Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bmblsad

Mixing sand and gravel?

I'm setting up a 29g for my oranda (moving him from a 15g).  I am using Carbsea torpedo beach sand.  I'm planning to plant it, too, with anubias, java ferns, and other low-light, low maintenance plants.    But I've read that sand can get compact and develop dead spots.  So was wondering if I should mix it with some Imagitarium (Petco) snowy river gravel.  Any opinions on mixing gravel and sand for a goldfish tank?  

Thanks!

Beth

Unless you're using gravel or larger pebble pieces for the look, I prefer using just sand.  When you stir your pebble/sand mixture when gravel vacuuming, eventually all the larger gravel bits will settle on top as the finer grains of sand trickles below.  

I've never had a problem with dead spots in sand.  I can see it happening in deeper sand beds that are not stirred up, but I use a very thin layer of sand and stir it up every water change - no chance of sand every compacting.  I paint the outside bottom of the tank black, so when viewed from the top of tank, it looks very natural.

Are you growing your anubias and java fern on stones or movable objects?  If you are, you can get away with a much thinner layer of sand, just enough to cover the tank bottom.

• Like 1

Ah, physics.  Good point about the sand and pebbles separating.  Definitely need to rethink that one.

The anubias and javas are currently growing in (rhizome above) a layer of caribsea eco complete in a 15g.  I'm going to tie the anubias and javas to driftwood when I move them to the 29g tank. I also have some dwarf hairgrass growing in the 15g (though not all that well) that my oranda mostly ignores.  I was hoping I could move it over and get it growing in the sand and add some other things.  I just don't know how deep the sand should be to allow roots to grow.  I can see already that the amount of sand I've put in is too much, so will need to remove some before I go any further.  Thanks so much for the tips!