Kokos Goldfish Forum
jessmariefraze

Fish suddenly died after two years

I really need some answers. I’ve been a goldfish hobbyist for about 6 years now so I consider myself pretty well knowledgeable when it comes to goldfish care and illness but what happened with my batch of 3 fish that I’ve had in the same tank for 2 years has left me completely dumbfounded. I had 3 fancy goldfish in a 20 gallon tank (yes you’re thinking it’s too small but I follow the 1 gallon per inch rule and all 3 of my fish were only 1 inch long as I kept there water cold and didn’t feed them enough to grow big on purpose.) The filter I have is an aqua clear 50 and I cycled it two years ago for this batch of fish. I take great pride in the health of my fish, doing water changes weekly and always checking the parameters. I usually use prime water conditioner but I ran out and the next available thing was Tetra Aquasafe. It was brand new, used a few times for my betta fish, and it wasn’t expired. I followed the directions exactly on the container using 4 teaspoons since my aquarium is 20 gallons. My fish were perfectly fine and healthy, I went to shower, and when I went back to the tank all 3 of them were dead. I am extremely upset and very confused on how they died. The water parameters were perfect, I recently treated them for flukes, and they where very healthy fish. Does anyone know what could’ve possibly happened?? All opinions or suggestions welcome. Thank you 

How big of a waterchange did you do

90% water change just like I do every 3 days for the past 2 years. The only factor that changed was the new water conditioner but I can’t believe that would’ve just killed my fish, you know?

Ive never used tetra aquasafe but according to the online calculator i found 37.5mls is needed for a 20gallon tank. Four teaspoons is only about 20mls.  I think yyou may have not used enough to make the water safe. Otherwise did you make sure the temperature matched? 

Apart from that restricting food and keeping fish in a smaller tank to keep fish small isnt at all heathy for them.  You do a good amount of Water changes but the 1 inch per gallon rule is really outdated and Ive never found it to really be effective.

Yes the temperature matched. I’ve never had a problem with my fish in the 20 gallon and it’s not unhealthy to keep them small. I’m not restricting food, the water is cold so they don’t need to eat as much. I am in school for Ichthyology, but I really can’t figure out what happened. I followed the exact directions on the container, and I always even put a little extra in to be safe so I doubt I put in too little. I’m honestly just really upset, and genuinely confused. Even when they were dead they looked perfectly healthy, no fin rot or external imperfections that would’ve suggested something was wrong. I’m thinking something was chemically wrong with the water conditioner, does that sound plausible?

On 5/10/2020 at 10:46 AM, jessmariefraze said:

Yes the temperature matched. I’ve never had a problem with my fish in the 20 gallon and it’s not unhealthy to keep them small. I’m not restricting food, the water is cold so they don’t need to eat as much. I am in school for Ichthyology, but I really can’t figure out what happened. I followed the exact directions on the container, and I always even put a little extra in to be safe so I doubt I put in too little. I’m honestly just really upset, and genuinely confused. Even when they were dead they looked perfectly healthy, no fin rot or external imperfections that would’ve suggested something was wrong. I’m thinking something was chemically wrong with the water conditioner, does that sound plausible?

Check the date on the product. Sometimes LFS will sell the expired :( 

Awe I’m so sorry I missed this one, I wonder if it was an expired product or not enough, like the ladies said? I’ve also seen electrocution from faulty heaters cause that as well.