Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest auntkim

Goldfish Hasn't Eaten For 5 To 6 Days

Guest auntkim

Ammonia Level - WELL WITHIN NORMAL RANGE

Tank size(How many Gals) and How long has it been running? - 55 GALLONS - RUNNING FOR ABOUT 5 YEARS - MOVED TANK FROM ONE HOUSE TO ANOTHER ABOUT 5 MONTHS AGO. FISH HAVE ALL BEEN TOGETHER SINCE THE BEGINNING.

Nitrite Level? - WELL WITHIN NORMAL RANGE

How often do you change the water and how much? - ALMOST EVERY DAY, ABOUT 5 TO 10 GALLONS AT A TIME FOLLOWED BY THE APPROPRIATE AMOUNT OF TETRA AQUASAFE WATER CONDITIONER.

Nitrate Level? - WELL WITHIN NORMAL RANGE

Filtration? CARBON FILTERS & BUBBLE STONES - ALSO UNDERGRAVEL FILTER

Ph Level - WELL WITHIN NORMAL RANGE

Water additives/conditioners? TETRA AQUASAFE WATER CONDITIONER

What do you feed your fish? FLAKES, PELLETS, KRILL, OCEAN PLANKTON, BRINE SHRIMP, TUBIFEX WORMS, BLOOD WORMS

Medications add to the tank? - NONE YET

How many fish in the tank and there size? - 3 GOLDFISH (8", 7" & 4"), 2 ALGAE EATERS (1 1/2" & 7"), AND 1 OTHER WHITE BOTTOM FEEDER BUT I DON'T KNOW WHAT KIND, JUST THAT HE IS VERY PASSIVE AND NEVER BOTHERS ANYONE ELSE EVER.

Any new fish added to the tank? - ADDED THE 7" ALGAE EATER ABOUT 5 MONTHS AGO WHEN I MOVED. EVERYTHING HAS SEEMED FINE WITH HIM SO FAR. EXCEPT FOR ONE TIME RECENTLY HE WAS LOOKING FOR FOOD AND MOVED FROM SUCKING THE GLASS TO SUCKING ON MY GOLDFISH'S BODY! IT WAS OBVIOUSLY AN ACCIDENT BUT IT HAPPENED. MY GOLDFISH LOST A SCALE ON THAT ONE! THIS IS THE GOLDFISH THAT APPEARS SICK NOW.

Any unusual findings on the fish? Such as "grains of salt", bloody streaks, frayed fins, fungus Any unusual behavior? Like staying at the bottom, not eating, ect.. - ONLY SIGN ARE ABOUT 3 TINY WHITE DOTS ON HIS HEAD, NEAR HIS GILL. HE'S SLUGGISH WHEN THEY'RE THERE, THEN SOMETIMES THEY GO AWAY AND HE'S FINE, THEN THEY CAME BACK A COUPLE OF TIMES AND THIS TIME THEY DON'T FULLY GO AWAY. HE DOESN'T SWIM MUCH, ONLY IF HE HAS TO, HE HANGS OUT NEAR THE CORNERS BY HIMSELF, AND HAS ONLY EATEN ONCE IN THE LAST 6 DAYS. HE CHOMPED ON THE SMALL PIECE OF KRILL FOR ABOUT 5 MINUTES, THEN SUDDENLY SPIT THE REST OUT. ALSO, LOTS OF SPITTING IN ADDITION TO KEEPING HIS MOUTH TIGHTLY SHUT AND TURNING HIS HEAD AWAY. ONE GOOD SIGN IS THAT HE DOES RESPOND TO MY VOICE (I TALK TO THEM ALL THE TIME) AND SOMETIMES HE WILL TRY TO EAT RIGHT OUT OF MY HAND BUT USUALLY ENDS UP SPITTING IT OUT, NO MATTER WHAT IT IS. HE STILL GOES TO THE BATHROOM, BUT IT'S NOT AS MUCH AS USUAL AND HAS BEEN LONG AND THIN AND EITHER CLEAR OR WHITE.

I feel like my fish is dying but I don't know why. I do everything I know I should do, they are very well taken care of in a beautiful, clean, well-aerated tank, I just know there's something wrong when he won't eat for this long. He usually eats very regularly and with no spitting.

If anyone has any suggestions, PLEASE let me know. He is my favorite fish and he's like my child. :crp (By the way, I say "he" but I do know it is a female...just that I had already named him before I knew the sex.)

I would GREATLY APPRECIATE any help!

Thanks so much!

Kim

Guest nycgirl123

well you could try adding one tablespoon of salt per gallon to your tank, i read that it relieves any stress of water quality and helps with the healing process for whatever may be wrong with your fish...im not so sure about treatment though...i hope your fish starts eating soon.

Please just use one teaspoon of salt per gallon. That will result in a .1% salt solution One tablespoon would give you a .3% solution, and that is too much for use as a general picker upper. The .3% solution is the amout of salt used to treat parsites.

Personally, I use one tablespoon per 5ga.

Rick

Could he have something stuck in his throat?

ADDED THE 7" ALGAE EATER EXCEPT FOR ONE TIME RECENTLY HE WAS LOOKING FOR FOOD AND MOVED FROM SUCKING THE GLASS TO SUCKING ON MY GOLDFISH'S BODY!

That is actually a normal behaviour from an adult algea eater- they will suck on the fish if they are able to.

Edited by featherjinxer

isnt spitting and clear, white poop a sign of internal parasites?

But i really doubt that because you havent had anything that is very new to the tank and no1 else is acting odd. my goldies will have that kinda poo once in a while 2.

Sorry i cant really help ya out but one thing you should do is get the algae eaters away from the goldfish. If you dont have another tank then just get a tank divider

first of all...

:welcome

the fish could have been stressed out.. is it still swimming like before or hiding?? any prominent sign of sickness or rot?? any sign of injuries?? or have u added anything new to the tank recently?? or change anything??

if situation gets bad, isolate the fish in a quarantine tank filled with treated/aged water.. add an airstone and add 0.1% salt (1 teaspoon salt per gallon).. let the fish relax for another day then slowly introduce some sinking food that is its favourite.. do not feed too much for now..

hope this helps and keep us posted..

Guest auntkim

You guys are all SO AWESOME and I thank you SO MUCH!!

I did a 20% water change and made sure to add conditioner to the new water, then I added salt at 1 teaspoon per gallon, actually a little less than that.

My fish is responding! :nana

He actually ate today!!! :D

Somewhere on this site I read that goldfish can't resist blood worms no matter how sick they are. Well, I knew my fish needed SOMETHING to eat because he hadn't eaten anything for SO LONG. I took a pinch of blood worms and went into the water and down to him and he kind of waited, then looked out at me, then opened his mouth and started sucking on my fingers that had the blood worms in them.

He chomped and chomped and NEVER spit them out! I gave him a tiny bit more twice today and he responds each time, just acts like he can't handle too much, just a little bit at a time.

But, he's swimming around more, he has more energy, and things really seem to be looking up. He could very well have been stressed out about something, because he seems to get stressed more than my others, but I really don't know what it was. Thank goodness the other 2 goldfish really seem to try to guard him and take care of him when they seem to know he's not quite right.

:thanks SO MUCH AGAIN, YOU GUYS, FOR TAKING THE TIME TO RESPOND TO ME! My goldfish are my life :rolleyes: and I appreciate your help more than you know! Forrest thanks you, too!!! :lol:

:iwill

Guest auntkim

Oh, yeah...thanks also "fi5hkiller" for the suggestion of feeding him sinking food that's his favorite. The sinking food worked like a charm...he went racing after it as soon as he started to see it fall.

This is so cool!!!

Thanks again!!! :hi