Kokos Goldfish Forum
DandelionBlue

Meet Blacky - my Koimet / Black Comet

Hello everyone. I used to be a member of this forum but disappeared for a while.

I thought I would share some pictures of my black comet, also know as a Koimet. He is actually a hybrid between a Koi and a Comet Goldfish.

I found him in a fishstore back in 2014. Making him almost 5 years old. Back when I got him he had a bit of a different shape. Almost shark like. I got him because of how interactive he is.

He now measures almost 8 inches. He is a big fish! He is mat black with a white silver belly. And recently has developed an orange spot on his throat. He lives with his goldfish buddy Jaffa (used to be orange) in a 250l aquarium.

He is the funniest fish! So much character. He always interacts with us. Will splash us with water. And thrusts himself half way out of the water to get attention.

In fact we found him on the floor one morning. No idea how long he had been out of the water but he was dry to the bone. But I noticed him move his gill. Amazingly (and very much due to this forum and Koko) he survived. And is thriving now.

I used to have a thread called Two Fish in London for anyone who is curious.

Anyway here are my pictures. They are a bit blurry because Blacky never holds still.

20190810_101303-01.jpeg

• Like 1

He is stunning! I have a black Koimet too, she lives in my pond so is hard to get photos of but is one of my favourite fish

:hi I remember Blacky. I'm so glad to know he's doing great after that, he sure looked like a dried out mess on that one side.

He's looking great now. I see he has a friend now too.

How you been?

I'm no expert on hybrids, but that fish looks like a wild-colored comet to me.  The dark color makes it hard to see some of the markers of a hybrid like the number of lateral line scales and the number of dorsal fin spines.  

Does the 8" length include the tail?  

13 minutes ago, shakaho said:

I'm no expert on hybrids, but that fish looks like a wild-colored comet to me.  The dark color makes it hard to see some of the markers of a hybrid like the number of lateral line scales and the number of dorsal fin spines.  

It does have the barbells like a koi. Does that mean it's a hybrid or is there more to look for?

The length of the dorsal fin and how many rays connect to the body is a good indicator as well as the shape of the head and mouth position.
Looks like a hybrid to me.

Still a very beautiful fish!

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

He is stunning! I have a black Koimet too, she lives in my pond so is hard to get photos of but is one of my favourite fish

I don't like playing favourites.  But I must confess he is and has always been. 

He interacts with me a lot more than Jaffa and any other fish I have had.

I saw pictures of your Koimet and she is gorgeous. 

I have considered putting Blacky in a pond numerous times. But he spends so much time cruising the surface and interacts with everyone even dogs. I fear he would get eaten by something pretty fast. Especially since where we moved has predatory birds.

4 hours ago, koko said:

:hi I remember Blacky. I'm so glad to know he's doing great after that, he sure looked like a dried out mess on that one side.

He's looking great now. I see he has a friend now too.

How you been?

Hi Koko. I will never forget that you saved my Blacky. I will be eternally grateful.

His recovery was a miracle. Remember he lost all his scales on one side and you suggested colloidal silver. All his scales grew back. And you would not be able to tell something ever happened to him unless I told you.

Yes. His wee friend is Jaffa. He used to be white / orange and lost all his colouring. He is actually a rescue. One of the girls on this forum rescued him and his sister from her clients. I had a spare tank so took them in. Unfortunately his sister was disabled. They broke her tail and she could only swim with her pelvic fins. So she sadly passed 2 years ago. 

I also used to have a beautiful yellow comet. She was Blacky's partner and as far as I know perfectly healthy. But I introduced Jaffa to her tank because I didn't want him to be alone. And right away he bullied and chased her around the tank. I took him back out. But I think her heart couldn't take it. Because she passed the same day.

Since then it has thankfully been smooth sailing. So far.

I recently relocated from London to Yorkshire. That is a 4 hour drive. So we moved the fish. In gigantic 42 litre buckets. And it worked. They are fine. But my filter bacteria have taken a bit if a hit. So going through a mini cycle at the moment. Lots and lots of water changes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shakaho said:

2 hours ago, koko said:

It does have the barbells like a koi. Does that mean it's a hybrid or is there more to look for?

49 minutes ago, Daniel E. said:

The length of the dorsal fin and how many rays connect to the body is a good indicator as well as the shape of the head and mouth position.

I am pretty sure he is a hybrid rather than a wild-coloured comet.

He was sold to me as a black comet. His colour is indeed black rather than brownish.

I had no idea he was a hybrid until a lady on here pointed it out to me. I believe she counted his lateral line scales. I just attempted to do that but I am struggling because he move so much. And he is too strong for me to hold steady. Same with the dorsal rays.

I will try to get some better pictures when there is more light.

A clear indicator are the tiny tiny barbels next to his mouth though. They are really difficult to spot but they are there.

Also his mouth is positioned lower than Jaffas. His eyes seem a bit different too.  And the general shape of his face is different. More "shark" like for lack of words. But the most easily spotted thing is the shape of his fins. They are rounded rather than pointy. And whilst his tail fin is huge (clearly not a common single tail) it is more triangle / heart shaped. It doesn't have the clear V-shape of a comet. 

His behaviour is also a bit different. He is far more intelligent than my goldfish. And far more aggressive. Oh and he jumps. Which is a well-known koi behaviour.

There wasn't a lot of information when I first got him. But I did stumble across a rumour that breeders purposefully cross bred goldfish with koi to create these "black comets". Later this was proven by Australian scientists who tested their genetics and I believe banned them.

Now there is a little more information out there.

This is quite a good thread:

https://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/threads/koi-goldfish-hybrids.188053/

• Like 1

Oh. He is closer to 10 inches with his twil. Difficult to measure since he never holds still.

I do hope to get an even bigger tank at some point. But they are very expensive in the UK, since anything bigger than I currently have has to be custom fabricated.

• Like 2

Here are some pictures if his friend Jaffa. A comet.

He gets riled up by Blacky. So difficult to capture on camera again lol.

20190810_204941-01.jpeg

• Like 1

On 8/10/2019 at 11:23 AM, Daniel E. said:

I never knew that. I just look for those barbells👍 good to know.

I remember Blacky!  So much bigger now, wow!