Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dixie

Ick, Now Scales Falling Off

Well, Curly was treated for Ick. I put him back into his tank on appox June 10. Now he is losing his scales.

I am going to put him back in the 10 gallon tank and salt it. How much should I use?? I have already put in 2 tablespoon for the 10 gallons of water. But I don't think it is enough :huh: I was thinking of treating him with fungus clear by tank buddies. It takes care of alot of bacterial infections.

I don't Know if it is an bacterial infection. His scales are turning light in color and then fall off. :ill He is acting normal and eating.

So maybe I should try the Salt first. But everyday he looks like more scales are coming off.

Please Help. :cry1

are the scales falling off in random scattered spots or is it all in one main area?

Oh when treating for ich you gradually rise the salt level to .3%

Cant remember the exact dosage... someone else should know this :)

Edited by fishfaye20

are the scales falling off in random scattered spots or is it all in one main area?

a few in a row, but mostly scattered. More on the left side than the right. :huh:

how is the fish now?? still swimming and eating like normal?? are there are fishes or pleco around??

the scales could have been damaged by the ich, thus dropping off while the fish is healing.. just like our finger nail or toe nail.. if crushed, the nail will fall off after sometime while it is healing..

another possibility is that the scale being weak at this point, dropped even with the slightest bump onto the ornaments around the tank..

if there are ornaments, best remove them during this period lest it scratch on the part with no scale and the wound will be worse!!

keep water as clean as possible.. keep nitrAte as low as possible.. scale takes quite a while to grow back.. depending on how serious is the damage.. reduce feeding if required to keep nitrAte low.. keep water salted between 0.1-0.2% salt which is 1 - 2 teaspoon of salt per gallon..

keep water well aerated too.. if required, add additional air stone... this helps to remove any excessive carbon dioxide that contribute to acid formation which will affect fish during recovery..

if fish is weak, best isolate him to hospital tank.. this is to prevent other fishes from biting it.. fishes tends to nibble on those stationery fishes, so if your fish has stopped swimming, or looks weak, prepare the hospital tank with water from the tank.. add salt as suggested.. maintain the tank with low feeding.. add air stone for more air and removal of carbon dioxide.. then change water with treated/aged water frequently and replaced lost salt from water change according to the % of water changed..

hope this helps..

by the way, dun use any medication during this period..

cheers

how is the fish now?? still swimming and eating like normal??

:hi I put him in a 10 gallon hospital tank and have .2% salt in it.

He Eating, swimming seem as happy as he can be :lol: I hope he keeps it up.

I hope it is just Ick Damage and not another infection.

Thank for your help

If anyone has any other suggestions, please reply..