Kokos Goldfish Forum
Jaydee72

Changing from salt to goldfish tank

Hi,

After 3y of keeping a reef tank i've decided to change to a goldfish tank after new year. I've already sold my corals and fish, cleaned the tank with vinegar to get rid of the lime and salt spots, cleaned the equipment and all is ready for the next big step. Reef tanks come with a sump. There's some of the equipment i still can use (return pump, led light, maybe heater). Now was my question what i should be using in the sump for filtration. The tank 55g (red sea reefer 250) with overflow comes with 2 filter bags in the sump that can do the mechanical pre-filtering.

I was thinking of adding a powerfilter. Where's the best place for this, in the sump or the main tank ? Then add a 3L bag with bioballs. Then 2L bag of Siporax ceramic rings. Would i need an uv-lamp too ? Is this too much for let's say 3 fish (Oranda/Ryukin/Veiltail - i'm not gonna add more fish) ? An airpump is also on my list. I do have several formats of wavemakers, but i think they don't use that in goldfish tanks.

I would do a fine layer of black sand 1-3mm on the bottom, together with some pebble stones/wood piece to attach some easier water plants (Anubia, Vallisneria, Elodea Densa, Rotala, Echinodorus amazonicus) that are good for goldfish and that don't need any extra co2 input. So a black backwall, black bottom, some green plants with pebble stones and colorful fish that stand out against the black. 

Any help/advise is very very welcome.

Jaydee

Hello, welcome to the forum.  I love reef tanks, I maintained my friends reef tanks whenever he was on vacation.  I know enough maintenance that convinced me that reef tanks were not for me.  :)

That setup sounds great, I would love a sump for my goldfish but at least I am using an overhead trickle filter that is working out really well.  For your power filter - is it the regular hang on the back power filter?  If it is, I would probably mount that on the main tank just because the intake tube can filter mulm/detritus from the tank bottom - I would recommend a pre-filter though, just helps prevent uneaten food rotting in your power filter.  If you don't like the look of that, you could mount it in the sump.

With that much capacity in your sump, I would look into bio-media that encourages denitrification.  Either used in a media reactor to slow the flow down to encourage denitrification or in your main sump if you can control your flow rate.  I shoot for 50gph or less.

If you have a UV filter, you could use it.  I don't, just a personal preference.  Maybe in an outdoor pond if algae is an issue, but goldfish thrives on algae.

Watch the  wood pieces, if it is large enough it may drop your pH if your KH levels are low.  Some of your plants may become salad items for your goldfish.  Good luck in your goldfish journey. 

Hi,

Thanx for the advice. I meant a sponge filter instead of a powerfilter though. I can probably put it in the sump or main display with and airstone or so.

The sump looks like this. So the water comes from the overflow into 2 filterbags, then in the larger area and then between 2 upright glasses before it goes to the return chamber.

Reefer-250-sump.png

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.