Kokos Goldfish Forum
mawgui

Does My Goldfish Have Dropsy?

He is pretty quiet so far as I can see.  Unfortunately, I can't attach an mp4 video but it isn't much different from this picture.  (I had to take it from above because of the milky storage container sides.)

20191005_134452.jpg

Can you scoop him into your hand so I can see a side shot of his gills and under his chin, please? He actually looks better than I was expecting - has he shown any odd behavior that doesn’t just seem to be pouting during water changes?

Did you other fish end up passing?  I wasn’t clear from the other post.  

What has this orange fish been treated with over his life?  Can you give me a brief history of him?

I'm sorry for the delay.  I was hoping to get some help taking a pic of the goldfish that you requested - will need the extra pair of hands and will try again tomorrow!

I have attached a picture of the surviving goldfish as best I was able to take it while doing the water change.  When I disturb him, he swims rapidly and rather violently around the container, bouncing a bit into the walls.  Then he goes pretty quiet.  Usually, he keeps his face close to the plastic wall of his storage container.   He does not show the interest in food that he used to.  But he does appear to be eating some.

He really does not have much of a history.  He came from the pet store a couple years back and for the most part seemed really pretty happy for a goldfish.  He and his companion were active and always swimming and loved to eat!  The only treatments to which he has been subjected were incidental exposure to anti-algae stuff to try to keep the green stuff under control that liked growing in the aquarium.  (Yes, I did follow the instructions on use.)  

Yes, the other fish passed away, looking rather bloated and bruised.  He/she is now buried in the backyard "pet cemetery," I'm afraid.

20191007_011920.jpg

You could try feeding the fish garlic soaked blood worms. Sometimes that will get them too eat. You could also try and find duckweed another kind of food they can't resist. It's a plant you can find at most mom and pop fish stores. 

Thank you for your note.  He is showing more activity.  Fortunately, he has taken back up his favorite hobby: eating.  The food that I put in for him is all vanishing.  Evidently, the eating habits of my goldfish are a bit like the boiling habits of a watched pot.

• Haha 1

That’s good news!  Eating is happy goldfish behavior.

Fishy is ready to go back to his aquarium home.  He is swimming more happily and eating greedily.  I have changed 80% of the water in the aquarium and emptied the water (but not the slime) from the filter.  I have thoroughly cleaned the rocks at the bottom.  I will test the water before moving fishy.  Should I maintain the aquarium at the 78 degrees of the hospital tank or let it revert to room temperature?  Is there anything else I should be mindful of when moving fishy?  

Thank you for ALL of your help!  I hope that nothing untoward befalls the remaining goldfish!

I’m glad he is doing so much better! When it comes to filter maintenance I think taking a bucket of old tank water and smacking the filter floss against the side of the bucket monthly is good for cleaning out the excess mulm and junk.  Just don’t use chlorinated tap water, you don’t want to negatively impact your bacteria population :)

I’d probably move the temperature down to 75, that’s where I hold it, but goldfish are comfortable in a variety of temps.  I wouldn’t revert to room temp just because I think that is maybe a little chilly for most fancies, they seem to thrive with it a bit warmer.

Remember to do significant weekly water changes - 80-90% is great, and remember to keep buffering it if you are already.  Otherwise it sounds like you’re on the road good health :)

I am posting an update because Fishy worries me still.  He/she doesn't move very much.  Just sits at or near the bottom of the tank.  At least he does when the light is on; when I see him with the light off, he seems to be more likely to be swimming about.  He is eating (but not when I am watching.)  I have checked the water and the pH, ammonia, nitrates and nitrites all seem to be where they should be. The heater is small for the tank so it is probably around 78 degrees at the top of the tank and a couple degrees colder at the bottom.  He does appear to have lost a few scales, but I believe that was mostly from when he was in the hospital tank and freshly returned to his own tank and crashing from end to end.

What are your expert ideas?  My thoughts are that he a) may not like the light and me staring at him, b) he prefers the cold in the bottom, c) he is lonely, d) ???

Thank you!

20191110_130803.jpg

When you can a full tank shot. I do believe your tank has to much gravel in there but I can't see everything.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk