Kokos Goldfish Forum

Posted (edited)

Hi, I have a large pond about 5000lt, a goldfish because very listless the other month and I removed it to a small tank but he never improved, breathing slowly but just hanging in there. The other week there were two dead fish and yesterday  a fish I had been watching that was obviously having problems i removed from the pond about put it out of its distress.

It had a white mark on its chest, the other fish had the same. Any ideas? Thanks

I have inserted a photo.

IMG_20200531_210610.jpg

Edited by RuralescapesPortugal
Photo added

To me it looks like it has been injured by something,  there looks to be a lot of scales missing. Is there anything that it could have got stuck in or any predators in the area?

My other though was some sort of fungal thing @koko, what do you think?

Thanks, I don't think it was a predictor, the other fish that died was very similar, here is a photo of it. Both were still alive just about swimming.IMG_20200419_195902.thumb.jpg.29491aa672eac2844a4c9e0fa10eb271.jpg

By the photo there doesnt seem to be any damage to fins? Is that right?

Were the white patches fuzzy at all?

Correct, no fin damage. I don't think the areas were fuzzy, just white, sort of clear, like the scales had come off. The fish were really listless and just about breathing. 

Whats got me here is the flesh looks to be torn off on the first photo. What kind of filtration do you have? Do you have plants or logs ?

Ive seen damage like that from some of the sucker mouth style fish, and heater burns.  Huh.

Hi Koko, it's an open pond, there is no filtration, it's natural spring water, i use the water for watering the plants and refill it. From the spring water. I have 3 koi carp in the pond about 20cm long and about 15 goldfish ranging from 5 to 10 cm, there were a few plants but they gave been eaten, there are a few rocks in the pond but not much else. It was originally just a water store in case of fire or drought, I was watering directly from the water tank which is pumped up From the spring and then decided to use Pond water as a bio Fertilizer for the plants I am growing, so I water some with the pond water and then top up from the tank. It could be the dog has been in there but I didn't think it was. I will check the picture and see if it happens again and try to do a more thorough checking of the fish. Thanks Ellis

I've had fish with that sort of scale damage when they've got trapped under something or the time one fish got stuck inside the pump casing. But that also came with fin damage so it's really bizarre to me :o