Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Morgan'sMiracles

Back in the Game

12 hours ago, Morgan'sMiracles said:

It's an LG g3, with 32gb storage and a 32 32gb storage card lol

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

That looks really nice. I like to look at other phones, but I don't think I could give up my Note3 phone. Love that phone :) 

Hello! It’s been a long while since I’ve posted on here I don’t even know last I was around haha. But I haven’t had goldfish in some 2 years and I’m dying to get more. The largest tank I can get is a 10g. We are going to be moving either to a bigger apartment or buying a house next year so I could upgrade. Is it reasonable/ ethical to have a single goldfish in a 10g until next spring? Especially if I get a small one and do frequent water changes?

Please let me know what I need for supplies; it’s been a long time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you sure you can't swing for a 20 gallon?  With a 20 gallon, I'd say "go for it" starting with a lil baby goldfish.  But a 10 gallon . . . I'd hesitate.  

Are you sure you can't swing for a 20 gallon?  With a 20 gallon, I'd say "go for it" starting with a lil baby goldfish.  But a 10 gallon . . . I'd hesitate.  

Believe me, I’d LOVE a 20g- heck I’d love a 75g! But my landlord okayed a “small” fish tank (a 2g) and I managed to switch for a 5g which I’ve since taken down. So I’m just hoping he won’t notice that the 10g is bigger and he would definitely notice a 20g... For some reason he is very concerned about the apartment flooding, though I’ve NEVER had a tank explode.

Posted (edited)

A 20 gallon tall has almost the same footprint of a 10 gallon, maybe it could work?  The deeper (aka taller) aquariums aren't the most ideal for goldfish, but you could make it work if it was the only option for now.

Edited by Acro

A 20 gallon tall has almost the same footprint of a 10 gallon, maybe it could work?  The deeper (aka taller) aquariums aren't the most ideal for goldfish, but you could make it work if it was the only option for now.

What are the dimensions of the 20H vs the 10? Our landlord lives in the same building so I’m just nervous if he had to come up that it would be very noticeable. I’m nervous to press him about it and get a definite no, ya know what I mean?

So I didn’t end up getting goldfish. I got three pineapple swordtails instead. I couldn’t bring myself to put a goldfish in such a small tank.

• Like 1

You . . . are . . . a . . . wise . . . one.          I congratulate you on the choice! 

Pineapple swords are beautiful, how many males and females?  I got some neon swordtails a yesterday!  :D  Mine are too young to sex at the moment, but I've got about 12 of them.

• Like 1

Welcome back Emilee! Would love to see photos of the swords, I don't think I've seen them before

• Like 1

You . . . are . . . a . . . wise . . . one.          I congratulate you on the choice! 

Pineapple swords are beautiful, how many males and females?  I got some neon swordtails a yesterday!  default_biggrin.png&key=a88ab10b1ff76b321ffc67b9a1a1810b068007b54e44925511ff3a55538a39ef  Mine are too young to sex at the moment, but I've got about 12 of them.

Thanks! I really wanted goldfish but I guess that can wait until I can get a bigger tank. I got two females (Mabel and unnamed) and a male who hubby named Smitty! I don’t think we can fit more in there lol but Mabel is full of fry so we shall see what happens

I didn’t see any neon swords at the store but they had some pretty kosaku swords (koi) that I LOVED but there was a dead fish and the male had no sword so I opted for the pineapples. Congrats on your babies!

Welcome back Emilee! Would love to see photos of the swords, I don't think I've seen them before

If I can ever figure out how to post a video, that’s them lol

Also I purchased sinking pellets from omega one for them but it’s unclear if they know that they are food. Should I purchase flakes and any suggestions on which ones?

You did it lol. Oh now I miss my hubbies guppies. Good choice👍

Try frozen blood worms.

• Like 1

You did it lol. Oh now I miss my hubbies guppies. Good choice
Try frozen blood worms.

Is there a food you’d recommend for daily use? And maybe a filter lol I’m not sure what their requirements are for a filter!

1 minute ago, Morgan'sMiracles said:

Is there a food you’d recommend for daily use? And maybe a filter lol I’m not sure what their requirements are for a filter!

Since they are so much like guppies, I would do blood worms and flakes. My hubbies guppies loved that kind of mix.

As for filtration, just a hob would be good.

• Like 1

Since they are so much like guppies, I would do blood worms and flakes. My hubbies guppies loved that kind of mix.
As for filtration, just a hob would be good.

Do they have a specific GPH requirement like goldfish do? And I have hornwort and some kind of moss; should I put a sponge over the intake to reduce clogging or is it not necessary?

Just now, Morgan'sMiracles said:

Do they have a specific GPH requirement like goldfish do? And I have hornwort and some kind of moss; should I put a sponge over the intake to reduce clogging or is it not necessary?

They do like the water ph in the 7.2 to 8.0, and stable. So make sure your kh is up there so your ph will be stable. I wouldn't worry about a sponge filter as these guys can't destroy plants like goldfish can lol

• Like 1

They do like the water ph in the 7.2 to 8.0, and stable. So make sure your kh is up there so your ph will be stable. I wouldn't worry about a sponge filter as these guys can't destroy plants like goldfish can lol

Ok! Thanks Koko. How many swords do you think can comfortably fit in the 10g? I think one of them has babies in her. Also, how often and how much should i do water changes given that my tank isn’t cycled? I was thinking every other day, 2-4 gallons.

6 minutes ago, Morgan'sMiracles said:

Ok! Thanks Koko. How many swords do you think can comfortably fit in the 10g?

I Would only have one male and two females. Since the do breed like crazy. If you don't want them to breed. I would just do all male or all female. About 3-4 of them.

6 minutes ago, Morgan'sMiracles said:

I think one of them has babies in her. Also, how often and how much should i do water changes given that my tank isn’t cycled? I was thinking every other day, 2-4 gallons.

That sounds about right.

• Like 1

Thanks Koko! I don’t plan on buying more because I have no desire to set up a qt tank I was more thinking in terms of keeping babies haha!

If you want to keep babies in there. your going to need plants. Lots of plants. The fry once they are born like to hide in the plants. I would have some that will float at the top so that the fry have a place to hide. The parents will try and eat the babies, because they are so small that they look like lava to them. :O 

• Like 1

If you want to keep babies in there. your going to need plants. Lots of plants. The fry once they are born like to hide in the plants. I would have some that will float at the top so that the fry have a place to hide. The parents will try and eat the babies, because they are so small that they look like lava to them. :o 

I have a thick java fern and some sort of moss and some hornwort wrapped around the mug I put in there for the grown ups. I’m hoping by the time any babies come around that the hornwort will have grown significantly!

4 hours ago, Morgan'sMiracles said:

I have a thick java fern and some sort of moss and some hornwort wrapped around the mug I put in there for the grown ups. I’m hoping by the time any babies come around that the hornwort will have grown significantly!

That should work for ya :) 

I got a filter and an air stone and a thermometer, plus flakes. Somehow the auto heater was at 86! I unplugged it immediately. The fish seem much happier now Hopefully there are no ill effects from the heat. I’ll have to buy a different heater before winter comes for sure but I think they’ll be okay for now at room temperature...

16 hours ago, Morgan'sMiracles said:

I got a filter and an air stone and a thermometer, plus flakes. Somehow the auto heater was at 86! I unplugged it immediately. The fish seem much happier now emoji2356.png Hopefully there are no ill effects from the heat. I’ll have to buy a different heater before winter comes for sure but I think they’ll be okay for now at room temperature...

What kind,d of heater was it. As long as they don't fall below 75f 👍

What kind,d of heater was it. As long as they don't fall below 75f

I’m not really sure; I took it from my brother and it’s one of the automatic ones. It might’ve just been too high of a wattage, but he has all 10g or smaller so idk. Probably the internal thermometer is off. 86 is too hot right? Probably the light was strong and contributed to the heat too.