Kokos Goldfish Forum

Azuma Nishiki are Japanese variety of top view oranda.  Beautiful fish, not very common.  I believe Azuma refers to the location that the fish originated "Azuma Name Meaning. Japanese: an archaic word used to mean 'east', originally applied to the fifteen northern and eastern provinces of Japan. " Nishiki on the other hand is a little harder to nail down, it translates to "brocade" which going from memory is a colored fabric.  Often you see the word nishiki applied to calico colored fish like Azuma Nishiki and Edo Nishiki (calico top view ranchu).  It also can be translated to "colored carp" as in nishikigoi aka Koi.

What makes these fish top view fish instead of side view is interesting, their wen grows like a top view ranchu with a fun-tan on the front.  The fun-tan is the front most portion of the went, I guess you could call it the corners that square off a ranchus head, side vew they look like cheeks, its pretty cute.  They are also longer than your thai and chinese oranda which usually have a nice compact and round body shape.  Their fins splay out to the sides as well, really a nice fish to watch from above.

My group of Azumas came from James Alderson, if you do not know him he is a champion guppy breeder and also into breeding goldfish.  I am currently working one spawn from this group.  I also have  tank full of Azumas that I am quarantining/holding for this year's west coast goldfish palooza from Rob Crosby.  I was considering keeping a couple of fish from Rob's line to work and possibly outcross with my current line.  Well as luck would have it Rob's fish started spawning this morning and made the decision very easy for me, all of Rob's fish go to the auction and I get a mop full of eggs for my troubles, what a deal!

Rob's Azumas spawning

A few of my Azumas in a bowl

I really don't want links to drive people over to instagram so if someone has a tip on how to share files that are over 1mb let me know.

1 hour ago, fishmish said:

I really don't want links to drive people over to instagram so if someone has a tip on how to share files that are over 1mb let me know.

Don't worry they are playable from the forum. So people don't have to go over there :)