Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JenniferNomNom

HELP: Ich not responding to salt and heat treatment?

Hi all, I hope you can help my fancy goldies. This is my first encounter with ich.

Day 1 (Fri) - Noticed ich on all of my fancy goldfish!!

- slowly raised temperature up to 80F

- slowly add 1 tbsp per 5 gallon (I had some salt as preventative, so I just did the difference)

- fed soaked pellets in garlic

Day 2 (Sat) - All goldfish are sitting at the bottom of the tank

- not panting heavily though

- raised canister filter's output higher above water level to create water movement and oxygenate tank more. The strong water flow made them more active but still sits eventually

- removed everything out of the tank except for gravels

Day 3 (Sun) - Appearance of cyst increased

- goldfish are scratching vigorously

- did a 30% water change

- add salt to the correct % of aged water added

- all goldfish's back fin drooped (not clamp shut)

- tail fins look pale, I have one fish that is splitting a lot (doesn't look like fin rot). Had another big split shortly after water change. No observable bullies and only gravels in the tank.

What else to do??

It's probably too soon. I'm trying really hard to not panick and rush anything or make new attempts because it'll probably make things worse. But it is so hard to stand by the sidelines and not being able to do more to help.

1) Has anyone raised the temperature higher than 80F for their fancy goldfish? I read it's possible to go up to 86F, true??

2) I have 1 tbsp per 5 gallon. How much more salt can they handle?

3) Keep temperature at 80F and 1 tbsp per 5 gallon for 14 days?

4) Do about a 20% water change every other day?

5) If I run out of aged water, adding prime is okay?

6) In case after 14 days and ich seems to be resistant to heat and salt, what other medications and drastic measures can I take?

7) Increased of cyst, sitting at the bottom of the tank, fins splitting... are normal during treatment?

Tank status

- 45 gallon

- 3 fancies (I'm cycling another tank atm)

- gravel

- api water test results for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are in good range

- elevated canister filter's output and 2 air stone pumps to oxygenate tank (planning to add two more if that helps in anyway)

- temp: 80F

- 9 tbsp of aquarium salt

* pictures of goldfish to come

Hope I can get some guidance and learn from your experiences! Thank you for your time!

- Jennifer

Edited by JenniferNomNom

1) Has anyone raised the temperature higher than 80F for their fancy goldfish? I read it's possible to go up to 86F, true??

Yes, I went to 86 when I had to treat my tank for ich

I salt to 0.3% which is 1 gram per litre.For your tank that would be  510 grams. I add this 0.1% at a time every 12 hours, so it would be 170 grams every 12 hours

3) Keep temperature at 80F and 1 tbsp per 5 gallon for 14 days?I

Keep the salt concentration and temp for 2 weeks after you've seen the last ich dot disappear

4) Do about a 20% water change every other day?

Lots of WCs are good during the treatment

Yes, make sure to add the salt to the new water you are putting back in

6) In case after 14 days and ich seems to be resistant to heat and salt, what other medications and drastic measures can I take?

There are medications that you can buy to kil ich, most of them as far as I know, will also kill your cycle though

7) Increased of cyst, sitting at the bottom of the tank, fins splitting... are normal during treatment?

Bottom siting and split fins I've found are normal with ich and the treatment, as they are quite stressed during it.

On 9/23/2019 at 6:23 AM, JenniferNomNom said:

Hi all, I hope you can help my fancy goldies. This is my first encounter with ich

You want 1 Tablespoon per gallon.  You are not using enough salt to affect the ich at all.

On 9/23/2019 at 6:23 AM, JenniferNomNom said:

3) Keep temperature at 80F and 1 tbsp per 5 gallon for 14 days?

4) Do about a 20% water change every other day? Yes

Once you have 0.3% salt in the tank, you  add the salt to the new water when you do a change. Salt doesn't get used up.

What do you mean by "aged water"?

Once you get the salt up to 0.3%, you should see results.  All you have been doing so far is raising the temperature.  

Tank status

- 45 gallon

- 3 fancies (I'm cycling another tank atm)

- gravel

- api water test results for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are in good range

- elevated canister filter's output and 2 air stone pumps to oxygenate tank (planning to add two more if that helps in anyway)

- temp: 80F

- 9 tbsp of aquarium salt

* pictures of goldfish to come

Hope I can get some guidance and learn from your experiences! Thank you for your time!

- Jennifer

Please read this article on using salt.

To treat ich, you use 0.3% salt.  That is 3 teaspoons of salt per gallon of water.

• Like 1