Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Alyshabarnett

Help please! New goldfish has red scales. Red pest?!

Just received 5 new baby goldfish this morning. I ordered them online and had them delivered so they were in the bag for 12+ hours. 4 are completely fine but my little pearl scale has red blotchy skin and seems to be breathing quite fast. I’ve had loads of fish delivered before and never had this problem please could someone tell me how to treat it. Thank you so much! Will attach a pic not great but best I could get 

5574882C-BB66-42A9-83DE-8E238FBFF812.jpeg

Please copy & paste the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level(Tank)

Nitrite Level(Tank)

Nitrate level(Tank)

Ammonia Level(Tap)

Nitrite Level(Tap)

Nitrate level(Tap)

Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

Water temperature?

Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

How often do you change the water and how much?

How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

How many fish in the tank and their size?

What kind of water additives or conditioners?

What do you feed your fish and how often?

Any new fish added to the tank?

Any medications added to the tank?

List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

"If copy and paste doesn't work for you, quote this post and put your answers after each question

He looks like he got beaten up a little bit.

My first thought is to have him in a At. I would put in .1% aquarium salt in the QT.... Sometimes that's all they need for a few days. Or it could be bacterial..

@Arctic Mama your thoughts?

I’m having a hard time telling what is just knocked off scales on a button eye and what is the problem spot, I’ve had very red buttons and that tends to be normal.

can you turn him over in your hand and photograph the underside of his belly and gills under very bright light?

1 hour ago, Arctic Mama said:

I’m having a hard time telling what is just knocked off scales on a button eye and what is the problem spot, I’ve had very red buttons and that tends to be normal.

can you turn him over in your hand and photograph the underside of his belly and gills under very bright light?

You know @Helen is or was the queen of pearlies.   Oh Helen 😍

If she can help that’s would be great!  I haven’t had a pearscale in forever and now I’m actually in labor and delivery for drama with blood pressure and such, so while I’m here I’m not really ‘here’ to help, there’s a lot going on.

If she can help that’s would be great!  I haven’t had a pearscale in forever and now I’m actually in labor and delivery for drama with blood pressure and such, so while I’m here I’m not really ‘here’ to help, there’s a lot going on.
Lets see what the OP has to say now. Get better AM..... Take care of you and baby

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Hello, have you reported this to the seller? you would be within the warranty period and they should know as soon as possible that you have received one of their stock in a condition that has potential to worsen.. especially in pearlies. pearlies seldom recover from infection and anything appearing bloody like has potential to become just that. meanwhile, we wait more photos.

16 minutes ago, Helen said:

Hello, have you reported this to the seller? you would be within the warranty period and they should know as soon as possible that you have received one of their stock in a condition that has potential to worsen.. especially in pearlies. pearlies seldom recover from infection and anything appearing bloody like has potential to become just that. meanwhile, we wait more photos.

I haven’t reported it to seller as it was probably during shipping I guess? I got them from a very well known and respectable breeder I have taken some better pictures so will post them below 

Had to crop them loads for them to post so hope they’re ok. Wanted a pearl scale for ages, really hope there is something I can do to help her🙏🏼

51115602-2B58-4272-8B24-DA819E82F3F2.jpeg

71B6C377-6DC7-4BEF-92D0-E49AEC7E0AB7.jpeg

B798781C-C4B1-4018-B952-500AC02148C3.jpeg

56CC2BBD-A3F8-457F-A292-2EE4D32DD3EF.jpeg

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level(Tank) 0mg

Nitrite Level(Tank) between 0mg and 0.25mg

Nitrate level(Tank) 200mg😬

Ammonia Level(Tap)

Nitrite Level(Tap)

Nitrate level(Tap)

Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.5-8

Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Water life drops

Water temperature? 24c

Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 300 litres(sorry don’t know in gallons) been running for around 2 years 

What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Fluval U4

How often do you change the water and how much? 1-2 weekly 25% 

How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 4 days ago approx 25% 

How many fish in the tank and their size? 4 weather loach, 3 bristle nose pleco, 1 large Oranda, 1 large fantail(both goldfish live in the pond in the summer and tank in winter) 5 new fancy goldfish(approx an inch long)

What kind of water additives or conditioners? De chlorinator 

What do you feed your fish and how often? Flakes, sinking goldfish pellets and catfish pellets, once a day 

Any new fish added to the tank? Yes(the ones posted about)

Any medications added to the tank? Added melafix last week then did water change for weather loach who had swim bladder problems(fish has since died)

List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. White spot about a year ago treated with formalin

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Red blotches  

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Swims and eats normally but breathing fast 

Oof.  That’s not a great sign with the petechia and I can see the bloody spot much better.  This fish either got the snot bashed out of it in shipping or it had other underlying infections percolating and shipping just made the physical condition worse.  Helen should be able to help more with whether treatment is advised but pearlies tend to not bounce back well, and a replacement fish may be a better choice.

2 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Oof.  That’s not a great sign with the petechia and I can see the bloody spot much better.  This fish either got the snot bashed out of it in shipping or it had other underlying infections percolating and shipping just made the physical condition worse.  Helen should be able to help more with whether treatment is advised but pearlies tend to not bounce back well, and a replacement fish may be a better choice.

Gutted. Should I send an email and some pictures over to the seller? Sort of feel rude doing it but sounds like she may not recover 

Definitely send an email and pictures to the seller :( Sorry!

the only thing i can recommend until you contact the seller to receive further instruction..  is for the affected fish is to be QT'd in salt water. this may assist in the healing of wounds and possibly slow signs of infection that can result from these wounds. please contact the seller so they may address your concerns with their stock received. they are usually insured with the carrier.