Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Megan33

Randy Oranda

I have just received a black oranda and pearlscale. The oranda is the most gorgeous fish I've ever seen and I'm totally in love with him, BUT he keeps chasing my pearlscale. I've emailed seller and he's informed me, it's spawning season😵.

I just don't know what to do...

I'm possibly going to get 2 more girls next week but that's a a good few days away.

4 hours ago, Megan33 said:

I have just received a black oranda and pearlscale. The oranda is the most gorgeous fish I've ever seen and I'm totally in love with him, BUT he keeps chasing my pearlscale. I've emailed seller and he's informed me, it's spawning season😵.

I just don't know what to do...

I'm possibly going to get 2 more girls next week but that's a a good few days away.

Can you get a photo I would love to see them.

Yup its breeding season and if the fish have good water quality they will go on and on. Mine do it almost every Friday :rofl

Do you know how old they are? 

It sounds like you have  male oranda and a female pearlscale.  I had a similar pair -- a female pearlscale, Pearls, and Fanny the male fantail .  They were inseparable.  All of the fancy goldfish I have had since then appear to be descended from these two fish on at least one family side and most one both sides.  Some are almost as round as a pearlscale and almost all have the "crown" wen of Pearls, the mother of multitudes.

Pearls, like many pearlscales, was always getting herself stuck somewhere.  It seems like freeing Pearls from the flowerpot she was exploring was a daily duty.  One day I couldn't find her through a long search.  Then I found her wedged between two flowerpots that were very close together, I removed the pots and the injured Pearls, and put her in an  aquarium of clean salted  water. Her surface injuries healed in about a week, so I put her into a tub with Fanny.  They stayed close together.  Unfortunately,  Pearls had internal injuries and died about a week and a half half later.  Fanny died the next day, presumably of a broken heart.

Awww so sad😢.it's hard to lose any fish, especially when they mean so much.I am in love with my oranda from day1.

Unfortunately he has velvet/fungul  infection, so lights have been off.

Here's a pic that does his beauty no justice. I've ordered medication, which is arriving tomorrow and dosed the tank with API salt.

Image1617176841.jpg

Image1404204576.jpg

No Koko,not sure how old they are but I will ask the seller. He goes to China to hand pick breeds, which he then breeds on in his business. I was in talks with him to get a red oranda and a panda oranda but this infection has really pissed me off. Luckily I test water twice a day and I'm super invested in their welfare, so I spotted this very early. 

Does anyone have any thoughts on what my fish has? His medication came today, thank God but he is looking really bad.

I first thought velvet but now I'm thinking fungal infection. I've dosed the tank with medifin, that's why my water is blue.

Image15835777.jpg

Image1116454485.jpg

22 hours ago, Megan33 said:

Does anyone have any thoughts on what my fish has? His medication came today, thank God but he is looking really bad.

I first thought velvet but now I'm thinking fungal infection. I've dosed the tank with medifin, that's why my water is blue.

Image15835777.jpg

Image1116454485.jpg

That looks bad, Lets start a thread in the D&D area so we can figure this out. :) 

https://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/10-disease-diagnosis-treatments/

I hope he gets better

Thanks but unfortunately he died this morning

I'm so sorry to hear that. Hugs.

On 5/30/2019 at 3:53 AM, Megan33 said:

Thanks but unfortunately he died this morning

Oh no :( It sounds like he had more than fungus going on.

How are your other fish? Im worried about them now :( 

They are doing ok. 

I think it was low pH, which was at 6. I bought loads of medication for a "fungus infection" and tried everyone I could get quickly.when I should of just been testing pH. Instead I was testing am,ni,ni everyday, but this once a week. The last time I tested pH was on 26 may and it was at 7. I should of brought that up a bit but I didn't know. The upsetting thing is I had the pH buffer all along. I brought this up 2 days ago, same day he died. I'm gutted, and feel this could of been avoided.

Image1095382580.jpg

You know funny thing but not. I was thinking the ph too, but I assumed :( that you where testing that.

The whiteness reminded me of when I moved to Oregon and TD (my Hubby) did a water change and didn't add in my buffer. The fish got all white, so he added the buffer but it was to late for my Moor :(

Lesson learned. :( My ph was going down here for a bit and I was lucky that TD tested the water for another project and it was very low. So I tested my kh and it was low too. So for me its back to the crushed coral and Wondershells :)

I think the lesson here is once you know your kh and your ph are on the low side we have to test it every water change :) 

Yes, lesson learned!! I really loved the fish, but as I've only ever had tropical, I'm learning as I go. I hate that it was my fault and I could of easily had my oranda still happily swimming.

I won't be getting anymore until I get my 450 long, which I think is better for orandas anyway. Then any first sign of an issue, I will be first on this site with test results, size, filter, issue etc.

Promise!

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this