Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest 001

I Need A Filter!

Guest 001

i think its time i got a filter for my tank!

i didnt htink it was necessary but now i know better :(

i have a 10 gallon tank with two goldies. what kinda filter shouldi be loking out for that is not too expensive or noisy and does a good job.?

also im kinda confused abotu what types of filters there are? are there small filters that wont take up my fish space?

arent there many diferent types? if i get a filter, will it filter up all the fish gunk at the botom of the gravel? or will i stil need to vacuum the gravel anyway?

oky..thanks for reading :D

hey there!

Well since you got 2 goldies in a 10gal you should maybe try getting a filter designed for a tank a little larger than a 10gal so it will help stay cleaner. I personally like "hang on the back" filters, and that would prolly be the best kind for a 10gal. But dont get one too big b/c then there will be way too much of a current and stress the fish. In my 10gal and 5 gal tanks i have Whisper filters which work pretty good. Ive used Whisper, Penguin, and Aquaclears, which all work pretty good.

One more thing.. a filter with a bio~wheel is always good because that collects the beneficial bacteria and you dont ever replace the wheel. The problem with some filters is that they only have one filter pad and when you replace the whole filter with a clean new one the cycle can be lost so its good to have one with 2 filter pads or w/ 1 filter pad and a biowheel. :)

Edited by fishfaye20

KOKO has this article on filters.. perhaps you would like to read it as a guide..

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/Filtration.html

the only filter that is not included in the articles is the internal filter where the whole filter media attaching to the power head is soaked into the water.. this is a very efficient filter where all debris will be stuck onto the filter media and most LFS uses option.. but the downside, it takes up valuable space, and all food will be sucked up and all debris is still left inside the tank.. cleaning this filter is quite a difficult task as you have to put both hand into the tank and remove the filter as carefully as possible to prevent the debris be freed into the tank again.. and this cause a lot of disturbance to the fish..

another effective and cheap filter is the under gravel.. but risk is involved with under gravel is not clean frequently.. as under gravel being so effective, much debris are trapped under the rocks and once released, the fishes may suffer a sudden ammonia spike, or toxic attack (can be fatal) or growth or parasite etc.. gravel will required a substantial amount of maintenance... the advantage is the efficiency and its decorative nature..

if you are looking for filters that will not take up space, then look at external filters like wet-dry or cannister filters.. I personally using the wet-dry filter as it is a cheaper option, easy to clean, easy to maintain... cannister filters are very good filters, of course the price tag is the highest among all the choices.. a good canister filter can easily cost hundreds of dollars..

the hang by the side type of filters such as power filter and bio wheel filters are top filters that helps to circulate the water at the top.. basically, much less known to many, tank water are split layers as time goes by where chemical of lower density will float on the top and those heavier chemical will sink to the bottom.. therefore it is more effective in adopt a top and bottom filtration to fully circulate the water.. the main advantage of such filter is the introduction of water fall.. another advantage is the aeration feature.. with water fall, a substantial amount of air is introduced into the water as well...

that's it. everything briefly.. as for UV sterilizer, it is one of the most expensive equipment for aquarium.. it doesn't filter debris but provide addition function to the filtration that kills harmful bacteria.. if not used carefully, it may crash tank cycle as it kills all the benefitial bacteria.. worse, there is a risk of fish being killed after being exposed to too much leaking UV.. well, these are base on feedbacks from the earlier UV users.. but as technology improve, there are more people using UV and less of such complaints that I have jus mentioned.. many people over here will be able to share their experience with you..

another tip.. get at least 2 filter.. so you can clean out 1 filter leaving the other filter in function without having to worry that you will over clean the first filter that will crash your cycle as the second filter is still in place..

oh i just noticed your last question... Yes you still have to vacuum/syphon the gravel. Id suggest everyother day waterchanges taking out 2gals or 20%

Make sure you use a water conditioner too. good luck on filter shopping!

Guest iPodGirl

I suggest a Penguin with a bio-wheel. Since you have a 10g with two fish, I recommend a Penguin 125 or 170 (I have the 170). I love the fact that the biowheel holds the biobugs and you never have to replace it.

Guest 001

! thanks for the many replies!

by the sounds of it. i need an external filter that has a bio wheel?

is that possible? im still abit confused :(

i still dont get how the undergravel filter works?

so the debris and gunk sinks below the filter and then wehre does it go? does it get sucked out somehwere out of the wtaer? or does it just remain in the water?

so wouldnt an external filter always be better than an internal filter? becuase if it was internal, regardless of the debri being filtered in the filter, it will still be immersed in the water?

as with the wet/dry filter, is that internal or external?

this is all very confusing to me.

please help i fyou can :)

thank you

Guest laserblast

I would suggest that you not even consider an underground filter. They're too much of a hassle to clean (without ruining the biological properties it holds) and they're not very effective. Plus, they only provide biologial filtration and it's important to have (atleast) mechanical filtration as well as chemical.

I would recommend either an AquaClear200 or one of the Penguins that are mentioned above. They're both hang-on (external) filters and will make your goldies very happy :)

Laserblast's suggestions are good ones. I have both aquaclears and a penguin, and I like both, they are very nice filters that are quiet and easy to maintain, and do a good job of filtering. Since you have 2 fish, if you decide to get a penguin, the 170 would probably be a better choice than the 125. I definately recommend that you not consider getting an undergravel filter, I've had one in the past and they are very high maintainance and impossible to keep clean, and can become toxic if not cleaned properly.

Guest 001

okay

i went to the fish store today. and i got a filter which was rather cheap internal one. the lady explained to me all the types of filter they had available, and i guess this filter that i got sounded alright. its kinda small though with a charcoal and sponge bit inside it.

is aw the aquaclear one that you guys were talkign about, but didnt see the penguin one. the aquaclear one didnt work out coz my tank doesnt allow filters to be hanged externally becuase it has this glass thing blocking it, and it was rather large as well. so i the lady recommended a small internal one.

i think its called the heto? hopefully it does a decent job! :S

*fingers crossed*

toherwise i gotta invest in a NEW one :o