Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Arctic Mama

Meet my new babies from ECR! UPDATE 10/1/19

Courtesy of Cynthia and that wonderful raffle, I had $50 to put toward an East Coast Ranchu order.  I was out of town the first week and waited to order, but found some fantastic oranda babies to practice grooming, as well as the MOST ADORABLE RANCHU I’VE EVER SEEN and a majestic Thai oranda.  

BEHOLD!

965C16DD-5C9C-413F-9C33-0AAC4812E352.thumb.jpeg.fe60157fe1610949ac2ccccb77fac41e.jpeg

The babies!  Eight Thai oranda babies, pre-color change.  They’re so itty bitty.  My kids have already decided to name one each and I’ll do the remainder, but not until I can tell them apart 🤣 We had a little rough start when they were mostly spitting food but I managed to get some bloodworms (I’M NOT HAVING MAJOR HIVES ANYMORE YAY!) into them and they’re tolerating my fluval Bug Bites now too, so long as the pieces are small.  Still not bit fans of my homemade fish meal/super green gel food though.  

Being allergic to shellfish and trying to feed goldfish - the struggle is real, guys!  The fact that I can now tolerate the blood worms as long as I’m wearing nitrile gloves is HUGE!  I used to react just opening the container.

ANYWAY, enough digression.  Baby top bin view, ahoy!

3CA03444-8EF8-4F45-9177-3FCB4144B45D.thumb.jpeg.568dc88b338dee54fc745bfe1adcf7a6.jpeg

Now onto the older guys - still under a year, for sure.  The as of still unnamed Ranchu and Oranda, though I’ve gotta tell you I’m leaning toward Tony and Natasha because Endgame wrecked my heart ❤️ 

A6F0FE37-8655-415D-AE18-F12E4D82F29E.thumb.jpeg.d6cb0a0a7daa858b04118a9e699508f9.jpeg

B6CDD8D0-AF9A-42DC-99AC-2670FB4E76C6.thumb.jpeg.092554c224d90a0934430c93de9f2167.jpeg

E138E955-9ECC-42CB-B8DA-D31412143032.thumb.jpeg.d02f784e44177e0e427befb86652d319.jpeg

EEAD0779-B58D-4834-A440-2822E3BCF650.thumb.jpeg.d5c625d4d17211668fad67ade4448450.jpeg

Current set up is new sponge filters I’m just letting establish for their tanks, plus air stones.  Water is at 75 F and I’m doing twice daily changes to keep the ammonia at 0-.25.  Feed schedule is four small meals a day and I’m not feeding the bloodworms until right before the water changes to keep them from fouling it unnecessarily.  The babies are really slow eaters because of their tiny mouths so I don’t want that gunk lingering in there - after fifteen minutes I’m siphoning out any excess worms and feeding them to the big guys, since I can’t divide a frozen cube without potential allergic reaction.  ANYWHO....

Current issue is that my main tank has my two remaining Thai oranda imports from the previous year, who survived whatever took out my tank.  They were showing no symptoms for the whole year prior but a cycle bump from a filter failure seems to have exacerbated their condition and I’m seeing some redness and fin rot on my calico.  I was already concerned about mixing the two sets, but as of now I’m removing those two (Sherlock and Watson) to a hospital tank in a separate room of the house and treating them while I nuke the main tank with pool shock.  I’m not taking any chances with the newbies, and if they don’t look pristine for a few months back in my bedroom, with lingering symptoms, I’m just going to leave them back there in their own tank.  I don’t want to risk reintroducing whatever is in their systems to the main tank if I can’t have confidence it was totally wiped out, especially because it may have been viral, given the treatment history.

Better safe than sorry, right?  As beautiful as my existing duo is, they may just be Typhoid Mary, so we shall see.  Here are Sherlock (the sick calico, poor guy!) and Watson (the orange and white) in their last day in the main tank before hospital and nuking:

9E085063-F4E0-43B7-B2FE-9022702A0E32.thumb.jpeg.a323ab6ffd2f0d45b784e3247cf9845e.jpeg

Note that poor Sherlock has some excess slime coat that the remaining sand is sticking to, as well as some fin degradation and redness.  He isn’t showing behavioral symptoms but this is definitely an early warning to treat.

7D980483-11EE-42A4-AA8C-51851A3A0B62.thumb.jpeg.b0004a407d8ba3c6b9af18d802bab52e.jpeg

Watson is seemingly bullet proof, though I’ve seen a little redness in his tail the last day or two.  They were fine before I had a filter stop pumping I didn’t catch, and then the spike when it started up and had to re-establish itself.  Sigh.  

For biosecurity, the new guys have entirely new equipment if I couldn’t sterilize it properly, and are also in a completely different part of the house.  I even bought them their own food packages and have them stored in different spots, and different gel food in the freezer.  Different syringes for water testing, etc.  I’m not taking any chances with their immune systems, especially the babies.  And given that I had a whole tank go down and still am not sure of the exact cause, the survivors are being treated as suspect until plenty of time has passed symptom free.  Even though their current malaise is almost certainly aeromonas due to the filter issues I’m not ruling out that it could be a resurgence of the hexamita-like symptoms, and I’m restarting the clock on their symptoms free days and not considering introduction of them into the clean system until at least three months have passed with nary a frayed tail.

I’ll keep this thread updated with progress pictures from the new guys, and get a video uploaded later as well.  Thanks again Cynthia!  I’d been waiting a year or three to buy from her because of this viral issue but the opportunity presented itself with the giveaway, so here I am with a gazillion water changes again 🤣

FBBE6751-0557-4FA2-91A0-8D8CB69B8109.jpeg

(Aren’t they the cutest?!)

• Like 3

They’re all so beautiful I had an ecr thai calico oranda for awhile before i rehomed my Goldie’s. I cannot wait to get another when we get a house eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing!  Cute, beautiful fish.  Good luck with growing out the orandas, they should be spectacular!  What variants were the parents?

• Like 1

Parents of the babies were Yoghurt and Turnip or one of Turnip’s offspring, if I recall. Don’t know what breeding stock the older ones came from :)  

The ranchu is a buffalo head and the orandas are all Thai orandas, I believe.

• Like 1

How big are those babies? They're adorable! Makes me miss my two....really wished I knew why my tap water is so high in ammonia. :\

They are all gorgeous! Can't wait to see them grow

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SGcvn69 said:

How big are those babies? They're adorable! Makes me miss my two....really wished I knew why my tap water is so high in ammonia. :\

The actual babies are about an inch, nose to tail.  Six weeks old according to their Mom ;)

• Like 1

That's happy!  Thanks for posting, glad you got those fishies!  :D

• Like 1

As of tonight they’re doing well!  I had one to the babies who wasn’t acclimating well and wasn’t eating, but with some treatment and more time he seems to be perking up.  They’re all pretty much voracious, active water piggies at this point :)

Got some pictures after tonight’s water change - I swear the babies have already grown a bit!

Here are the biggest and smallest baby Thai orandas:

8ACDEE8A-E02B-4C51-8176-05288F4E958E.thumb.jpeg.b51c1a3ad181a6deeadfd77f68f37158.jpeg

1B68C2B6-55E7-4DDB-A8A0-F9CC63F4E407.thumb.jpeg.a6aa5dbfc17d56e90b2396aaeb1cd3db.jpeg

And a group shot!

34BF3614-590E-4CBA-8FAC-02AF075C4049.thumb.jpeg.c98b1211659626a5e939642ef9ded771.jpeg

And here are Tony (the Sakura male) and Natasha (the ranchu, looks female but I’m not entirely confident of her sexing)

CFF47579-DF6B-461B-9505-C891B55C4E5E.thumb.jpeg.97db5757e1277ee31dc63b6ce637aea5.jpeg

50B73B5B-FFBA-4072-A6FF-9805F83EED8A.thumb.jpeg.c873084f35c591ef69a7d4960156c7fc.jpeg

Natasha said “ACK PUT ME DOWN!” :D

Fun tip - In a quarantine, if you’re feeding messy foods I recommend doing them immediately before the morning water change and evening water change, makes it SO much easier to remove uneaten food and poop when it’s all happening that close to fresh water coming in.  Consider siphoning up any remaining poo with a little length of airline tubing about fifteen minutes after the change as well, that’s when the worst of the mess has happened. 

I notice a much lower ammonia reading (about half!) when I time those two big feeds right before my two big daily water changes. I also feed them lunch but can they manage thrice daily water changes, so it has to be good enough as is ;)

Oh wow those babies are BABIES! So tiny! :heart I am just currently caring for my Petco Oranda instead and like you, doing twice daily water changes! 

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 1:15 AM, Arctic Mama said:

1B68C2B6-55E7-4DDB-A8A0-F9CC63F4E407.thumb.jpeg.a6aa5dbfc17d56e90b2396aaeb1cd3db.jpeg

34BF3614-590E-4CBA-8FAC-02AF075C4049.thumb.jpeg.c98b1211659626a5e939642ef9ded771.jpeg

Oh my goodness!  Tinies! 

Look at all the Tinies! 

They are all Tiny! 

Soo many Tinies!!!!

• Like 1

@Acro they really are so tiny but I swear I see them growing by the day.  I really should start weighing them.  Everyone is thrilled with the blood worms and scarfles them down so quickly 😍

• Like 1

[mention=14085]Acro[/mention] they really are so tiny but I swear I see them growing by the day.  I really should start weighing them.  Everyone is thrilled with the blood worms and scarfles them down so quickly

Can you tell the babies apart so you can track weight, or do they all look pretty much the same right now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Morgan'sMiracles I can sort of tell them apart now, as some are slimmer and a little smaller and some are wider and chubbier.  But they’re all the same olive baby color still, and all metallics, so until they have their color change I’m treating them as generic “oranda babies”.  But I’ll let my kids name them once I can differentiate :)

• Like 1

UPDATE!

All issues in Sherlock and Watson were dealt with and they were added back to the main tank.  Main tank finished cycling and the eight babies, Tony, and Natasha were introduced. Natasha did start shoeing some symptoms of off behavior after about a month, but with a little treatment and some time back in quarantine she is now doing great and has been back in the main tank for about a month.

The babies are much bigger!  Full juveniles now, about 2.5 inches of body length and three of the five have fully changed color.  It’s kind of random which ones have changed, not necessarily the biggest. But they’ve done amazingly well and acclimated better to the main tank than the adults did!

Tony, the Sakura Oranda, has had some floating issues lately.  It seems to be the switch from blood worms over to repashy, but more testing is needed.  Buoyancy after feeds aside, he is doing so well and actually chased Watson and we got a spray of eggs!  So those two clearly like each other and the spawning behavior was amusing.  I wasn’t able to capture the eggs before they got gobbled up but it’s a good sign for their overall health and happiness that they’re active and frisky and still growing.

And now, PICTURES!

D52CFDCF-5BFE-48E0-8A60-8C2E0DC2D1E0.thumb.jpeg.3fcf5989a9c742503b04e58efa987a61.jpeg

Got everyone in one shot, except Watson!  Note the five black juvies who haven’t changed color and the three orange and whites :)

Natasha, the little ranchu, is being cute to the right of the filter.  Sherlock (Calico oranda) is bottom right, and he is my only non-ECR goldie in this picture. Occasional floating Tony is off to the left.  Haven’t the juvies grown?!

62E2FF71-4151-4F68-877E-C2F8C38F3957.thumb.jpeg.a9a0bdef30b9b8c33f101029b33a0439.jpeg
Watson making a fish face in front. Now a confirmed female after the recent egg chase with her and Tony.

542CC6FD-E083-45D9-91F4-5841929F13E3.thumb.jpeg.faabbde78a469e0cd2dbd46cfd753ced.jpegSherlock, Natasha, and some juvies :)

D3A63961-6529-434B-A7D5-4A7516364DB9.thumb.jpeg.63b34e4a8b9457cd2c9a379508eae740.jpeg

Juveniles in various states of color change.

8D0024C5-6A79-4183-A03D-F477B2EB964C.thumb.jpeg.40a8db37812fd2b76852181459116d11.jpeg

Tony, Sherlock, and some juvenile friends.  Tony the Sakura oranda is the one who has been having some floating issues off and on.  He’s doing amazingly well otherwise, and is definitely interested in the ladies, as his breeding tubercules indicate :)

That’s the updates for now!

• Like 1

The fins on the ECR babies are amazing right now. Im wondering if they will look like yogurt ? They all look really nice and happy. :)

Well breeding is a great sign. Mine actually stopped this week, I think cause its so cold now :lol 

30 minutes ago, koko said:

The fins on the ECR babies are amazing right now. Im wondering if they will look like yogurt ? They all look really nice and happy. :)

Well breeding is a great sign. Mine actually stopped this week, I think cause its so cold now :lol 

I know I don’t wanna get frisky when I’m cold 🤣

The fins are nice, and they have the transparent edge of Yoghurt.  Since that’s mom I’m not terribly surprised but they’re looking great.  Not huge, but still growing steadily. 

• Like 1

I know I don’t wanna get frisky when I’m cold
The fins are nice, and they have the transparent edge of Yoghurt.  Since that’s mom I’m not terribly surprised but they’re looking great.  Not huge, but still growing steadily. 
Me either

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

• Like 1