Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Caretta Rose

Would love a second opinion on my nitrates today

The lighting in my apartment today is frustrating. It's a gloomy day. First image is by the window, second is under artificial lighting. 

BfwUj41.jpg

NISSlal.jpg

So hard to tell.  First pics "looks" like 40ppm, 2nd 20 ppm.  I'm always scratching my head at the best of times - the higher ranges are harder to interpret.  I like the Salifert nitrate test kits a little better - it is easier to read different shades of pink/purple.

What I do is do a 50% water change anyways - the lower ranges of the nitrate colour chart are easier to decipher.  Take another reading after the water change and mentally double the readings value .  What I mean is that if the nitrate reading after a 50% water change reads 20ppm, then nitrates before the water change would have been about 20ppm x 2 or about 40ppm?  In my (totally unscientific) experience, the nitrate readings after a 50% water change are not as bad as I originally thought.

I may be totally wrong, but the fish will always benefit from a water change.  It would be interesting to know other aquarists experiences if they do this or am I totally out to lunch.  :Beware: