Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Amber

What is this spot on my butterfly’s tail?

Your getting great advice.

One other question for you. Any of the orniments you have in there hollow? I can't see but how deep is your gravel?

• Thanks 1

I have one branch ornament that’s hollow, It’s not very big. My sand is about 3” thick.

What are your thoughts on making medicated fish food that treats the fish directly instead of treating the water??

Nope.  They need to be separated out, it’s tough to medicate two fish accurately with the feeding method. While you could try to feed it that method is a lot fussier and you’d still need a hospital tank setup. Plus, this isn’t the kind of bacterial infection that would be best for that kind of route.  The nitrofurazone is specifically good in topical applications and with topical ulcers and cysts that’s what we are looking at.

You may consider removing all but about half an inch of that sand; that can be a big contributor to the bioload of the aquarium with all the food and poop it can trap, as well as pockets of nasty anaerobic bacteria that are difficult to manage without regular sifting.

• Like 1

Got ya! My husband isn’t to keen on a separate hospital tank and wanted me to ask.

thank you!

3 minutes ago, Amber said:

Got ya! My husband isn’t to keen on a separate hospital tank and wanted me to ask.

thank you!

It’s really not that bad, I promise.  Like I said, a tote works fine.  I happen to have a tank I’m using but just popping it onto a kitchen or bathroom counter works fine.  Here are some hospital setups I've used.

1A387551-5EE1-4F54-AC2D-6F1AC3651751.thumb.jpeg.e41d67e0c5dd08eb0d09cf9d3b2b53db.jpeg

7E556643-7E59-4530-8CEC-5F52492AC301.thumb.jpeg.34f8de1619eca2cf65c42e1fc5f974ff.jpeg

74692D58-A3F3-41BF-A68D-E40432A8BCEF.thumb.jpeg.426f2c305007cccce4892b53def22c99.jpeg

The top one is a tank and the bottom two are different totes on the kitchen counter, ones I happened to have on hand and emptied stuff out of.  I think they were $7 a piece 😆

• Like 1

Would 2- 5”+ butterflies be ok in a tank that small your first pic) for the duration of treatment?

1 minute ago, Amber said:

Would 2- 5”+ butterflies be ok in a tank that small your first pic) for the duration of treatment?

They would; but I change the water twice daily.  The bigger plastic totes are better choices.  I have one three inch ranchu in that ten gallon tank right now and I change once daily, but whenever I have two in there I do morning and evening.

Perfect. Thank you for all your help! I have all the stuff needed except the meds. They won’t be here until tomorrow.

I do already have methylene blue & paraguard. Are they useful at all right now?

Meth blue is great but don’t run that in the main tank or it will knock back your filter a bit, at the amounts we would be using.  I don’t think we will need Paraguard for this :)

• Thanks 1

Also a good tip......

Simple tanks are the best for them I found. Meaning if you don't have plants that don't need gravel, dont have gravel in the tank or just a small amount of it. Also same thing goes with ornaments. They don't need them, they are more for us to look at. Plus it takes away the water volume in the tank.

So let's say you buy a 40 gallon tank, but you put in 10 pounds of gravel and ornaments, now you have displaced about 5 or more gallons of water. Now the tank that was 40 gallons is now only 35-30 gallons of water.

My tank is kinda bare. I have two ferns attached to the wall and the filters. It's easier to take care of I find.