Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fin Diesel’s grandma

My new goldfish has some kind of eye problem

My son got a goldfish about four weeks ago. Last week we bought him a bigger tank and new rocks etc.  I didn’t know that you have to keep good bacteria in there via rocks, water etc. So his water got cloudy. The next day I went to Petco and go some bacteria stuff and a nitrate remover. That worked to clear it up. 

Then he started getting big white growths on his eyes. I’m pretty sure he’s blind now. I’ve put in 10tsp of salt and treated with Melafix and Pimafix for 5 days with no progress. Then I bought a gravel vacuum. Cleaned those and changed about 20% of the water.

I got some epsom salt and did a salt dip on him 6 days ago.  That did seem to perk him up a bit. But didn’t help his eyes. I’ve tested the water and it seems fine. 

I bought Maracyn 2, did a 20% water change, took the carbon out of the filter and am on day 6 of that.  He’s constantly hungry which I think is a good sign.  He doesn’t seem to have many other senses because he’s not great at finding the food.  I’ve been working hard to make sure he’s getting enough. 

He’s still no better and I’m not even sure if it’s a bacteria or a fungus or something else.  Does anyone know what else I can try?

Please helppp!   

I have a picture but I can’t figure out how to add it. 

Hi there!  It sounds like you have to hit the ground running a bit with goldfish care, but we are happy to help straighten this out for you.

First off, you need a test kit from Amazon of the local pet store.  The API freshwater master test kit is the one we recommend.  It lasts many years and is critical to proper fish care and tank management.

Next, to post pictures, there is a little button on the bottom left of your post box.  Click to choose files lets you select images off your phone or computer and then uploads them to the site.  You just press the little plus box in the corner of the uploaded file to add it to your post :)

A951A6D9-0382-48B0-BD13-8F8FBE31064F.thumb.jpeg.11bde8b859908c03b93258c34b8ba315.jpeg

Next, once you have the test kit please fill out this form we completely as you can.  It’s very difficult for us to help at all without the information here, much of which is related to water quality, tank conditions, and filtration.

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank)

* Nitrite Level(Tank)

* Nitrate level(Tank)

* Ammonia Level(Tap)

* Nitrite Level(Tap)

* Nitrate level(Tap)

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

* Water temperature?

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

* How often do you change the water and how much?

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

* How many fish in the tank and their size?

* What kind of water additives or conditioners?

* What do you feed your fish and how often?

* Any new fish added to the tank?

* Any medications added to the tank?

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Last, while you are obtaining supplies and taking pictures, please study this guide to goldfish care, which I think will solve some of these problems as you implement the advice therein :)  So much of managing the health of your fish is preventing problems to begin with, with solid husbandry and maintenance of the tank conditions.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/BRIEFGUIDEFORNEWOWNERS.html

From the sounds of it you’ve got a tank trying to cycle and that is making fish sick, which is why we need a test kit to help you keep the parameters in a happy zone and keep your fish healthy and safe. It could be something else on top of it, but environment is always the first, best thing to address or are least check on.  It’s the root of 90% of goldfish problems, I’m not exaggerating!  And they’re delicate fish, contrary to popular belief, so it’s really easy to have things go wonky as you’re getting familiar with their care needs.