Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mygoldfishmylife

Type of gravel for 2 large goldfish?

Hi all! I currently have a bare bottom because it's the easiest to clean. I have a 55 gallon tank with 2 large goldfish. I used to use marble as substrate (about half an inch thick) but it would trap so much waste and make siphoning take so much longer. I'm afraid if I get actual gravel, my fish would suck it up since they like to scavenge among the gravel. What type of gravel do you recommend for larger goldfish? Thank you!

I would recommend Sand over actual gravel :)

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of sand too!  Not more than a half inch thick works for me, so it's quite easy to stir up and siphon the waste. 

I just do the thinnest layer of sand, like, a cup for the whole tank.  The bottom shows through but it gives them enough to forage through and cuts the glare of the lights off the bottom.

Thank you for your inputs! I was going to ask, how would you prevent toxic gas pockets from happening and releasing into the tank? Using a cup of sand is a good idea. 

Also, if you were to decide to take out the sand of the aquarium.... how would you go around that? I'm sure that would be a pain:fishtank

I scoop it out with a cup or bowl, and use airline tubing as a siphon to remove any of the rest I want out.  The narrow gauge of the tubing makes a pretty powerful substrate sucker :)

• Like 1

With my tanks with a thin layer of sand, I paint the outside bottom of the tank a flat black.  When sand does get pushed aside, it still looks quite natural and without any glare too.

• Like 1

I haven’t found the outside paint does much to cut glare but it is certainly better than just a straight mirror bottom!

We have black foam interlocking mats under my tank. Those are also pretty matte (no pun intended) and distribute the weight a little to prevent pressure spots on the acrylic.  Theoretically speaking, anyway.

• Like 1

I love the look of acrylic tanks, but there's not much love in return!    I look at it funny and scratches magically appear.  

• Haha 1