Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
goldfishnewbie

Secondhand Aquarium Glass Yellow

I recently acquired a 20 gallon tank from a neighbor, it looks great and it’s been running for about a week now. No leaks, everything’s good, and I’m trying to do a fishless cycle. Here’s the problem: the glass is yellowish. Now, I know this isn’t a danger to the fish and sometimes happens with an older aquarium. But I prefer the aesthetic look of a clear aquarium (and yes, I’m sure it doesn’t just look yellow because of dirty water. The water was crystal clear when I put it in a bucket). Is there anything I can do to make it look clearer? Or will I just have to live with it?

I don’t know of anything to whiten it, I’m sorry!  Maybe there is a blue film you can apply to the exterior glass to cancel out the worst it the visible yellow tone?

What kind of lights are you using?  Some of the old incandescent lights casts a yellowish tint, but if the lights are good perhaps a background to take the edge of the yellow tint or some of the newer LED light strips can highlight other colours to neutralize the yellows.

In some of my tropical fish tanks, I use almond leaves that release tannins in the water.  Water is still clear, but it has an amber tint.  I don't really notice the difference over time.

When I got the tank it just had the tank, no light hood. As of right now I have neither a light nor the money to buy one. That’s a good idea, though, so maybe I’ll look into that for the future. Thanks!

For now the tank will just have natural lighting, as the room it’s in is well lit.

Also, don’t worry, I’m trying to make some kind of DIY cover for the tank so my fish can’t jump out out of the tank.

If you are able to find some smaller pieces of white light diffusers, I call them "egg crate", they can be cut to size to fit perfectly over the edges of your aquarium with a pair of tin snips or diagonal/wire cutting pliers.  They are sold in sheets at your local home hardware place i.e. Home Depot, Lowe's.  You don't need that large a sheet, so maybe you might have friends and family that have pieces leftover from their diy projects.

It won't help much with evaporation, but you can get creative with it and cut it to your tastes.

This gives you an idea what it looks like.  I still prefer glass tops, but for a fishroom, it's a less costly option.

https://www.amazon.com/AMERICAN-LOUVER-Eggcrate-Louver-ALUMMIL2448-2PK/dp/B06XGZ42J3/ref=sr_1_23?crid=49SA2QUAHX2H&keywords=egg+crate+light+diffuser&qid=1567698976&s=gateway&sprefix=eggcrate+light+%2Caps%2C218&sr=8-23

No problem, I hope you can find a good fix.

If you go the eggcrate route, I meant to say that the edges of the cover should just fit the inner lip of the top tank frame.  On most tanks, there should be a recessed lip to hold a hood/canopy or glass top.