Jump to content
Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mikey

Moon needs help again

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone! How are you all? 

Moon is not doing well again. I believe it is super super early dropsy. I have her in a 10 Gallon QT tank with 1/2 Tsp. of Epsom salt and metronidazole. Today will be the third dose of metro after her 100% water change. I will post pictures very soon. On the first day she was c shaped and I was desperate and fed her maybe 10 pellets of metro meds that I had found. It was in the bag with a moisture absorber and then all of that was in a ziploc bag. It didn't smell rancid so I tried it. The meds are probably expired but in the condition she was in I wasn't sure if she would even be alive the next day. To my surprise when I woke up the next day, she was kind of swimming and wasn't on the bottom of the tank. I did not feed anymore of the metro meds because I didn't want to potentially poison her. Is there anything else I should be doing? Temp is 74.8. everything should be 0 or close to it as I have been doing daily 100% water changes. I do not have my test kit on hand. I left it at someones house and need to order a new one. pH should be 7.6. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The first two were from today at 12:06 AM. The other two were from 10/24 at 9:02 PM

IMG_1281.jpg

IMG_1280.jpg

IMG_1236.PNG

IMG_1231.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hi Mikey! hope you're well.. 

re Moon.. that looks like a saggy belly to me :( never a good sign (organ failure). the bounce back could be brief, unfortunately.  pls confirm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Helen said:

hi Mikey! hope you're well.. 

re Moon.. that looks like a saggy belly to me :( never a good sign (organ failure). the bounce back could be brief, unfortunately.  pls confirm.

Im doing okay!! How are you?? :) I’m not sure if it’s saggy or not. She’s definitely eating still and pooping though if that helps. Her gills look a little pale I think. These pictures are from right this second haha. 

3A20BB14-AF99-43C7-B253-693E303CBD72.jpeg

9425E7F3-5240-451B-A214-6F72095911EB.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh she doesn’t look good at all, yikes!
 

With the c shape I probably wouldn’t treat, but euthanize.  I’m sorry :( 

That said, if you are going to treat, why did you reach for metro?  Explain to her thought process to me about what gram positive/parasitic symptoms you were seeing? If we can understand what it looks like on your end that looks treatable we may be able to offer more guidance?  The lifting scales just in the rear and the c shape look more organ failure or internal tumor to me, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Oh she doesn’t look good at all, yikes!
 

With the c shape I probably wouldn’t treat, but euthanize.  I’m sorry :( 

That said, if you are going to treat, why did you reach for metro?  Explain to her thought process to me about what gram positive/parasitic symptoms you were seeing? If we can understand what it looks like on your end that looks treatable we may be able to offer more guidance?  The lifting scales just in the rear and the c shape look more organ failure or internal tumor to me, too.

Yeah not at all :(  She’s swimming around today as well. I didn’t have time to look much because I had to leave for work. I’m seeing raised scales near her Vent and it’s red there. And the back fins are a little deteriorated. It looked like the possible start of dropsy and I panicked and grabbed what I had haha. I went with the metro and epsom. It seems to have improved her from when I first found her. She’s definitely more alert and she hasn’t been bottom sitting that I noticed. 
 

on hand I have kanaplex, the silver stuff with the eye dropper, and I’m at work so I can grab whatever medicine you might recommend as long as we have it. I’m not ready to euth her yet. I want to keep trying. She’s my oldest and last original fish :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, I wouldn’t do the metro meds because of the age but waterborne metro could be used for two weeks, along with the epsom.  I’d do kanaplex except I think that would just be too hard on her organs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Okay, I wouldn’t do the metro meds because of the age but waterborne metro could be used for two weeks, along with the epsom.  I’d do kanaplex except I think that would just be too hard on her organs.

Yes no metro meds for sure. I only gave them to her the first night. I’ll see how she is maybe after a week of metro and then assess with you guys in whether we should do anything different. Thank you sooooo much!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just an update. Still going strong! Just changed her water. Here’s some new pictures. 

0972D76D-CB43-4E71-830A-80198FAC9101.jpeg

535C9907-4529-42C5-B5C4-9AFF5ECB5634.jpeg

068BBFC8-C753-4A3C-B00D-B93A610BA51C.jpeg

3B87E19C-58AE-4FFA-9DC1-9DA17A1C9754.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like her color looks a little better?  Keep it up if it’s working, Mikey!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

I feel like her color looks a little better?  Keep it up if it’s working, Mikey!

I think so as well. She’s eating like a pig ( :teehee) and very alert. I haven’t seen her bottom sitting either. The redness near her vent is almost gone. The scales are still a little raised there though. Her gills still seem kind of pale to me I think. Once I hit a week of treatments of the metro do you think I should maybe add some prazipro? It’s been quite some time since I treated for flukes. Or should I wait until I’m completely done with the 2 weeks of metro? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you think she is strong enough do them side by side, just so you’re not treating as long in QT. That’s the only reason upside, otherwise it really doesn’t matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

If you think she is strong enough do them side by side, just so you’re not treating as long in QT. That’s the only reason upside, otherwise it really doesn’t matter.

Okay, thank you!!! :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...