Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
c_ramkalawan

Fish mouth disease

Hi, cam anyone advise what this is an how it can be treated? It looks like a mouth ulcer.

20200508_200415.jpg

Hi there! That does look like an ulcer, those are unusual in aquarium fish, honestly.  Can you fill out this form in more detail and give me a detailed history of this fish and the tank, so I know what’s going on and what animals and plants may have come in at various points?

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank)

* Nitrite Level(Tank)

* Nitrate level(Tank)

* Ammonia Level(Tap)

* Nitrite Level(Tap)

* Nitrate level(Tap)

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

* Water temperature?

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

* How often do you change the water and how much?

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

* How many fish in the tank and their size?

* What kind of water additives or conditioners?

* What do you feed your fish and how often?

* Any new fish added to the tank?

* Any medications added to the tank?

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Hi this is a new fish I got 2 days ago along with one other. I have only just set up my 46 galllon tank using filter media from an established tank. This fish was bought with this issue as such its not the current tank that caused the problem. It would have been in a pond with many other large goldfish. It is not currently eating and given the corona lock down situation I cant really carry it back where i bought it. Willing to try anything at this stage to keep it alive..

Please try to fit that into the form above, I’ll use it to refer back to as we treat so I don’t get confused trying to bounce around different posts :)

We have several things we can try, it just depends on the availability of medication in your area.

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank) 0.25ppm

* Nitrite Level(Tank) 0

* Nitrate level(Tank) 0

* Ammonia Level(Tap)

* Nitrite Level(Tap)

* Nitrate level(Tap)

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.2

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Api drops

* Water temperature?

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 46 gallons, set up 2 days ago with the bfilter media and biomax from am established 70 gallon tank

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aquaclear 70 and AQuaclear 50

* How often do you change the water and how much? Rifht niw every two days 25% 

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

* How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 large orandas aboit 5 inches body size 

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Api stress coat and stress zyme

* What do you feed your fish and how often? Hikari oranda gold once daily

* Any new fish added to the tank? Yes both are new and purchased fri 2 days ago

* Any medications added to the tank? No just a little rock salt

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Ulcer on 1 fish mouth, fins and body clear

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?  1 with ulcer not eating, i have tried hand feeding him and he spits it back out

20200510_122126.jpg

Okay, your pH isn’t terribly alkaline, so we can try furan 2, if you’re able to get that in your location.  You don’t want to treat the whole tank, this is something a smaller hospital tank is better suited for, ten gallons is a good size for it but a five gallon bucket changed twice daily works too.

You’ll need a heater and a separate air stone for that as well, if you can. Furan 2 can be used in conjunction with other antibiotics, so if this doesn’t look any better after a week of treatment I’ll recommend adding in kanamycin it’s oxytetracycline to the treatment regimen.

Primarily though, your job is to administer this and watch the water quality unlike a hawk.  As soon as you hit .25ppms ammonia it’s time for a 100% water change and a full redose of the medication.  

You’ll want to keep an eye on your main tank too, since it looks like an uncycled tank your other fish will have to ride out the maturation of the filter, which can be dangerous and stressful for the animal.  Refer to this page for how to keep things healthy with a fish-in cycle.

https://www.kokosgoldfish.com/cycle.html

Thanks is furan 2 something i cam buy in a pharmacy?

If you can get your pharmacy for dispense pet prescriptions without a vet, where are you located?  In the US, Australia, and the U.K. its easiest to buy online, but I know places like India and Thailand have some different rules.  The script you’d need is for nitrofurazone, it kanamycin sulfate if that doesn’t work on its own in a week.

On 5/10/2020 at 9:53 AM, Arctic Mama said:

If you can get your pharmacy for dispense pet prescriptions without a vet, where are you located?  In the US, Australia, and the U.K. its easiest to buy online, but I know places like India and Thailand have some different rules.  The script you’d need is for nitrofurazone, it kanamycin sulfate if that doesn’t work on its own in a week.

The OP lives in Trinidad. :) 

Okay, that could definitely make things trickier! But yeah, a broad spectrum gram negative antibiotic is a good choice here.  For dips/swabs some methylene blue would also be helpful, and that should be available locally :)

Thank you both, the guy I bought him from took him back to treat him, and I sharedyour advice with him. He will have a better chance without the added stress of my tank cycling. 

Definitely keep your tank going with a fish less cycle and we are happy to help you our with that :)