Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Caretta Rose

Moving (again). Worried about acclimating to new water.

Hi all. So, I’m moving for December 1st. It’s about an hour away and I’m not too concerned about the moving process. However I am a little apprehensive about the water parameters of my new place. The source of water is entirely different for this city, and it has a distinct smell/taste. I haven’t tested the parameters specifically yet, but I’m worried this might have a detrimental impact on my fish after the move (stress of moving and then new water). Is there anything I can do to ease this process for them? Should I bring a huge jug of water from my current place and try to adjust them that way? Am I overthinking this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My question is what is the smell/taste. I went to a town many moons ago for training and the water there smelled like farts and tasted like Well bad... Is it like that or just chlorine?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Its an earthy smell and taste. The source of the tap water is from a river rather than one of the Great Lakes, produced from algae in the summer. It’s non-toxic and the quality of water is met to standards, but I’m not sure how it’ll affect the fish. It’s clearly different than what they’re used to.

The city suggests that if the smell really bothers people, to use an activated charcoal filter. I don’t use charcoal in my aquarium filter - would that be an option, you think?

For what it's worth, when we moved last year (2,000 miles), besides the two 5 gal. buckets the fish traveled in, I brought a 5 gal. camping cube of fresh water from home, then I set the fish up in a 15 gal. plastic tub for a while when we arrived (with their old sponge filter running in it). I put in the 5 gal. of fresh water from our old home, a little more than equal of new water, then a bit of water from each bucket when I added the fish. Then, over the next day or so, I kept pouring a bit of water out, & adding new water (I had the tub set up inside a bathtub, to make water changes easier).

you can add a charcoal filter to your current setup (keep in mind the overall flow rate), no problem. you should still have the cycle after the move and that will keep the fish safe. most filtration is sold with charcoal additions so it is very common. a few things you need to remember at certain times.

1. everytime you medicate the tank, you need to remember to remove the charcoal as it will interfere with the medicine.

2. must be changed every 6-8 weeks, otherwise it will carry dirt and possibly bad bacteria back into the water.

i've been out of the fishkeeping loop for a little while, so i can't remember other 'don'ts' with the charcoal, but they were the first few things on my mind that i would immediately advise.

i used to use charcoal in my filters before i purchased a filter with UV option. 

Just gonna update here. It’s been a week since I moved the fish to the new pad. The move went well, and we got it done a day before a big snow storm, so yay for that!

The water doesn’t have a smell, however it is hard. I notice a difference on my own skin (sensitive/eczema).

The tank kept its cycle and 2/3 fish are doing ok. I’m a little concerned about my Yuan Bao, who is typically my most energetic fish. He is looking a little listless and lost. Sometimes I’ll catch him beside the sponge filter just sort of hanging out there while the other two behave normally, picking away at everything.

He is still eating and comes up to me when I approach the tank, but he is not foraging with the others. No better way to put it, but he just seems lost. cf29479c7dd3962546d3a5b9e17081ae.jpgI also noticed two little pustules/white bumps form on his wen. Maybe he is having difficulty adjusting to the harder water? He’s also looking a bit paler.

I can add the params later today when I do a wc, including the pH. But the ammonia/nitrite/nitrates are currently at 0/0/10 ppm.

Interesting....

Tap: 6.6

Tank: 8.0

???? Didn’t expect that tap reading.

I did save some water from the previous place (~15 gal) which had a pH of 8.0 tap. Tank was at 8.2. Not a huge diff.

I’m doing a 25-30% wc now.

Ph rising up isn't much of an issue to ph going down. So I wouldn't worry much about that.....but in your issue on how low the tap is....you will need to do smaller and more frequent water changes. The reason is if you do a big one say more that 50%, you will be adjusting the ph to far down at first till it goes up on its own.

Also just by seeing them. They are chewing a lot. If it was me I would do a Prazi round on them or salt.

Ph rising up isn't much of an issue to ph going down. So I wouldn't worry much about that.....but in your issue on how low the tap is....you will need to do smaller and more frequent water changes. The reason is if you do a big one say more that 50%, you will be adjusting the ph to far down at first till it goes up on its own.
Also just by seeing them. They are chewing a lot. If it was me I would do a Prazi round on them or salt.

Good eye on the chewing... they just got fed!

And thanks for the info... yeah, the low tap was a bit of a shocker, honestly. I’ll do smaller wc’s from now on.

On 12/6/2019 at 2:20 PM, Caretta Rose said:

Good eye on the chewing... they just got fed! emoji4.png

And thanks for the info... yeah, the low tap was a bit of a shocker, honestly. I’ll do smaller wc’s from now on.

How are they?

How are they?

They are doing well! The Yuan Bao has perked up and is a lot more active. Still not foraging as much as the others, but definitely swimming around a lot more and getting some colour back. Eating voraciously when I feed them. I guess some just need more time.

b5aadcdddd79582a22b801dbf2a7e5c8.jpg

That's a good sign. Keep it up. You know you could get big containers and store water in there aged to let the ph go up. Just an 💡

I’ve never heard of that before. pH changes as water sits?

Let's try if you can. Get a jug or a 1 gallon container put tap water in, if you have an air bubbler put it in, let it sit for 24 hours.

I would test before and then 24 hours later. This way we can see how much it goes up.

I'd say the tap is 6.8 and Tank is 7.2

Not to big of a jump, but enough that if time you do mire than 50% water change it could make them feel uncomfortable.

You know you could do.....

Test your tank. Do a water change, wait 10 mins to let the water cycle. Then test again to see how far down it went on them.

Here is the tap water pH after sitting for 24hrs (no bubbler)

202AD026-D0BA-4C67-AA44-2466D9CBDE5E.jpeg

3 hours ago, Caretta Rose said:

Here is the tap water pH after sitting for 24hrs (no bubbler)

202AD026-D0BA-4C67-AA44-2466D9CBDE5E.jpeg

Looks to be about 7.4.....☺