Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest fancyfins

"all In One" Tanks

Guest fancyfins

As I explained in my intro, I?m just doing the research on setting up my first tank. The information available here and elsewhere on the internet is fantastic but I?m getting some conflicting opinions of a few things.

Here is Australia, you can buy ?all in one? tanks that come with a light fitting and trickle filtration contained in the hood. They have curved glass fronts and come in a range of shapes but I'd be choosing a basically rectangular one for maximum surface area.

They are made by Jebo and Aquaone. Provided that I don?t overstock the tank, are these suitable for goldfish? I know that good filtration is very important so I wanted to know if such filtration was adequate.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Wendy

Most people would say as long as the flow rate is 10x the size of the tank, per hour, then the filter is great. IE tank size of 30 gallons you need 300 gph flow rate.

Personally my goldfish do fine with less, 6x. I think the size of the media is more important (sponge, bio-stars, ceramic ring, etc) - so more sponges in the filter = good

howdi and welcome :) I've seen these tanks at my lfs too and i think maybe they are too small for goldfish, i mean the ones i've seen are only like 20L (i've given up converting, convert it yourselves!! GO METRIC) maybe... and goldies need nearly 40L each. Look in like the trading post n stuff (dont know where in aus you are) and find a second hand tank, or there are some places that sell cheap tanks around.

And yea as was posted by mkinga goldies are dirty and need extra filtration, the filter that comes with the package probably isn't enough for goldfish. Some packages say "Up to 50L tanks" and so forth, but its better to look at the L/hr to get an accurate gauge as goldies need more.

But if there are bigger ones of those tanks (i'm sure there are i just havent seen any) you can always add another filter to aid the inbuilt one.

Edited by svendenhowser

Hi Fancyfins, I have four of these tanks. Two 34L (7g) and two 140L (35g). The brands I have are Jebo and AquaOne. There are lots of other brands around but spreaking from experience the ones I have are great, especially when starting out as all your equipment is included. Good luck.

Guest fancyfins

Thanks Fishmerised!

So you don't use any additional filtration with your Jebos? I plan to get a larger one (140 litres sounds good) and to only put two or three fish in it.

:lol: No, I don't use any extra filtration because the set-up is super powerful. In fact in the smaller tanks the current is really strong - but the fish get used to it. There was only one fish that couldn't hack the current but he is a funny shape and can't take any water movement at all. He is in a filterless tank until he grows bigger and hopefully stronger.

Guest Clear Water

Converted for my fellow Yanks

I think this is correct

1 imperial gal. = 4.546 liters

1 US gal = 3.785 liters

20 liters = 5.2 US gals or 4.4 imperial gals

40 liters = 10.1 US gals or 8.8 imperial gals

34 liters = 8.9 US gals or 7.4 imperial gals

140 liters = 37 US gals or 31 imperial gals

Thanks Clearwater for the conversion. My tanks are bigger than I thought! bargain! :lol:

By the way...those "all in one" tanks you're pointing out to is actually more expensive than an ordinary one. They look nice tho but i don't think that it's a good investment. I suggest you get an ordinary tank and buy all those other stuff individually. And just imagine, if one of the things in your "all in one" tank broke, then you have to throw the whole thing away or still have to get some spare parts.

Your right, they are more expensive but I like the curved glass look and neatness of everything. Also my 35g (sorry 37g) tanks are only 2ft long - they are quite tall. This is cool as you don't need as much floor space.

All the filter and light parts are replaceable, but I guess if part of the hood frame broke you would have to buy a whole new hood. This would be expensive but it's not likely to happen.

I like svendenhowser's tidea of adding an extra (portable) filter in the all-in-one tank, it's definitely a good idea to keep some extra bacteria for backup:) My only problem with the all-on-one tank is it's expensive new (remember you'll have to find a stand as well to go with it - but since it's all-in-one not needing floorspace etc, maybe you can put it one a generic strong table that you already have). My only problem with curved tank (I have a 60L/15G setup) is that curved usually means acrylic which scratches easier than glass. The pros though is it's lighter and easier to carry around empty.

I personally think those all-in-one tanks are so easy to manage, i.e. for cleaning just remove the top part and voila. If you get a medium to large end of those kind of tanks, I think it will be perfect for 2 fancy goldfish (like what I'm planning 2 do), just add extra filtration idea if you think the flow is not strong enough.

All-in-one tanks though are usually never the large type, so limits your ability to expand. On the other hand I think if you keep them well, they can easily have second hand value than the conventional glass+wooden stand types (which is hard to keep new looking), and trade it with a bigger tank in the near future :D