Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sokusfishtails23

Bubble eye goldfish with both eyes popped!!!

Hello all!!

I am new to Kokos Goldfish Forum and happy to be here. My new goldfish, Soku, is probably the cutest goldfish I have had so far.. (in my opinion, others disagree) She is a tiny two inch bubble eye goldfish with pinkish-whitish coloring and I have had her for about a week in a 27 gallon tank. The problem is that within the first day I bought her, my cat poked one of her bubbles and popped it. She was sitting in a goldfish bowl temporarily because I needed to take her back to my dorm. Not only that, but after getting her setup in her new home, a 27 gallon tank all by herself for quarantine, she got pulled into the filter intake and lost her other bubble and received some other wounds as well. She has gone through a lot of stress in just one week and it isn’t surprising to me that she has pink areas in several places, her fins are pink and clamped, veins are showing on the one bubble that partially survived, and on the other side where the bubble has torn off completely, her skin is slightly charcoal colored. I’m really worried about her and currently I am giving her 30% water changes daily, and also put the recommended dose of melafix in her tank today. She has been acting strangely as well, swimming only in one place, and I can tell she has gotten less perky (she seemed like a very active happy fish the first few days after I got her, even after the first bubble incident. Her filter intake is now protected with sponge btw. If anyone has any ideas of what might help her or what is going on with her/if she has an infection, please let me know! I am very worried and I think it’s possible she could die soon. Also, I’m not sure if this is a good idea or not, but one of my other fish, a 3 and a half inch long blue Oranda, has a strong pink appearance on his bottom fins so I’ve put him in with her to see if the melafix can help him out as well. Water parameters in both tanks are as follows (checked today): 

27gallon (where both currently are): Ammonia: 0  Nitrites:0   Nitrates:15

20 gallon (where blue Oranda was before):  Ammonia: .25 (unsure)  Nitrites:0   Nitrates:15

9FDA7855-212C-4F97-B9DB-C5FC83CCDD64.jpeg

CED5C0A6-DF77-4869-B553-5CA341C48B8B.jpeg

I am so sorry :(

11 hours ago, Sokusfishtails23 said:

I found Soku dead this morning, so I won’t be needing any help anymore :( Thanks!

Im sorry to hear that.

I do want to say the other fish looks like it may need help too. Red fins aren't a good sign.

Yes, I am worried about him too. He went through a small bout of fin rot after I used a bacterial medicine to help his tankmate about a month ago (I don’t have the name of the medication on hand) but it’s API brand. He got reddish fins then too, but started to heal after I adjusted him from the medicated water to normal water. I thought he was completely fine at this point, but the red bottom fins seem similar to what he had before, so I think he still may not be all the way better :/ Anyone have any ideas on how a I could help him? 

Thank you!! 

On 12/10/2019 at 7:32 PM, Sokusfishtails23 said:

Yes, I am worried about him too. He went through a small bout of fin rot after I used a bacterial medicine to help his tankmate about a month ago (I don’t have the name of the medication on hand) but it’s API brand. He got reddish fins then too, but started to heal after I adjusted him from the medicated water to normal water. I thought he was completely fine at this point, but the red bottom fins seem similar to what he had before, so I think he still may not be all the way better :/ Anyone have any ideas on how a I could help him? 

Thank you!! 

If it was me the first thing I would do is a General Cure treatment. This will kill paracites and the Metro will heal those spots.... If that doesn't work we can look into other things.

Okay, thank you for the advice, I will try that out. A different fish that was in the 20 gallon is also starting to get similar reddish symptoms so I’m thinking either the 20 gallon has something in there or the water quality maybe isn’t as good as I thought.. I took the second fish out of the 20 gallon and I am acclimating her to the water in the 27 gallon which tested 0 on ammonia and nitrites and very low on nitrates. I am also using melafix in that tank so I slowly put some in her Tupperware I’m transferring her in so that she can adjust to that as well.

Edited by Sokusfishtails23

22 hours ago, Sokusfishtails23 said:

Okay, thank you for the advice, I will try that out. A different fish that was in the 20 gallon is also starting to get similar reddish symptoms so I’m thinking either the 20 gallon has something in there or the water quality maybe isn’t as good as I thought.. I took the second fish out of the 20 gallon and I am acclimating her to the water in the 27 gallon which tested 0 on ammonia and nitrites and very low on nitrates. I am also using melafix in that tank so I slowly put some in her Tupperware I’m transferring her in so that she can adjust to that as well.

If those fish were all in that same tank and all haven gotten sick. I would nuke the tank. There might be some thing in the filter.

Don't cross use stuff like hoses or filters if you see a fish sick. 😔

How is the remaining fish doing?

33 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

How is the remaining fish doing?

Yes inquiring minds want to know. 😁

Sorry for the late reply!

Blue is doing much better now, thanks for asking 😄 I have moved all my fish back home from the dorms and he has been rejoined with the rest of his friends in my 75 gallon tank. There are currently 6 goldfish in there. The other fish who also got sick, Sugarpea, is currently not doing so well... She is alone in the 27 gallon and I have been treating the water with a bacterial medication called “Microbe Life Artemiss” that the guy at Petco recommended. She had swim bladder issues actually when I first got her and despite trying frozen peas and feeding sparingly, she has not gotten any better, often swimming upside down and floating at the top of her tank or resting upside down on the bottom.. She is a pretty big, round Thai Oranda, advertised as a “show fish” and I was hoping to possibly help her, but I haven’t been able to. After getting sick, she has been especially lethargic however, whereas before she still had a lot of spirit despite her swimming condition.. 

One specific question in regards to her - to make her ability to find food and get around easily, I’ve kept her tank mostly bare, but that seems a little depressing.. :/ Would decorating it possibly be more humane? I’m not sure how much aesthetics affect goldfish. 

Thanks again for all the help!! Much appreciated . 🙂

Thanks for the advice about not crossing used stuff btw Koko!! 😊 Hard to know how much small things have an effect.

Sorry, just one more piece of information: I turned the 20 gallon tank both fish got sick in into a snail and daphnia culture tank as food for my puffers and goldfish. So far, the cultures haven’t been negatively impacted, however I am using a different filter. I will consider thoroughly cleaning the filters that were in the 20 gallon before though.

For the Oranda o would have that fish in a shallow/long tank. Sounds like it might be to late. Sometimes the swim bladder can get an infection or it can sometimes just deflate.

I would try a shallow container and maybe at some point give her duckweed. That stuff really helps the goldfish. 

Thanks for the advice. I don’t have a shallow tank, would lowering the level in her current fish tank and putting in a sponge filter work instead? I can do more frequent water changes..

2 minutes ago, Sokusfishtails23 said:

Thanks for the advice. I don’t have a shallow tank, would lowering the level in her current fish tank and putting in a sponge filter work instead? I can’t do more frequent water changes..

Lowering the water level would be a good thing if you don't have shallow tank.👍

Why can't you do more water changes?

I can, that was a typo, my bad lol.. :)

I will try that and get back sometime this week to let you guys know how things are going!

Here are some pictures of her in her current state. She is pretty tired these days and often floats in one spot for extended periods of time. She also has a few red spots on her wen, some discoloration and raggedness of her fins, and some red stuff on her underbelly where she either rubs on the bottom of the tank or isn’t exposed when she floats at the top and it sticks out of the water. She does look a little bit better than it did beforehand so started the treatment however and she isn’t still eating. 

72C8A585-CF3C-4949-8070-20A507D632AF.jpeg

A0DAF7CF-8345-4AA4-B1BA-820DBC5FAA1F.jpeg

ECF896AA-7988-42C4-8538-A7DB12FD646E.jpeg

5C38F982-FD97-4407-8114-0FC97882E254.jpeg

Well I do have some sad news. You can try and treat with Epsom salt and Metro, but the issue is the fish is very flipped over and the last photo I can see the fish has early stages of Dropsy's.

Sometimes you can treat the fish for this and they will live for another 1-3 years but its kinda a death sentence. Its kinda the same when you cats get Kidney failure.

Dropsy's is when the kidneys aren't removing the fluids out of the body and the fish will start to swell up making the scales stick out. You can get the scales to do down with the Epsom salt treatment but the fish can't live in that kind of salt for ever or it will get anemia. Then you would need to treat with an Antibiotic.  

Im sorry :hug 

I can help you if you want to treat the fish. Or can help you the other way. 

Either way Im here to help ya :) 

Just got back from a short trip to Duluth (My parents took care of her while I was gone), and she is looking much much worse... :( Do you think she is still treatable if I start immediately?? Thanks again for all the help, I really appreciate it!!

image.jpg

image.jpg

If she is past help, I would consider finding a humane way to let her go. I have some fish anesthesia I use for my puffer fish that I could possibly give her an overdose of, which seems like it might be a painless death.. :/ 

image.jpg

On 1/20/2020 at 6:23 AM, Sokusfishtails23 said:

If she is past help, I would consider finding a humane way to let her go. I have some fish anesthesia I use for my puffer fish that I could possibly give her an overdose of, which seems like it might be a painless death.. :/ 

image.jpg

Never seen that or used that before. The other way I know if is Clove oil. 

In my personal opinion I would put the fish down. Even if you do treat the chances of it happening again for her is Highly likely.

On 1/20/2020 at 6:20 AM, Sokusfishtails23 said:

Just got back from a short trip to Duluth (My parents took care of her while I was gone), and she is looking much much worse... :( Do you think she is still treatable if I start immediately?? Thanks again for all the help, I really appreciate it!!

image.jpg

image.jpg

She's  Very Very bloated out now and the red is the fish's skin being exposed to the air. Im sorry :( 

She has found a way to position herself under the flow of the filter which is in the corner to keep herself submerged, so that’s good, and I started treating her with some salt in her water and may try the Epsom as well.. I will consider putting her down. She’s a very intelligent sweet fish so I’d rather get her better, but I’ll seriously consider it since all of this has her in a painful position and like you’ve said, she could easily be in this position again.. :/ Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it!!