Kokos Goldfish Forum

Good Evening Everyone,

Apologies I have not posted for quite some time, but I really am desperate for some help please.

I purchased two new Ryukin recently, one of the fish almost immediately started showing signs of columnaris, I contacted the dealer and was advised to use Acriflavine and salt.

We have been in regular contact regarding the treatment and have slowly raised the dosage for the fish, they were in a 360 litre tank, however, I have since moved them into a 40 litre tub to enable daily water changes. I have now been advised to raise the dosage to 5kg salt per 220 gallon and increase acriflavine dosage by 25% to 2ml per 10 gallon. I am changing the water daily.

The fish are still swimming freely and have an appetite, however, their mouths are perishing. I am now becoming increasingly worried that this strain is resistant to acriflavine and am struggling to obtain other medications listed on this site.

Would it perhaps be worth bathing in methylene blue instead? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi all,

Just an update, the fish appear to be showing less interest in food now, getting quite desperate if anyone has any ideas?

Thank you.

Are you able to post some photos? 

@koko @Arctic Mama @shakaho i havent dealt with columnaris before, do you have any info? 

On 3/26/2020 at 5:28 AM, FishyMandy said:

Are you able to post some photos? 

@koko @Arctic Mama @shakaho i havent dealt with columnaris before, do you have any info? 

I did have it years ago, before all the meds where available. My fish died back then so ya not much help.😲

Good Evening,

Thank you for getting back to me, I have tried to get the best photos I can, the fish won’t stay still!

0F5079CE-CCED-4AA9-86D4-F5868A394993.jpeg

59EAC14C-22B8-4134-9D1D-C0E03BC49BFF.jpeg

A5886FBF-E62E-40E6-ACB2-333B777A2FC8.jpeg

59EC47F6-9191-4564-9BCD-47F21BB8CB24.jpeg

674516EF-5BB3-4A9A-B2D7-1DE4335709A9.jpeg

217F775F-849C-4471-BB8B-A5FF4161977E.jpeg

8297C86C-E2E2-492F-A47A-15464CE1B350.jpeg

8F355B7C-019E-43B8-8EC1-B5F53EF835B9.jpeg

@Arctic Mama have you seen this?

Wow I don't think I have seen where the mouth bone is showing.....

Yeah, I’ve had that happen. Otto list his entire upper lip but lived two and a half more years until I had a poisoning accident in the tank.

Columnaris benefits from a treatment of Furan 2 and Kanamycin. 2-3 weeks, or until five days after you see the last symptom. Kana maxes out after two weeks and you really needs a break, but the furan should continue and salt can he added at .3 percent concentration with that remaining furan until the symptoms are gone. Warm, clean, well circulating water.  And nuke all your tank equipment that could have any contact with this - boiling, baking, or throwing away.

Here is a video of the treatment I did.

I bought enough Kanaplex and Furan-2 to change the water daily and redosed the meds full strength each day.  Remember to keep the water warmer 76-80 degrees F is not bad.

11 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

I bought enough Kanaplex and Furan-2 to change the water daily and redosed the meds full strength each day.  Remember to keep the water warmer 76-80 degrees F is not bad.

Hello,

Thank you so much for your help, I have found a small quantity of Kanaplex in a drawer, possibly 6 days worth, looks as though everywhere online has sold out of kanaplex and furan 2, or they're currently importing. 

I can source Cupramine, would that help at all? 

I have been searching online, the next best thing I have found is Colombo Cytofex Anti Bacterial Infections:

https://www.koi-zone.co.uk/Colombo-Cytofex-Anti-Bacterial-Infections

This contains the 'Enrofloxacin antibiotic with wide spectrum of action as well as the Benzalkonium-chloride disinfectant', would this be a suitable alternative?

Sorry for all the questions, just panicking a bit with being unable to access the preferred meds.

Thank you.

Salt.  Begin salt right now, it prevents the bacteria from spreading further.  .3%

No cupramine with goldfish ever, they are extremity copper sensitive.

I’ll have to look up the efficacy of the other ingredients at another time, off the top of my head I’m not sure they’d work.  This is a gram negative bacteria and needs those treatments.  Oxytetracycline would also work.  Possibly even triple sulfa, which is rather broad spectrum. 

Okay Enrofloxacin is baytril, which is also fairly broad spectrum.  Give it a shot.  Hold off on the antiseptic for now, just use the baytril and salt.

4 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Okay Enrofloxacin is baytril, which is also fairly broad spectrum.  Give it a shot.  Hold off on the antiseptic for now, just use the baytril and salt.

Brilliant thank you, this should be arriving tomorrow! Will keep you updated. 

Thanks again!

Good evening,

Just carried out the daily water change with salt and acriflavine at high dosage until the next treatments arrives. 

Appreciate it’s hard to tell as my photography skills are weak and they won’t stay still, but there may be a slight improvement in the calico:

7E295DB6-D606-4C7D-94DD-9FD19B0FF2D7.jpeg

4C42C5B4-C6A7-4EB7-BA05-A67AB458BF22.jpeg

D25B25D2-CF14-48C3-97B1-A642315FB1CC.jpeg

Good Evening Everyone,

Just trying to provide an update, the fish have been up to max dosage with the new meds since, Monday of last week. This appears to have now halted the rot on the calico.

For the red and white fish, this does not appear to look worse, but I am seeing some two little black marks on the edge of the mouth, is this signs of healing?

Thank you!

Yeah that’s melanophore migration, which is common in healed tissue with goldfish.

Fantastic, thank you, fingers crossed its working!