Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DandelionBlue

Jaffa is Lethargic, Not Eating and now Bottom Sitting

Well he survived the night. He swam a little bit this morning. But then went back to lying very still on the bottom.

I will be changing the water this evening when I am back from work. I don't have another tank to put him in while I change it.

I could stick him in a bucket but I struggle to catch him with my bare hands and am worried I would drop him. And the pleco is pretty much impossible to catch unless he has sucked on to a log.

I do have a python and another hose that I attach to my kitchen sink. Normally I empty 90% of the tank and then fill it back up. I could do that and then another 20% change. Or I could run emptying and filling the tank back up in parallel.

Trying to figure out what will stress him the least.

So I just changed his water. I ended up doing a 90% and then a bit more than 50% change. Then I redosed the metronidazole.

I noticed two things.

He is looking very pink. All over his body

There were a few fluffy white poops in the tank. At least I assume they were poops. They looked very furry. And general white fluff floating about the tank. I forgot to take a picture before I changed the water 😣

Oh that isn’t good. Can you get Get me a picture of him now and a picture of him before he was sick? For contrast?  We may have to dose your kanaplex or triple sulfa with this to knock it out, if it works at all :(

The photos above show him now. He doesn't look as pink in them. And he didn't look as pink as he did when we were changing the water.

It's mainly from above that he looks pink

20191002_182356.jpg

I don't know if the pictures help. I didn't take the before pictures in very good light

Okay, let’s continue with the metro for now.  If he is looking MORE pink by Friday we will add in the kanaplex or triple sulfa together with the metro.  What is the pH of your hospital tank?  One might be a better choice than the other, depending on that.

Jaffa was a little more active last night. Swimming quite a bit between sitting on the bottom.

I woke up this morning to find the water in the hospital tank to be clouded. I have no idea why. The only thing I changed was add the new heater last night. So I changed the water 90% then 70%. And redosed with metronidazole.

Jaffa was very active almost excitable this morning. He kept swimming from corner to corner (the tank us probably too small for him) and did his feed me dance. So we fed him a tiny bit and he ate it all.

I am hoping this means things are on the up.

Oh the ph in the hospital tank is between 6-7 but more towards 7 really. (Yellow tending more to orange than green)

The hospital tank is cloudy because the poo and waste in the water isn’t being filtered out, but it being broken up by the airstone current.  Ignore that, it’s no big deal and something you’re managing through water changes.

Let’s hold with just the metro for now since he seems to be responding, definitely feed him if he will eat, but try to do it about half an hour before you change the water so you can remove any poo and keep it from spoiling the water :)

I have returned home to find him back to bottom sitting.

The water was cloudy again. I did change the water again. I hope that was ok.

He still looks pink to me from the top. But to be fair I am not sure how he used to look from above as he was in a much bigger tank.

IMG-20191003-WA0001.jpg

The pink looks okay still, not too much more intense or bloody, but he definitely needs his medicine :)

Changed the water after work yesterday and redosed the water with the medecine. He went through stages of bottom sitting and swimming. But he did eat.

This morning he is swimming so far and ate when I fed him.

The water still keeps getting cloudy overnight. I want to change it. But am worried I will run out of meds if I have to redose twice a day

The cloudiness won’t hurt anything.  If you’re really worried just use air hose tubing to siphon out poop after each meal, but this is why I generally feed right before a water change.  

Him wanting to eat and not spit is a great sign!

Jaffa was doing a lot better today. As far as I could tel he was swimming all day. He got excited everytime we approached the tank. And has been eating. I am about to do today's water change

• Like 1

That being said he still looks pink to me and his veins are quite prominent in his tail and fins.

I also haven't seen any poo eventhough he is eating. Unless it's all being broken down by the bubbler. 🤔

So he is continuing to swim and interact. He eats morning and evening. I still don't see much poo. His tail is still streaked. 

How long will I continue giving him metronidazole 

Two full weeks, fourteen days.  If the water is cloudy that’s very likely the poo breaking up into it. The bubbler going overnight will cause that.