Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
LoriPS

Very sick goldfish and can’t figure out why

My goldfish is very ill and I cannot figure out what to do. He’s had Pox for about 6 months, so maybe it’s just that, but only a few spots that haven’t changed in that time. He has been at the bottom of his tank for 5 days. I took him out and put him in a small 10 gallon “hospital” tank. His buddies in the old large tank are fine and healthy. I tested the water over and over. Other than a slightly low pH the old tank was fine. He stays at the bottom of the new tank too and has been gasping for air as well for 5 days. No red marks or streaks. No swim bladder issues. His eyes seem a tiny bit protruding, but not cloudy. I have tried epsom salt daily, and doxycycline hyclate for 3 days. No improvement. Very worried I’ll need to euthanize if I can’t figure this out. He’s in bad shape. Please help if you can think of anything. 

Oh and I clean my tanks weekly 25-75% and have a large Fluval filter under the tank. I cleaned the hospital tank on day 3 50%. He’s not eating either. Not sure if he’s not able to. He can’t seem to move much other than laying there. I tried frozen peas to see if the bigger size would be easier but he just left them alone. 

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level(Tank) 0

Nitrite Level(Tank) - can’t remember but it was totally within normal range  

Nitrate level(Tank) again can’t remember but totally normal level

Ammonia Level(Tap) need to test tomorrow 

Nitrite Level(Tap) need to Test tomorrow

Nitrate level(Tap) need to test tomorrow 

Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) was at 6.8 but I got it up to 7.5.  Haven’t tested hospital tank yet

Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.0

Other Required Info:

Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops

Water temperature? 77 F

Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?  30 gallons and have been running it for 5 years  

What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Fluval 306

How often do you change the water and how much? I do 90% change biweekly and 25% weekly

How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? I changed 90% of the main tank 4 days ago, and 25% 3 days ago. Changed 50% of hospital tank today (he’s been in for 3 days)

How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 goldfish, about 3-4 inches long (I know it’s too many for 30 gallons)

What kind of water additives or conditioners? API stress coat

What do you feed your fish and how often? Aqueon Goldfish Granules Twice a day (1/4 tsp)

Any new fish added to the tank? No

Any medications added to the tank? Hospital tank is on day 3 of doxycycline hyclate.  I also have added 2 TB of epsom salt for 2 days

List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Two months ago another of the fish had a red streak on it’s fin. Treated with doxycycline and it cleared up in 4 days. That fish is fine now. This fish has had Pox for 6 months but didn’t seem to be an issue until now... see above for current treatment 

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Waxy bumps (pox), slightly protruding eyes, end of tail is suddenly starting to fray a tiny bit (only since moving to hospital tank), gasping for air constantly

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Stays at bottom - sometimes laying on his side. Won’t eat but seems interested- he just can’t get turned face down to get the food

Pictures below from his normal tank from 4 days ago with his buddies, and the hospital tank now

1F1E561C-0D72-4D0D-8D1F-59AFC37A4B0D.jpeg

6044A737-A635-4703-B617-124423B79C7D.jpeg

Nitrate, nitrite and ammonia all 0 in the tap water tests. 

redid the tests in the tank, nitrate at 10, ammonia 0 and nitrite 0. 

Also, he seems to be bit more active today. He tried swimming to the top a few times even though he sank right back down. And seems to be trying to get to the food.  Also, see a tiny bit of whitish color on his head. Could this be Velvet disease?? If so, do I stop the doxycycline or finish off that dose and then do copper sulfate??

8894C1C1-4ACF-410E-8BC1-C64883EA5753.jpeg

0BFC2240-1D43-453E-B6DA-42C93504EB26.jpeg

That Ph could have been just the trigger on this fish.

If it was me,

I would take the fish off that medication. Then I would work on the Ph.

Your ph is coming out of the tap okay but its going down on you. I would like you to do a test for me. Get a gallon jug, fill it with tap water and test the Ph. Let that jug sit out for 24 hours (if you have a bubbler us it on there, it will help) then test the ph again. We want to see how much the ph is changing on them. Once we know how far its going down we can either do the Baking soda route to raise up the ph or crushed coral too. The baking soda will get the ph up but if your KH is low it won't matter how much you put in it will start to go down cause the KH won't hold up the PH.

Oh and if you can get the KH tested at the LFS or buy a KH test kit, you will want to know this level too.

We do want to get that medication out but since we don't know how stable your ph is lets only do a small water change. What is the Ph in the Qt tank now? 

Honestly I think the low pH was a fluke. Both tanks are holding steady at 7.6 for the last 4 days.

I used baking soda to up it in the original tank - and it’s holding at 7.6. Qt tank is also staying at 7.6 without baking soda. 

If you think your Ph will stay then lets move on.

I would get that medication out of that tank, also all of the decorations. Qt tanks should just be the filter and the fish. :)

I would also after we get the medication out, give the fish at least 24 hours of rest with nothing in the water.

Then I would do an Epsom salt treatment. I would add 1/2 teaspoon per 10 gallon. Do you have Metro on hand? 

He is remarkably better. He pooped a TON and has been swimming and happy the last 24 hours. I’m in shock!! I’ve also just bought a larger tank for all of my fish just in case.

On 2/29/2020 at 5:57 PM, LoriPS said:

He is remarkably better. He pooped a TON and has been swimming and happy the last 24 hours. I’m in shock!! I’ve also just bought a larger tank for all of my fish just in case.

Great news.

If you need more help or just a place to hang out we are here.