Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
scottts

Oranda with whitish fins

Hi, first time poster.  My granddaughter and I have been taking care of two Orandas for a few months now.  One of them, a blackish/gold one named Yogi, has developed some white coloration to his fin tips.  Hopefully you can see in attached photo.  The other bigger orange Oranda (Cheddar) doesn't seem to have it.

We have been diligent with water changes and the water chemistry looks pretty good.  Here's the form info.  Any ideas are appreciated.  I do have MinnFinn available.

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level(Tank) <.25 using API master.  0 using Seachem sensor based test.  I cannot get rid of this.  Its in the RO/DI water we use and the tank cycle will not remove it.  I've even got a special Chloramine reduction filter before my RO/DI and it just will not go away.

Nitrite Level(Tank) 0

Nitrate level(Tank) approx. 5-10ppm after water change 10-20 before water change.  Trying to get this down further.

Ammonia Level(Tap) <.25 this is the source of the .25 in the tank water.

Nitrite Level(Tap) 0 

Nitrate level(Tap) 0

Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.9 ph, 5 drops KH, 10 drops GH, .25 CC

Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) we use treated RO/DI water - 7.9 ph, 5 drops kh, 10 drops gh, .25cc

Other Required Info:

Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API master and Seachem sensor based ammonia.

Water temperature? about 72 degrees F.  Its beginning to warm up in the house.  No heater on the tank.

Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55 gallons running since right after Jan 1, 2020.

What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Tetra HOB WPF 60 came with the tank.  Has two large media filters.  Water is crystal clear.

How often do you change the water and how much? 50% weekly.

How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 3 days ago, 50%.  I monitor after water change and nothing spikes any more.

How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 Oranda, about 2" body (Yogi) and 4" body (Cheddar).

What kind of water additives or conditioners? Seachem Replenish 5ml/5 gallons for GH.  Seachem Gold Buffer 1/2 tsp/5gallons for KH.

What do you feed your fish and how often? once or twice daily Repashi Gold, some times pellets.  A pea once a week, Frozen Spinach a few times a week.

Any new fish added to the tank? NO

Any medications added to the tank? NO

List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.  Sick Oranda, Yogi, was first fish into tank.  We cycled with him in.  Used media from a fully cycled Danio tank (no visible disease there), used Prime during cycle and added salt when nitrite appeared.  Tank has been fully cycled and not spiking Nitrites for over a month.  Salt has been being reduced via weekly water changes.  Yogi was a bit of a floater when brand new, but feeding peas and with time he normalized.

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Just the whitishness to his fin tips.

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? He's eating fine, has always preferred the top of the tank but will eagerly swim anywhere.

IMG_3458.jpeg

First thing I would suggest is another filter. Seems like they aren't getting enough filtration. Goldfish needs for HOB filters, 10 times an hour. I do believe that's why the ammonia in the tank doesn't go away. Even when ammonia is the the tap, a fully cycled tank will consume the ammonia in 24 hours.

Also when feeding gel food turn the filter off so they can eat it and not get sucked into the filter. The gel can make a very ucky mess in the filter pads. 

Thank you.  Yes, I've always felt the stock filter that came with the tank was marginal with very little bio filter.  I've got a new Fluval C4 HOB that at least has dedicated bio media.  I'll get that up and running ASAP.   So far Yogi is fine behaviorally, swimming and eating, so hopefully this will resolve.

That's sounds good. Yeah most tank kits are for tropical fish. Goldfish are just big fish needing more oxygen therefore more filtration and water movement.