Sick Telescope?

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level(Tank)

Nitrite Level(Tank)

Nitrate level(Tank)

Ammonia Level(Tap)

Nitrite Level(Tap)

Nitrate level(Tap)

Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Master Test Kit 

Water temperature?

Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 65g, one day. Temporary tank, 7/8 weeks.

What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? TetraWhisper 20 has been running 7/8 weeks (since I got the fish), added 2x Quietflow 75 last night when big tank was set up. 

How often do you change the water and how much? 2x weekly, 50-90% (while in small tank) Large tank will be 50% weekly.

How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Yesterday moved fish from 15g temporary tank to 65g aquarium with all fresh water (sick behavior was before this, but I thought he just needed a WC and hadn’t noticed the white streak at that point) 

How many fish in the tank and their size? 5, 2x 1.5” orandas, 1x 3” oranda, 2x 2-3” telescopes 

What kind of water additives or conditioners? Seachem Safe

What do you feed your fish and how often? Once daily, Omega One Sinking Pellets

Any new fish added to the tank? All fish are relatively new. They were not all purchased together. The telescopes I’ve had for 7/8 weeks, the orandas about 1 week. 

Any medications added to the tank? No

List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Telescopes were treated with .3% (.03%? Whatever the normal dose is) salt for 2 weeks, and 2 rounds of prazi.

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Orange telescope Julius has white “streak” of fungus on dorsal fin, and black tips on fins (I don’t think they’re related; I missed a wc and I think it’s ammonia burn healing)

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Lethargic, hanging out by the top. Kinda weak; he’s getting pushed around by the filter. (I baffled it and he’s swimming better now though still having trouble) His dorsal fin is clamped when he is at the top but otherwise all his fins are fully erect, although his tail fins seem slightly curled inward. 

The only “meds” I have are epsom salt and normal salt. However I can go to petsmart if needed, although I’m not sure what they’d have for meds. I can’t currently get anything online as we don’t have a mailing address yet. 

Since all of the fish are together, should I treat them all? Or should I separate him into a QT tank? I have a 10g available and a spare filter and heater if needed.  

I will try and get the water parameters ASAP...

Did you put the telescope in with the new oranda instead of quarantining him separately for awhile?  It’s very possible he could have been infected by his new buddy, this is how I ended up with columnaris back in the day :(

Pictures of him up close, plus maybe a video of his behavior would help a lot. If it is fungus we are going to need methylene blue and possibly acriflavine powder, but what you’re describing has me not convinced that is the problem.

On 5/1/2020 at 9:24 AM, Arctic Mama said:

Did you put the telescope in with the new oranda instead of quarantining him separately for awhile?  It’s very possible he could have been infected by his new buddy, this is how I ended up with columnaris back in the day :(

Pictures of him up close, plus maybe a video of his behavior would help a lot. If it is fungus we are going to need methylene blue and possibly acriflavine powder, but what you’re describing has me not convinced that is the problem.

So I didn’t get a notification; sorry I didn’t respond :( I know you should always quarantine separately. Didn’t this one time...  none of the other fish seem unwell at all though thankfully. 

That’s from yesterday, and when I had him trapped. I’ve since baffled the filter so he isn’t getting pushed around. I will upload a new video when I get home. 

This is him now; he’s swimming around more but always eventually goes back to the top. I did a 90% wc today also.

Has he been going upside down at all today then?  Please do get me a close up of the fin in question as well.  It looks like he is healing but yeah, heat and salt for that entire tank, any fish who has been in contact with the oranda or tele, plus sterilizing the nets is in order.  You May also order Paraguard online from amazon, if the salt and heat doesn’t kick this in a week that’s where I will go next.  Symptoms wise it looks more parasitic than viral or bacterial.

56 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Has he been going upside down at all today then?  Please do get me a close up of the fin in question as well.  It looks like he is healing but yeah, heat and salt for that entire tank, any fish who has been in contact with the oranda or tele, plus sterilizing the nets is in order.  You May also order Paraguard online from amazon, if the salt and heat doesn’t kick this in a week that’s where I will go next.  Symptoms wise it looks more parasitic than viral or bacterial.

He was swimming down in the video; thankfully he hasn’t been upside down. Temp is 78. Should I do .3%? Or start at .1%? 

.3, put the whole quantity in a pantry hose foot or cheesecloth tied inside the tank, either hanging from the top or hanging from an empty filter, it will diffuse slowly into the water, just make sure you have good circulation and give the water a stir every fifteen minutes or so to make sure brine doesn’t settle at the bottom and not mix in.

Were you able to do closeup picture of him and the fuzz spot?

18 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

.3, put the whole quantity in a pantry hose foot or cheesecloth tied inside the tank, either hanging from the top or hanging from an empty filter, it will diffuse slowly into the water, just make sure you have good circulation and give the water a stir every fifteen minutes or so to make sure brine doesn’t settle at the bottom and not mix in.

Were you able to do closeup picture of him and the fuzz spot?

Here’s where it was; I suspect now that it may have been excess slime coat from hanging at the top so much. It was lining his first dorsal ray. 

So is that 1 tbsp per gallon? 

27FD7E32-49E3-4429-A71D-0CDDAF0CB920.jpeg

I still think we are dealing with potential parasites, but salt is a solid first line treatment.  Yes, about 1 tbsp per gallon of aquarium safe salt into the pantyhose, and just replace the salinity if you do water changes.  Warm it up to about 80 degrees if they can handle it, but very gradually.  Maybe a degree every two hours? If you see gasping stick closer to 78.

20 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

I still think we are dealing with potential parasites, but salt is a solid first line treatment.  Yes, about 1 tbsp per gallon of aquarium safe salt into the pantyhose, and just replace the salinity if you do water changes.  Warm it up to about 80 degrees if they can handle it, but very gradually.  Maybe a degree every two hours? If you see gasping stick closer to 78.

How often should I do wc now? I was planning on weekly 50% but should I do it more often since they’re being treated? 

1 hour ago, Morgan'sMiracles said:

How often should I do wc now? I was planning on weekly 50% but should I do it more often since they’re being treated? 

Just check ammonia, if it gets to .25 it’s time for a change, otherwise go weekly :)

On 5/2/2020 at 7:23 PM, Arctic Mama said:

Just check ammonia, if it gets to .25 it’s time for a change, otherwise go weekly :)

Thought my tank was cycled but I guess not... 

ammonia .5

nitrite 0

nitrate 0-5

also my black telescope seems to be slightly pineconing 🙁🙁 Also not sure if the shape is normal between his face and dorsal. Should I make a different thread? Suggestions? Doing a 50% wc and double dose of prime tonight, redosing salt. Also I purchased Paraguard but it won’t be here until Thursday. 

Just keep the water impeccable until the Paraguard comes, and keep with the salt and heat.  Daily water changes are probably your friend now in this cycle bump with unhappy fish.  Maybe 50% daily if your ammonia stays down like that?

8 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Just keep the water impeccable until the Paraguard comes, and keep with the salt and heat.  Daily water changes are probably your friend now in this cycle bump with unhappy fish.  Maybe 50% daily if your ammonia stays down like that?

Ok I’ll try for that. Thank you. They all seem the same this morning. The black telescopes scales are still slightly prickly. Although I will say, the orange telescope has been a lot more active since I added salt and boosted the heat. 

50% wc, replaced salt and prime.

Also tested tap water today; apparently our tap has .25 ammonia. What can I do about this? I don’t have room to store large amounts of water for water changes... 

The black telescope is missing a scale today. There’s nothing he could’ve rubbed on so I’m not sure how he managed that. His pineconing looks about the same, maybe a teeny bit worse. Francis was bottomsitting a bit this morning but seems plenty active for the rest of the day.

So this is where smaller and more frequent water changes will help, your filter will help detoxify and process the ammonia just like it does in the tank. Just use your safe/prime and keep water changes to 25–50 percent several days per week instead of one massive one weekly, it will be safer for them :)

For the pineconing, can you take some well lit picture from the top down?  Too view helps me see his peduncle and get a better idea of what we are looking at :)

11 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

For the pineconing, can you take some well lit picture from the top down?  Too view helps me see his peduncle and get a better idea of what we are looking at :)

So should I still do daily waterchanges right now? 

Here are some pictures and a video. He’s missing a bunch of scales today on both sides. 

99984B61-1DA2-48D9-9B3F-940E13805DAD.jpeg

214DCF5C-559E-45DC-8E8F-912D436D8D5E.jpeg

CEF0DABA-7883-4195-BD0D-C5ACF4335560.jpeg

C961BB6C-AF6E-4978-95E4-DD1CE66165A9.jpeg

D2CC9734-8220-4A3C-813A-FB3C823C0D87.jpeg

Okay, he will need the parasite treatment, but also looks like an infection along with that.  The scales missing indicated he’s bashing into things doing the ‘itchy fish’ routine.  What do you have in terms of antibiotics? Ideally we would run something like furan-2 and kanamycin, but I can try to work with what you have.

And yes, if you have to do daily complete changes to keep it down do so, but only if the ammonia is going high, quickly.  Otherwise stick to daily or every other day partial water changes to try and not shock them too much. But at this point if you can keep it steady around .25ppms with prime you’re doing well enough, given the tap issue!

1 hour ago, Arctic Mama said:

Okay, he will need the parasite treatment, but also looks like an infection along with that.  The scales missing indicated he’s bashing into things doing the ‘itchy fish’ routine.  What do you have in terms of antibiotics? Ideally we would run something like furan-2 and kanamycin, but I can try to work with what you have.

I don’t have anything currently. Paraguard is coming in the mail. I mean, I have salt and prazi, but those aren’t antibiotics. We just moved so we don’t have a ton of money. Should I separate him or leave him with the others? I have a spare 10g and filter but no spare heater right now. 

Is kanamycin only sold as kanaplex? And is furan2 only available through api?

If you have nothing to treat him and can’t afford to get more, just keep him in with everyone else and the heat and salt, and we will hope the Paraguard is enough when it comes, okay? :)

1 minute ago, Arctic Mama said:

If you have nothing to treat him and can’t afford to get more, just keep him in with everyone else and the heat and salt, and we will hope the Paraguard is enough when it comes, okay? :)

I can definitely get kanamycin. When that comes, should he stay with the rest or be separated?

Treat him separately if he is the only pineconing one.

5 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Treat him separately if he is the only pineconing one.

Since I don’t have an extra heater for the little tank, will he be okay? I might be able to switch things around...