Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Endorite

Canister filter

I have a canister filter and I was changed the filter media today and put in some top fin quartz bio balls but then the filter wouldn’t start when I put it back in the tank! It was making a loud, constant, clanging sound (the bio balls I assume) but it didn’t do anything else, I never saw any water leave the filter! I don’t know if I did something wrong or if I messed up my filter or something (I’ve not used this filter media before, but I thought I followed all the directions). If anyone has any experience with this, or any ideas on what I’m doing wrong I’d really appreciate it, thanks!

...nvm... I left it alone for a hour or so while I was looking it up. I randomly decided to try plugging it in again and it decides to just start working like nothing ever happened... :blink:(I think my aquarium hates me:rolleyes:)

• Haha 1

Glad it started working again...nothing more frustrating than a filter, especially a canister that refuses to run.  My guess is that it lost it's prime - perhaps air made it's way through the hose or canister body during the service  That would explain the rattling sound until water filled up the chambers again.

On 9/23/2019 at 8:36 PM, Endorite said:

...nvm... I left it alone for a hour or so while I was looking it up. I randomly decided to try plugging it in again and it decides to just start working like nothing ever happened... :blink:(I think my aquarium hates me:rolleyes:)

Im sorry about that, My canister did that to me too years ago. Like @dahling8 said it might have had an air pocket in there. Sometimes if you have a prime bottom you have to push it for a while till you get the air out of it :) 

I’ve also had inflow tubing kink on me before and impede the water flow, also causing failures in the filter running.  I actually just replaced a tube that did that multiple times and crashed my filter - it just would NOT stop sagging and kinking over time and all the sudden I open the cabinet and have no idea how long it’s been running dry for 😒