Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Emilia

Possible Ich/thick slime coat?

I’ve currently got a metal bathtub outside and I was looking to how my goldfish were today, I’ve noticed that most of them have this stuff on their bodies? It looks like their slime coats are getting super thick or something similar. I did a large water change yesterday afternoon to clear out a lot of the debris and whatnot and the temperature is roughly 10 degrees celsius (I know it’s quite cold for them but there isn’t much I can do right now) it may be ich, I don’t quite know. The water parameters are fine, im currently looking at getting a large sponge filter + filtration system for my tub as well, as of now I have a small solar powered pond fountain which isn't on much due to it being winter. I've owned the large yellow comet for just under a year now and the large orange comet and small calico were added about two months ago along with a large calico fantail and a few other small comets, no one has died and they've all been healthy up until now. The yellow comet looks like on one of his gills, that the inside (Or a layer from somewhere) has folded out along the edge as well which worries me a bit. 

Image-5.png

Image-6.png

Image-7.png

Hi! nice to see another Adelaide person on here :) If you fill out this form the best you can it will help us get to the bottom of things and the cause :)

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level(Tank)

Nitrite Level(Tank)

Nitrate level(Tank)

Ammonia Level(Tap)

Nitrite Level(Tap)

Nitrate level(Tap)

Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

Water temperature?

Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

How often do you change the water and how much?

How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

How many fish in the tank and their size?

What kind of water additives or conditioners?

What do you feed your fish and how often?

Any new fish added to the tank?

Any medications added to the tank?

List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

"If copy and paste doesn't work for you, quote this post and put your answers after each question."

• Like 2

Ammonia Level(Tank) - 0 pmm

Nitrite Level(Tank) - 0 pmm

Nitrate level(Tank) - 0 ppm

Ammonia Level(Tap) - 0.3 ppm

Nitrite Level(Tap) - 0.10 ppm

Nitrate level(Tap) - 4.0ish ppm

Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) - 7

Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) - 7.4

Other Required Info: 

Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? - API test kit (Includes pH + high range, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate) drop kit

Water temperature? - 10 degrees Celsius 

Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? - 200ish Liters - running for over a year 

What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? - I don't really have a filter but i am looking into one, right now a do 50/60% water changes at least once a week and a small solar powered 'filter' (More like a fountain) 

How often do you change the water and how much? - At least once or twice a week, 50/60% of it is changed

How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? - Yesterday afternoon

How many fish in the tank and their size? - 7, two 11cm(ish) comets, three 4cm(ish) comets, one 3cm calico and one 9cm(ish) calico fantail

What kind of water additives or conditioners? - None 

What do you feed your fish and how often? - API goldfish flakes and barra pellets (I get my barra pellets from my work "Elite fish") I feed them once a day

Any new fish added to the tank? - The last fish added were a few months ago now

Any medications added to the tank? - A handful of aqurium salt and API stress coat

List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. - There has been no prior medical history with these goldfish, only the salt and stress coat today

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? - Either ich or slime coat has thickened up a lot

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? - Nope, all are acting normal 

I've also tried ever so gently rubbing off the kind of thicker of slime with my fingers and they seem to come off quite easy, I know I probably shouldn't be touching my goldfish because it can stuff up their slime coat but I also have a feeling it might not be ich because it's not lots of little tuffs of white, it's just like a very thick slime coat.

44 minutes ago, FishyMandy said:

Hi! nice to see another Adelaide person on here :) If you fill out this form the best you can it will help us get to the bottom of things and the cause :)

Ammonia Level(Tank)

Nitrite Level(Tank)

Nitrate level(Tank)

Ammonia Level(Tap)

Nitrite Level(Tap)

Nitrate level(Tap)

Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

Water temperature?

Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

How often do you change the water and how much?

How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

How many fish in the tank and their size?

What kind of water additives or conditioners?

What do you feed your fish and how often?

Any new fish added to the tank?

Any medications added to the tank?

List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

"If copy and paste doesn't work for you, quote this post and put your answers after each question."

I also forgot to add that I use rainwater only to fill up my bathtub, I also have one lilypad plant, a hair grass, and something similar to an iris? It has similar flowers and the leaves are quite flat and pointy

Hi! You work at Elite? Awesome thats my favourite store! Have to head up there again sometime!

I'd probably keep on with what you're doing, I agree it doesn't look like ich!  Maybe salt to 0.1%  (1 gram per litre).  And get the filter cycled and sorted as soon as you can :) 

For the folded gill has it always been like that or did it change? I've often seen fish with folded gills as birth defects

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

Hi! You work at Elite? Awesome thats my favourite store! Have to head up there again sometime!

I'd probably keep on with what you're doing, I agree it doesn't look like ich!  Maybe salt to 0.1%  (1 gram per litre).  And get the filter cycled and sorted as soon as you can :) 

For the folded gill has it always been like that or did it change? I've often seen fish with folded gills as birth defects

Elite fish is great, it's worth the trip!

I'll most likely have to grab some more salt then haha, last night when i was seeing if the slime stuff would come off, I did have a look at the yellow comets gills a bit closer and the folded part is attached to the rim on the gill but it's curled out which he doesn't usually have, I'll be keeping an eye on him for the next week or so, it may just curl due to the bathtub being very cold or a lot of new water, i don't quite know, ill see what my co-workers think but hopefully it will flatten out back to normal soon enough.

the ph got my attention. I would like you to set up a jug of water from the water source you use for the fish's water change. Test it then let it sit for 24 hours and test it again. I want to see if the ph is crashing. White slime like that can be ph issues.

Do that for me and report your readings please.

Oh and :welcome