Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
EvilVegan

FORGOT I WAS FILLING UP THE TANK. 20 DEGREE TEMP DROP!

I forgot I was refilling my 220 gallon tank and it went from 79 to 59 degrees when the hot water ran out.

The fish are clearly in shock, probably dead already (they're still moving, but two are upside down), but is there anything I can/should do?!

Do I try to bring the temp back up (by warming water on the stove and adding it slowly) or wait for the 300W heater to warm the water slowly?!

I'm so freaked out right now.

I think oxygen is good, the tank has a sump and large trickle filter.  I treated it for chlorine again.  

Oh I’ve done that before, I’m sorry :(  There isn’t really anything to do but heat it back up VERY SLOWLY.  Like, a degree every four hours. 

If you treated the water that’s all you can do, do hold feeds for a few days though so you don’t worsen their stress with digestion.  I wouldn’t resume feeding until the the tank is back to its normal temp for a few hours and their behavior is normal again.  

Some fish tolerate the big temp swings better than others (I refill my tank from a garden hose connection and it is much colder in the winter than the ambient temp of my tank, but only a few of them bottom sit and pout through the process whereas I have had other fish who have been much worse off with the same temp swing). Let us know how they recover, we are cheering for you!

Oh no! I've done this before but in the opposite direction, I made the water way too warm. I thought I had killed all my fish.

Like Taryl said the best thing you can do is slowly bring the temperature to where it should be. 

I hope they recover for you!

So far 2 ryukin dead, one calico butterfly tail still on her side; the blackmoor and pleco seem to be mostly fine.

I was just telling my wife how happy I was that the two ryukin I had gotten from the pet store to save them from ich were doing so well over a year later and they were the two that died.  The calico was a rescue from a friend, so I hope she recovers and I don't have to make a sad phone call.  

The moor has lived through a bunch of crazy nonsense.  He popped his eye on some driftwood once then he tore a half-dollar-sized hole in his scales to the muscle.   Recovered with salt baths both times.  He's swimming around a bit weird, but I think he's just looking for his pals.  He doesn't seem to be having any issues staying upright or stationary.  Not sure how to tell if the pleco is okay, but they seem to be breathing and not moving much ... like normal.

Dang. I'm sorry to hear this. 220 gallon tank must be hard to do water changes let alone forgetting about the water.

Do you normally let the water heater catch back up?

I'm so sorry :(

On 2/5/2020 at 4:22 AM, EvilVegan said:

So far 2 ryukin dead, one calico butterfly tail still on her side; the blackmoor and pleco seem to be mostly fine.

I was just telling my wife how happy I was that the two ryukin I had gotten from the pet store to save them from ich were doing so well over a year later and they were the two that died.  The calico was a rescue from a friend, so I hope she recovers and I don't have to make a sad phone call.  

The moor has lived through a bunch of crazy nonsense.  He popped his eye on some driftwood once then he tore a half-dollar-sized hole in his scales to the muscle.   Recovered with salt baths both times.  He's swimming around a bit weird, but I think he's just looking for his pals.  He doesn't seem to be having any issues staying upright or stationary.  Not sure how to tell if the pleco is okay, but they seem to be breathing and not moving much ... like normal.

How is the fish doing?