Kokos Goldfish Forum
The Fish Lady

Butterfly Telescope Fry Deformities?

I have 4 butterfly telescope goldfish, 3 females (Bambi, Spike, and Pearl) and 1 male (Bowie). They are each about 3.5 inches including their tail. About a month ago I noticed that Bowie had breeding tubercles and was chasing one of my females (Pearl) who had also recently become a little plumper.

Here they are - Bowie is the calico and Pearl is the red/orange and white.

20200131_163908.thumb.jpg.9a9c0d31a6bc70151c16b54445e0674e.jpg

Although I thought they were too young/small to breed, I decided to make a spawning mop just in case. At first, I didn't see any eggs, then one morning both of them were caught inside of the spawning mop and it was full of eggs! I freaked out, got them out, and removed the mop. Turns out I might have removed it prematurely because some of the eggs were not fertilized and ended up turning white. I picked out the ones that appeared to be fertilized and put them in a separate tank.

About 1 week ago all of the goldfish eggs that I moved over to the other tank hatched! At first, they all looked straight. But now I am starting to see what may be a deformity? I am not exactly sure what shape I should be looking for. I pulled a few out that look like this:

915984544_20200312_220638(2).thumb.jpg.e64c70a9f0566f51ac9679fcf282a2cd.jpg

But there are also others that have a slight curve, but are not wavy like the one above. 

20200309_214121.thumb.jpg.9450dec3c3c047318ceda3f7703cf591.jpg

20200309_214105.thumb.jpg.82db64a82ff6ee16e7a9c91a8030ede3.jpg

I am not exactly sure what I should be looking for as far as their shape. If you have a picture of a healthy fry, that would help a lot! 

Thank you!

The last one looks good to me, the second I'd keep an eye on and the first is definitely a problem.  Here are some photos of my last little guy I raised up, she is a ryukin.

IMG_0285.jpg

IMG_0302.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0792.jpg

IMG_0790.jpg

IMG_0778.jpg

Congrats on the babies!

Thank you!

A few of them look like the pictures you posted of your ryukin which is a relief, but there are probably a few that I have to keep an eye on.

On a different forum I read that if the crooked spine can be seen from above then it is a problem. On that first little guy it was pretty bad from above :(

Well done Fishlady!  And wellcome to forum as I see this is your first post.

i also breed fancy goldfish and can say that what the others have advised is true. As you will have many that are defective and that is best to eliminate. This applies for breeding in the thousand at at time. If you have only a few hundred or less then keep all until the moment of judgement. I am weak and always keep all until...

Very beautiful fish you have.

regards Michael.

Thanks! I have a little less than 100 fry. I think i removed the spawning mop prematurely so some of the eggs were not fertilized and several eggs got eaten by their parents :( it is the first time I breed goldfish, so it is all a learning experience. I also recently bred danios (on accident) so I learned a but from that process.

It’s hard but definitely cull stringently.  If you don’t have the energy or space for more than ten or fifteen fry, it’s okay to cull down to their number after a few weeks as they get bigger and you can see their condition more.  

They are only 2 weeks old, but I already had to cull a lot of them due to crooked spines. A few have also died on their own (most of the ones I have found dead were really small or crooked).

I probably still have 30+ not sure it's hard to count them. They are in a 10 gallon and I am doing frequent water changes, but I am not sure how many I can sustain in there and for how long...

Half of them are starting to look like chubby little fish, but I also have some that don't seem to be growing :(

20200318_141442 (2).jpg