Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
FishyMandy

Spice has an Issue

Well, first time in a long while I've posted in this section :o

I suspect that with how slow this has been progressing, it isn't an issue that we can do anything about, but I thought I would post and get your guys thoughts anyway.

At the end of Last year, I noticed a very faint mark on Spice, it looked a bit like colouring under the scales. At this stage i didn't think much of it, it just looked like a change in colouring to me. Here are some (very bad) Photos from December Last Year

image.png.e59c90d29afcef2d9f6549d49a9ae687.png

image.png.1929fcbc015e9bd81e70c573285008d0.png

Gradually this spot has got bigger and more nasty looking, it is now slightly raising the scales on top of and around it. This is from February
image.png.54281b4ec0b98bb63ef760e69fec8198.png

And this is from March
image.png.be0b4120482b4cee8bfccaf52c724ee4.png

0WsBHbj.jpg

By May, it was getting more obvious 

image.png.c03f6c699b1a04fa0ff5a04b40f1177b.png

Unfortunately I seem to not have any Photos from then until now that show it, I thought I did but I guess I might have deleted them, anyway, this is it today

image.png.f7402e810bad915855825fdb6e40bd3e.png

ZIe12wm.jpg

image.png.2fde4df1fbe6d4360c82aadd4eade1c9.png

Sorry these aren't great Photos, he is still Super active and doesn't like to stay still. I'll post the form in the next post, just wanted to get the Photos all together

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level(Tank) 0

Nitrite Level(Tank) 0

Nitrate level(Tank) 10-20

Ammonia Level(Tap) 0

Nitrite Level(Tap) 0

Nitrate level(Tap) 0

Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) PH 7.6

Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) PH 7.6

Other Required Info:

Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Drops

Water temperature? Approx 22-23c/71-73f

Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 150g, about 5 years

What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?  2x Aqua One 1250 Canister Filters

How often do you change the water and how much? Every week, 90-95%

How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 6 days ago, 90%

How many fish in the tank and their size? 10 goldies, between 2 inches SL to about 8 inches SL (Spice is the biggest one and I've had him 4 years)

What kind of water additives or conditioners? Seachem Safe

What do you feed your fish and how often? NLS Thera A+ 2-3 times a day. Sometimes I'll replace one of those feedings with frozen foods like bloodworms, brine shrimp, mysis shrimp or community cubes

Any new fish added to the tank? Nope

Any medications added to the tank? Nope

List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Spice has never had any treatment just himself, I generally do a routine prazi round every year or so but it has been a while since I did one, I can't even remember the last time I did it and whether it was in the last year or not, I think it might have been though.

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Red, Raised Mark

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Occasionally, not all the time, he gets floaty and seems to have trouble controlling his swimming, like he will seem to be off balance and falling to the side. He isn't consistently like that and when he has an episode of it it only lasts a few hours at most

My personal thoughts have been that its some kind of tumor growing under the skin, just because of how slowly it has turned up. I was thinking if it was any kind of infection it would have spread a lot faster and possibly affected the other fish in the tank by now, but if there is something I could do for him I'd like to, it doesn't seem to be affecting his quality of life at the moment. He stresses a lot when been caught and he stresses a lot when in a Quarantine tank too (I've had him in QT only once when I first got him, and in a tub for a few hours while I was moving the tank and he really freaks out) so I don't want to do anything that will freak him out that isn't necessary.

The only thing I can think that might help and not stressful is salt.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Oh I actually did salt the tank for a week at few weeks ago, I only did 0.1% though.  I forgot to mentin that. 

Oh I actually did salt the tank for a week at few weeks ago, I only did 0.1% though.  I forgot to mentin that. 
Other than silver or salt, I think we would have to wait and see.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Yea, that's what I was thinking since it's developed so slowly. I did find my silver the other day so I might add some of that

Another possible treatment that seems to be able to arrest some tumor growth is acriflavine. You could try swabbing it on topically, which would be less stressful than waterborne.  Otherwise I think we are probably out of luck except for hoping it continues very slow growth.  Excising it surgically seems like way more risk and danger than it is worth, IMO.

6 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Another possible treatment that seems to be able to arrest some tumor growth is acriflavine. You could try swabbing it on topically, which would be less stressful than waterborne.  Otherwise I think we are probably out of luck except for hoping it continues very slow growth.  Excising it surgically seems like way more risk and danger than it is worth, IMO.

I agree, I also think it would be way too stressful for him and it appears to be too far under the skin for me to feel comfortable operating on myself, I have removed tumors before but only when they were just growing on the surface.  I'll see if I can find some acriflavine :)

Hi everyone, I've had trouble finding the acriflavine, but does this one look ok?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/KIYOSAKI-ACRIFLAVINE-100ml-solution-AQUARIUM-FISH-TANK-POND-TREATMENT-MEDICINE-/202250051751

He is getting worse, and I'm a bittorn as to what to do at the moment. He is having issues balancing and often floats, today he keeps flipping upside down. When he swims he seems to be struggling and the other fish seem to be starting to pick on him when he is having trouble, I've seen them bite his fins. 

Here are some photos from today, sorry they aren't very clear, my camera is flat so I'm using my phone. In this one you can see the area around the growth swelling, though it does look worse from certain angles

image.thumb.png.337e501cb1a920afbd9fd53590f6c1e3.png

Another one from above

image.thumb.png.465e96f06cda019e5229ded5a8cb82e5.png

Side View

image.thumb.png.7a1b3d7c797511f00ac8ad2006cc8944.png

A close up from about a week ago

image.png.01bdd49c43707de482fe4e4d240440f9.png

I'll upload some videos of him swimming soon

Another thing I've noticed, is when I see him poop (which isn't often but oftne enough I guess) it isn't a solid 'string' like you usually see. But is more like a cloud of mush that disperses as soon as it huts the water. Sometimes it will have more solid pieces in it but it seems to be mostly a cloud of 'bits' (Sorry for the gross description)

On 3/9/2020 at 1:20 AM, FishyMandy said:

Another thing I've noticed, is when I see him poop (which isn't often but oftne enough I guess) it isn't a solid 'string' like you usually see. But is more like a cloud of mush that disperses as soon as it huts the water. Sometimes it will have more solid pieces in it but it seems to be mostly a cloud of 'bits' (Sorry for the gross description)

That looks almost like a tumor hun....the way the blood veins are going around it.

Have felt it?

It definitely is a tumor, I had a fish vet on FB look at photos of it. Unfortunately he doesnt have any contacts in Adelaide to get advice from.

But the area its in makes it very hard to surgically remove.

Right now I think my plan of action is to just keep him comfortable as long as possible and once he can either no longer right himself or cant/wont eat I'll have to euth him :( I think there is much more of the tumor internally than we can see externally.

1 hour ago, FishyMandy said:

It definitely is a tumor, I had a fish vet on FB look at photos of it. Unfortunately he doesnt have any contacts in Adelaide to get advice from.

But the area its in makes it very hard to surgically remove.

Right now I think my plan of action is to just keep him comfortable as long as possible and once he can either no longer right himself or cant/wont eat I'll have to euth him :( I think there is much more of the tumor internally than we can see externally.

That's just sad hun. 😰

It is :( It breaks my heart to think about. I love him so much. He spends a lot of tiny resting under the filter spray bar these days. I wish I knew more about his history/how old he was when I got him. 

:hug