Kokos Goldfish Forum

Please help my goldfish.
Recently he has been refusing to eat, snuggling in corners, listless, and sometimes he upside down but still atScreenshot_2020-05-06-23-15-45-524_com_miui.gallery.thumb.jpg.c244d10be97b06f43d9f3e5dd9a92625.jpgthe bottom.
I noticed his poop is sometimes white and very long.
what should I do now
The water parameters are still very good. I don't know what happened to him, pls help.

IMG_20200506_225854.jpg

Can you show me a picture of the poop? How old is he/she? Any changes in diet? It looks like a swim ladder issue but if your he is a she then being egg bound is also possible, especially this time of the year. 

I’d like it if you could fill out as much detail on this form as possible; I’ll use it to refer back to and troubleshoot solutions :)

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank)

* Nitrite Level(Tank)

* Nitrate level(Tank)

* Ammonia Level(Tap)

* Nitrite Level(Tap)

* Nitrate level(Tap)

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

* Water temperature?

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

* How often do you change the water and how much?

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

* How many fish in the tank and their size?

* What kind of water additives or conditioners?

* What do you feed your fish and how often?

* Any new fish added to the tank?

* Any medications added to the tank?

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

I live in remote areas so it's really hard to have an ammonia test kit but I have a PH test kit.
PH: 7
temperature: 28 ° c
Tank size: 1m long, 40 wide and 60 high
2 handmade bio filters with uv light.
20% water change every day
There are 5 babies and 2 big guys in the tank.
No more new fish.
I feed them hikari twice a day.
He is 2 years old and has not undergone any drug treatment, no salt or medication in the tank.
There are no other symptoms of damage outside the body. he just stopped eating, weakly swim and snuggled into the dark corner of the pool when he stopped swimming then upside down.

me and my goldie are very grateful if you help me, thanks a lot.

IMG_20200506_235210.jpg

IMG_20200506_235124.jpg

IMG_20200507_000104.jpg

IMG_20200507_000120.jpg

That set up is lovely, I’m sorry he isn’t feeling well.  Have the babies been in the tank the whole two years or were they added more recently?

If possible, I’d like you to keep him quarantined and we will try feeding him ONLY greens, like duckweed, blanched zucchini, lettuce, seaweed, etc. Can you do that until Sunday and let me know if his swimming improves?

If he refuses to eat any of it let me know too, that could mean it’s an infection going on and not just constipation.  The empty poo casing you showed me is a stress response but a number of things can cause it.

The babies have been added for 3 months, I will get him some peas and will update his status later, thank you very much.

Okay the babies are new enough that potentially a virus or bacteria could definitely be at play, but lets give the veggies a try first, okay? It should help the floating at least.

Hello, I have given him peas and duckweed for a few days now, he swimming looks good in a mini tank and very excited with peas. However, I took him into a large tank last night and everything went as bad as before, still with his head down, I'am sure that my water quality is very good, thanks large bioreact filters and do wc everyday.
What should I do next.

Screenshot_2020-05-10-18-28-09-284_com.miui.video.jpg

OH no, sometimes i see some babies trying to bite his fins and his body.😱😱😱

Yeah if he isn’t moving they’ll nip to investigate, but they probably won’t hurt him.

So your fish has a swim bladder issue, oftentimes they’re genetic though injuries can cause them, and constipation can often worsen the issue, because the food in their bellies presses up against their swim bladder and deforms the shape of them, creating the floating and head standing issue.

A diet of greens and shallow water are the treatment. Duckweed is PERFECT goldfish food with a few bloodworms here and there for protein and interest.  Peas aren’t as good, I prefer zucchini or seaweed.

But yeah, if you can keep him in his own shallow plastic tote with a sponge filter he will live very happily, I think.  Keep your water level under eight inches and that often helps very much :)

i have bloodworm but he has been a vegetarian for a few days, should I continue to feed him vegetarian. Or can you show me another way, please :(

Like I said, vegetable food is great.  Give him bloodworms as a treat meal once or twice a week, otherwise twice daily veggie meals are your best bet.  Dump in duckweed or sea vegetables twice a day, or three small meals :)

But yeah. He will probably always struggle with floating and buoyancy issues in the main tank. Keeping him in a shall we separate container is best.

Hi, I just wanted to provide some more pictures of his poop, recently he's turned upside down, can you give me some advice about medicine?

IMG_20200516_092556.jpg

IMG_20200516_092554.jpg

If it was me I would feed this fish nothing but Duckweed for now.

There really isn't any meds that help flip over. You could try antibiotics to see if it would help if it's an infection. If it's damaged inside, the air sacks, there isn'tt much you can do. 

😳

hmm... I have metronidazole, maracy, kanamycin, blue methylene, penicillin ...., lots of antibiotics, but I don't know what their effect is 😄😄😄, which one do you think is most helpful in the case of bacterial infections

This isn’t a med thing, it really looks like it’s just swim bladder.  The clear poop casings can happen whenever he is stressed or not eating well, but being flipped over is surely stressful.  I see more of them this time of year with breeding season too.

The changes that would indicate meds would be lethargy, pale or poor coloration, streaky fins, gasping at the surface, refusing to eat, ulcers on the body or mouth, shredded fins, etc.  If you’re seeing those medication *may* help, but he may always be prone to flipping.  Otherwise just feed him vegetable food and keep him in shallow water.  I have two who like to flip on me due to bad swim bladders and a steady diet of zucchini has helped SO much of the buoyancy issues.  They’re not great swimmers because of the swim bladders but no constipation is exacerbating it, which is the goal.  As Shannon said, duckweed is a good move.  That could easily be his only good and there would be no issues, but they like bloodworms a few days a week as well :)

Now, if he has gone back to not eating, metronidazole is a good thing to try.  But without ANY lesions or other symptoms I do not think an infection is happening.