Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Viney1503

Reinstalling an inherited pond

Hi all!!!   

So my husband and I have moved into our house and found an old pond that had been filled with rubble....we have emptied it and got to the bottom. However we have found roots that have come through the liner. I have a picture of the larges. What is the best thing to do? 

We have experience of tropical fish but this is our first adventure to outdoor fish. 

Any help will be great. 

Thanks in advance!!! 

2127CCDC-7613-44FB-9070-8C9EFD84BAEF.jpeg

FF3862DD-80E3-4DBF-B40A-F19CDD0479C9.jpeg

@shakaho is really great with ponds. She would be the gal to ask. 👍

If it was me I might see if I could remove the root and seal it back up. But shakaho would know better. 

I wouldn't  bother trying to restore that pond.  As soon as you fix one problem, another one will pop up, and another and...  I have two in-ground ponds that I built myself.  They are endless problems.  I recommend you fill in the "pond", level the ground, and either build an above ground pond with concrete blocks or (easier and better) get a stock tank to use as an above ground pond.

Look at these for ideas:

https://www.google.com/search?q=stock+tank+pond&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS867US867&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiA9vDGlMPoAhVrU98KHRTtAu8Qsxh6BAgOECw&biw=1453&bih=920

First thing that came to my mind was to lay down a layer of EPDM pond liner, right on top of the old preformed pond liner.  The new pond liner would have to be secured, just like if a fresh hole was dug, but there is much info out there about that subject, so I won't type all that out.  Might be worth a try. 

Let us know what you plan to do!  :D

On 3/29/2020 at 7:00 PM, Viney1503 said:

Hi all!!!   

So my husband and I have moved into our house and found an old pond that had been filled with rubble....we have emptied it and got to the bottom. However we have found roots that have come through the liner. I have a picture of the larges. What is the best thing to do? 

We have experience of tropical fish but this is our first adventure to outdoor fish. 

Any help will be great. 

Thanks in advance!!! 

2127CCDC-7613-44FB-9070-8C9EFD84BAEF.jpeg

FF3862DD-80E3-4DBF-B40A-F19CDD0479C9.jpeg

Lucky you , you have a pond already dug out and was working. Simple fix as the other recommended and I have done, lay down the new liner and it is ready!! You can also try to fill it and see if roots are causai get any problem . I have a  couple of ponds that leak a little but is not a problem as adding water is a good thing . 

Hope you have a good time with your new pond.