Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mygoldfishmylife

How to stock 55 gal tank?

Hi everyone! I have a 55 gallon tank with two adult goldfish. I want to try adding more fish without overstocking. someone suggested 2 guppies, 2 Dalmatian lyretail mollies, and a pleco. What do y’all think?

The only thing i would possibly add is a BN Pleco, even that is debateable as to whether they should be with goldies, although I haven't had any trouble with it. From what I understand Guppies and Mollies prefer bigger groups than just two, I generally wouldn't recommended adding anything other than goldfish with goldfish. Smaller fish can easily become targets and seen as snacks

• Like 1

Also guppies and mollies like to have salt in there tank at all tomes. Mollies do better in brackish water and guppies just like a small amount of salty water.

I have had issues with a BN in the past. Bns need some kind of hidding spot and wood in there tank to make them happy.

So with all that info, I would just keep goldfish with goldfish. I have tried a lot of different kinds of fish in with goldfish and I found its just easier to deal with just goldfish in a tank with no other kinds of fish.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Guppies do fine without salt, since they so far removed from their wild counterparts. But mollies do better in brackish conditions, or at least very hard freshwater.

Could try a school of shrimp, and see how they go? Any that happen to come across the goldies would make a good snack. Just try to have areas that the shrimp can get away from, like a small bidet hole or a nest of plants.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Guppies do fine without salt, since they so far removed from their wild counterparts. But mollies do better in brackish conditions, or at least very hard freshwater.

Could try a school of shrimp, and see how they go? Any that happen to come across the goldies would make a good snack. Just try to have areas that the shrimp can get away from, like a small bidet hole or a nest of plants.

Btw, its meant to be hidy hole... not bidet. XD

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, aussieJJDude said:

Btw, its meant to be hidy hole... not bidet. XD

Don't you just love the spell checker 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1