Kokos Goldfish Forum
Topsy

Oranda with Injured Eyes

Keep in mind, this is not my fish but rather one I am thinking about taking on if I can help it so please forgive the lack of information here.

There are 5 Oranda Goldfish in a (90 Litre/23 US Gallon) Aqua One AR-620, all of which range from roughly 9-17cm from tip to tail.

Tank has a lot of algae buildup, particularly on corners of the tank,  filter and ornaments. They were being fed at the time of photos being taken so water is quite messy- can't be sure of how often it's like that.

Regardless, there's one fish slightly smaller than most of the group (is a tad bigger than the 9cm) who has two damaged eyes that look like they aren't going to make it and I'm unsure of whether or not it'd benefit from coming into my care or not. I have a 10gal hospital tank I could put it in, or if it's healthy enough and I really need to I could move my axolotl to the 10gal and put the goldfish into my 30gal until I can find it a home. I don't really have anything for you to go on aside from the information I provided and some pictures.

I'd really like to know what people though about whether or not it'd survive (and recover) in it's current environment?

If it looks promising I'm happy enough to leave it there as I'd have to ship it to me and wouldn't want to cause unnecessary stress but if its not likely to survive where it is I'd like to take it on and try and help. 

#1.PNG

#2 (full body).PNG

#3 (other side).PNG

hello and welcome to kokos. 

it may have been better to post this topic in the 'general goldfish discussion' forum since you're not seeking medical advice at the moment, and just requesting opinions from the community as to whether you should attempt to save this goldfish or not.

in my opinion, and if it were me.- i wouldn't consider it. the fish seems to have a neglected wound. the wound seems to have created an infection that has grown beyond the eye and is now affecting part of it's head. 

in your position, i would try to assist their current owner in bettering their living conditions, ie, buy a much bigger tank with adequate filtration. help them through the cycle process to provide a proper living environment and start treating visible symptoms of each fish. the smaller tank they're currently living in can be used as a hospital tank.

or..

direct them here and they can be helped with via the moderators, disease assistants and admin.

• Like 1

Thank you and sorry about that! This post it ended up turning out a lot different than I'd first planned, hence posting here but in hindsight I definitely agree.

The owner is selling the fish and the tank so I doubt they'll be willing to do much to help it unfortunately, let alone buy another tank.

What do you think it's odds of survival would be if I took it in and started treating it appropriately?

And on that note, what would be the best course of action for treating it at this point?

i would prefer the appropriate people offer their guidance on treatments when they stop by. i just offered my opinions based on word and photo content you shared. i personally would not put an ill fish through the rigmarole of shipping. healthy fish get beaten around during transit and some don't arrive alive, i would assume an ill fish would stand less chance of surviving shipping. if it made it and depending on what health issues it may have, we could then work out what the odds are. too hard to speculate with the little info that is available to you. an advanced opinion? if i had a fish with health like that in my care, i would consider euthanizing it. 

lets see what others have to say :)

I have to agree with Helen,  I wouldn't put this fish through shipping,  I think it would be too stressful and would be highly likely to die during the process :( i dont think it would survive without treatment, and even with could be iffy, but i really dont think it could handle the shipping either :(

Agreed.  Goldfish are delicate enough with shipping and normal care that it really makes the most sense to start with the healthiest stock you can rather than trying to nurse one back to health, especially with such a severe wound.  The bulging is what has me concerned there is more underlying this than just a mechanical injury that didn’t heal well, and shipping could certainly exacerbate that.  

If it was an in person pickup there are thing you could try, but I really wouldn’t recommend spending the money and time on an animal that has a decently high likelihood of ongoing long term problems with his eye or jaw, in particular.  Those are very tough to treat.

Thank you all so much for the insight! 

I'm not experienced with goldfish (or injured fish in general) so I doubt he would've made it with me, especially with it being that severe! 

I had no idea how bad it actually was but it's very good to know, thank you all again!