Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fishfaye20

Tall Tanks

I wanted to get another tropical tank because im soo happy with my 46gal and am really getting back into tropicals (goldies are still the fave tho!) ;)

I wanted to have a bigger tank in my room but the thing is I dont have too much room, right now my dresser is cluttered with a gerbil in a 10gal tank, 5 gal tank, and a hermit crab, and theres a corner in my room that has a stand holding a 10gal. I wanted to put a tall tank in place of where the 10 gal is so it will take up less room.

So what kind of fish are good for taller tanks? I heard that the more surface area the better and taller tanks dont have as much as long tanks.

So any ideas here on what fish? Also anyone know where to find good priced tanks? Because this is gonna have 2 come out of my wallet, i know my mom will be like "Your buying this all by yourself, Im sick of all these FISHTANKS!" lol

Thanks guys :)

ooops, just realized this was "Goldfish tanks"

shoulda posted under tropicals, sorry!

well, you jus answered your question.. tall tank indeed provide lesser surface area.. less surface area = less air contact = less air absorbtion = potential problems..

usually in a tank that is deprived of air, the larger are the first to die off first while the smaller ones are the last to die as small fishes need lesser air to survive.. as goldfishes will grow to quite a size, such tank is not recommended for goldfishes..

if you insist, it is still possible.. go for smaller fishes that will not grow too big.. fake fish that swim with all the bubbles will be a good choice too :P

hope this helps

oh i wasnt planing on going with goldfish...

So you said small fish are best huh, Whats the biggest i can get away with? B/c i really like fish that are at least like 4 inches full grown, little guys are kinda boring to me lol :P

What about Angel fish? I heard those are good for tall tanks, is that true?

4 inch is too big.. small should be full grown at 1 - 2 inch max.. anything bigger is very risky for 1-2inch already risky depending on the surface area provided..

will be good if you can provide the dimension of the tank and we will see..

I dont have the tank yet, but I was thinking maybe a 30gal lemme see if i can find a link to something im looking for

usually such tanks are better as coral tank.. or plant tanks.. dun believe in the third picture that consist several goldfishes in it.. it looks good, but many people here will advise you not to keep goldfish in tanks with odd shape..

these tanks will be great for tetras too.. guppies, swordfishes.. those aren't big fishes and they look great in those tanks.. there are many other options too.. but small fishes are better choice..

check out this website.. it has quite a wide variety of fishes you can read up on..

http://www.liveaquaria.com/

yea i hate it when they put poor goldfish where they dont belong... just like how they advertise goldfish in bowls! <_<

Oh but my goldies are spoiled.. fancies are in a 55gal and one of the big ponds is full of shubunkins, commons, and comets. :D

well i guess im gonna have to forget the whole tall tank thing... id rather just find somewhere else for a long tank so i can have the fish i want! Im just not into the small guys anymore.. I just filled my empty other tank w/ 3 tinfoil barbs, 3 bala sharks, and 3 silver dollars just last month and i really like em after having all small fish forever! cant wait til they get big. O well time to beg the mom for a nice long tank, hmm maybe another 55gal!

Thanks for all the help tho :)

in fact a 55 gallon long rectangular tank will be a better investment.. you can use it as goldfish tank or tank for other fishes or even mammal and reptiles..

Happy hunting and good luck in convincing your mum..

cheers.

Guest rme1964

For Tropicals, Angels tend to due well in tall tanks. Angels can get large though so if you want five or six they will outgrow a 30 gallon tank. I kept 6 in a 55 gallon hex for awhile but they got fairly big and I moved them to a community 150 gallon tank.

Goldfish are just not generally suitable for such tanks in my opinion.