my tank is 0 amonia, 0 nitrite, and high on the nitrate scale. I keep doing regular water changes, but this seems to have no effect. Hope that info might help.

Edited by Mav

The temp changes could have causes more stress on your fish. I think you might want to try using some melafix since extra water changes arent working :)

melafix is good stuff...my fish got finrot once, and I used only melafix, and that cleared it immediately.

Guest jiiglypuff

i've learned from other posters that putting a bottle of frozen water into the tank can help alleviate some of the heat.

and make sure that the salt doens't have preservatives... i.e. table salt has.

and i'm using melafix too:-) but my fish is having SEVERE fin rot and had ulcers as of 2 days ago that are healed:-)

Melifix worked wonders on my Oranda when he had fin rot.

off the top, how high on the nitrate scale are we talking here. nitrates at a level of 50ppm or higher will cause tail-rot or fin shredding. if your nitrates are any higher than that, do a series of water changes over the next couple of hours. to bring them down to like 20ppm and keep them there with weekly water changes. do as many as it takes. clean water alone will allow your goldies fins to heal. if you dont clean up the nitrates and you decide to medicate, itll only happen again if your not careful with the nitrates.

once youve gotten the nitrates down below 30-40ppm and they stay there, your goldies fins will heal themselves. melafix can help expedite this process.

do not use any medications or additives until youve tested for nitrates and see if they are the culprit. if they are too high for your fish, do as many water changes as neccessary to bring them down to 20ppm or less. only then should you decide to medicate. if you decide to medicate, just use the aquarium salt that you have. anytime a treatment calls for salt, use aquarium salt unless it says otherwise. epsoms is the only other kind of salt that should be used but, it should only be used if it specifically calls for it. if the salt alone wont cure it, you might try melafix.

temperature swings can and will cause fins to become shredded and/or a boost in harmful bacterial populations. using the frozen water bottles that were mentioned above is a good way to combat high heat. also, when it gets hot like that again, try adding extra aeration as oxygen becomes less available at higher temps.

hope this helps! :)

Edited by toothless

And when using medication, you might want to try a medicine that comes in tablets in a box. One tablet per 10 gallons. 1/2 tablet per 5 gallons.... and it is by the compant Jungle, called Tank Buddies, Fungus Clear, for Freshwater. Here is a site that tells you what it looks like; http://www.mops.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/sk...0.asp?E+scstore

and from anoter site, here is it's description of the tablet's;

'""Click Image to enlarge

Fungus Clear Tank Buddies

Fizzes as it removes fungus, bacteria related conditions, and secondary infections safely from the water.

Dosage: Remove any carbon from the filter system. Add 1 tablet for every 10 gallons of aquarium water.

If needed, add a second dose in 4 days.

Change 25% of the water before adding this second dose. Treats fungus, tail, fin or mouth rot, clamped fins, dropsy, and hemorrhagic septicemia.'"

I'm sure high nitrates are the "cause" of this...and I do my weekly water changes. But it never seems to make a difference. And I didn't think you were supposed to change out 50% -- or more -- of the water every week.

We're moving someplace cooler, which should help. As this is very mild-looking, should I just do a big water change, and not worry about salt right now? And how are you supposed to get out nitrates if reg. water changes don't take out enough?

--Mav

basically, when you hear about somebodies water change regemine and theyve got low nitrates, that regemine is what works for their tanks. you basically have to find that balance of nitrates and water changes for your tank on your own. many aquarists have a tank that requires a large amount of water to be changed each week and then have another tank that doeasnt need a water change for 2 weeks. it varies from tank to tank. if youve got a steady ph and theirs no nitrates or ammonia/nitrites coming from your tap, you can change as much water as it takes. i agree that 50% is a little bit much but, whatever works, works........ :)

and sure, salt would help the healing process along a bit.

i hope your goldies heal up nice and quick for you! :D

Guest kratz99

Plants use a little bit of the nitrates, its like fertilizer. Salt is good even if their not sick.

Good news!!!

I did a near-50% water change on Friday or Saturday, and started salting the tank the same time.

Ran the nitrate test today, and found my numbers had gone from like, the 40-80 range [honestly, can anybody tell those 2 reds apart?!] to, like TEN!

:panana:happydance:nana

I used to be much better about putting in a small dose of aquarium salt when I changed the tank, and somehow, stopped doing that. I have duly learned my lesson.

--Mav