Kokos Goldfish Forum
fish10

New member, tank set up questions

Hello! I am looking forward to getting goldfish in the near future, but for now I'm researching and taking my time to (hopefully) set things up properly with a fishless cycle. Advice is welcome and appreciated.

I tested the tap water first, with the following results: 

• High Range pH:  7.5
  • Ammonia:  0
  • Nitrite:  0
  • Nitrate:  0

I added Flourite black sand with a few rocks and a java fern, and the filter has been running for a couple days. I retested the water for a baseline (before I planned on adding ammonia), with these results:

• High Range pH:  8.3
  • Ammonia:  0
  • Nitrite:  0
  • Nitrate:  3-5?

Do the elevated pH and Nitrate levels make sense? Is there anything else I should consider before adding the ammonia (using the Fishless Cycle guide on this site)?

Its interesting that your ph went up after the sand and rocks went in.

I would say go ahead and get your ammonia going. Keep an eye on the ph.....

:welcome

Thanks for the feedback! 

I added the ammonia today and am now waiting... :whistle

Day 1 of the fishless cycle, I slowly added ammonia until I got the following readings:

• High Range pH:  8.4
  • Ammonia:  4.0
  • Nitrite:  0.0
  • Nitrate:  0.0

Today is Day 7 of the cycle:

• High Range pH:  8.2
  • Ammonia:  3.0
  • Nitrite:  1.0
  • Nitrate:  5.0

I did add an Anubias and some marimo moss balls, but that is the only change from Day 1. I wasn't expecting to see Nitrites/Nitrates yet? Is this unexpected? Are there any adjustments I should make? 

IMG_20200703_204848_538.jpg

Hey there,

You did a good thing. Plants can help with cycling....now that the nitrites are at 1ppm you will need to do some water changes to keep it below 1ppm. Higher than 1 can stall the cycle. 😲

Ah, ok. Thanks for the info. 

How much water should I change out? 50%? More? Or whatever it takes to get nitrites back to 0? 

I appreciate the input. I wasn't planning on water changes until much later in the process... Still learning. :)

5 hours ago, fish10 said:

Ah, ok. Thanks for the info. 

How much water should I change out? 50%? More? Or whatever it takes to get nitrites back to 0? 

I would do 50% then test the nitrites and ammonia. Get the nitrites down. Then add your ammonia back in. Once your ammonia is being consumed in the cycle. You will be good.

This is the hard part.

5 hours ago, fish10 said:

I appreciate the input. I wasn't planning on water changes until much later in the process... Still learning. :)

Your doing great 👍

If I'm understanding you correctly, the plants helped push me into Week 4 of the fishless cycling (based on the article here) in terms of nitrites?

Here's what I did: 

1) 50% water change with this result:

• Ammonia:  0.25
  • Nitrite:  2.0

I can only assume that the nitrites continued to elevate between early yesterday when I measured and tonight before I changed the water, because after a 50% water change, the nitrite levels increased (they were 1.0 yesterday morning; should have re-tested before the water change tonight).

2) I then did a 75% water change with this result:

• Ammonia:  0.0
  • Nitrite:  0.5

3) Added ammonia to bring it back to:

• Ammonia:  3.0-4.0 range

Will I have to check levels every day and do water changes if nitrites again rise above 1.0? And also monitor for adding more ammonia if it drops below a certain level?

At what point do I add Prime? 

Again, I can't thank you enough for the guidance! 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.