Kokos Goldfish Forum

Years ago I got a butterfly tail goldfish. I have never seen these again! Where can I find these? I'm in Pittsburgh, PA, USA

On 5/22/2019 at 11:07 AM, SGcvn69 said:

Years ago I got a butterfly tail goldfish. I have never seen these again! Where can I find these? I'm in Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Those are hard to find. I think I would check out Dandy Orandas he might have some of those :) 

On 5/24/2019 at 1:56 PM, koko said:

Those are hard to find. I think I would check out Dandy Orandas he might have some of those :) 

Aren't they?! I ask the fish store and they're like we can order them for you, but I don't want just any random one! I want to pick! 

12 hours ago, SGcvn69 said:

Aren't they?! I ask the fish store and they're like we can order them for you, but I don't want just any random one! I want to pick! 

Thats the best part of finding a fish. Picking the one you want :teehee

Check Dandy's or SoildGold too. She had them at one point I think. :)

4 hours ago, koko said:

Thats the best part of finding a fish. Picking the one you want :teehee

Check Dandy's or SoildGold too. She had them at one point I think. :)

Jennie hasn't had goldies for sale for a long while, she hasn't bred again since her fishroom got wiped out :c

On 5/29/2019 at 11:34 PM, FishyMandy said:

Jennie hasn't had goldies for sale for a long while, she hasn't bred again since her fishroom got wiped out :c

Oh man I thought she would have had them back.... How sad :( 

Sad indeed! Dandy hasn't had any auctions lately. Koko, I got my shirt and sticker today! Thank you!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SGcvn69 said:

Dandy hasn't had any auctions lately. 

Did you see what he wrote on his Auction page?  Check it out:

Everything Must Go SALE!!! FINAL WEEKEND concluded LAST WEEK.

Due to tariffs on goldfish!???, my supply has been seriously impacted. I've been keeping this to myself since last fall when I received an unexpected bill for several thousand dollars due to the 10% tariff. Now due to current trade uncertainties, and an increase to 25%, I simply can't afford to import fish as I've done every year at this time. As a result, I am running out of stock. Instead of spreading out current stock over several weeks, I plan on selling everything this weekend, then ceasing operations for at least a few months. Hopefully, there will be a return to reasonable trade soon, but only time will tell. Since 1986, Dandy Orandas has provided American's with fish that simply weren't available outside of China. That's required a unique set of variables including knowledge of fish pathology, understanding and navigation of import methods, good connections and communication with Chinese suppliers, great customer support, and many other hats that I've had to wear to make this business a success. It's also taken actual blood, sweat, and even a few tears. Goldfish have been my life every day for the last couple decades, and my main supplier is one of my best friends. Our relationship goes way beyond just business, and it's unfortunate that we are in this position. While Americans are being told otherwise, please know that tariffs are NOT being paid by China. They are a direct tax on importers that is then passed on to consumers in the form of higher prices. With my current business model...doing everything indoors in Michigan, my over-head is already very high. With this additional tariff, I find myself with an equation that no longer works. These fish are already expensive, and I'm not about to try and make up for the extra cost by raising prices for my customers. I understand the desire to address some of the issues with trade, but goldfish are not the problem, and a tariff on them is unreasonable and not the answer. And, goldfish imports are a drop in the ocean when it comes to the trade imbalance that Trump is trying to change.

I'm not sure how I will pay the bills once auctions stop, but I refuse to go through all the stress and hard work just to see my income consumed by tariffs. Please help support me and Dandy Orandas by buying my SUPER GOLD food. While it's sold on places like Amazon, I don't get any proceeds from those sales. No one has better prices than me, and shipping is FREE. I also have an exclusive size that no one else has. Orders usually ship the same day, or within 24 hours, so there's no advantage to getting it anywhere else. I spent years working on the formula, and am confident that it's the best food on the planet for goldfish. It's all that I've fed for over two years, and results are better than I've ever seen in decades of keeping goldfish.

I'm down now, but not out. With this business, I've had to deal with many problems over the years, but Dandy Orandas is my life, and I will be back!

More info and updates to come.

Thanks to everyone for your support.

best regards,
Ken

Edited by Acro

Bummer. I thought he bred them, not imported them! I wonder if my reptile guy in Hong Kong could ship me some. No doubt it would be expensive! If I could trust my mom I would just have her bring them back with her since she goes to Hong Kong ever year, but yeah....no. 

On 6/9/2019 at 2:04 PM, SGcvn69 said:

Sad indeed! Dandy hasn't had any auctions lately. Koko, I got my shirt and sticker today! Thank you!

Yes that is so very sad about Dandy and SolidGold. I feel like the goldfish community is shrinking :(

Awesomeness :thumbs: 

Well I found a sign at Petco that they had black butterfly tail moors, but no fish! Apparently they just had a recent goldfish special and they got some in! I talked to the guy and he said that they don’t always get them in, but I left my phone number so they could tell me they had pest snails for my pea puffer and he said he would try and order me some butterfly tail! 

2 hours ago, SGcvn69 said:

Well I found a sign at Petco that they had black butterfly tail moors, but no fish! Apparently they just had a recent goldfish special and they got some in! I talked to the guy and he said that they don’t always get them in, but I left my phone number so they could tell me they had pest snails for my pea puffer and he said he would try and order me some butterfly tail! 

I wonder if they where fantails. A lit of times they say they are one kind of fish only to find out they aren't😯😣

22 minutes ago, koko said:

I wonder if they where fantails. A lit of times they say they are one kind of fish only to find out they aren't😯😣

Good question! I'd have to look at them to know. The tag said Black Butterfly Tail Moor. :I-Thank-You:

On 6/12/2019 at 7:02 AM, SGcvn69 said:

Good question! I'd have to look at them to know. The tag said Black Butterfly Tail Moor. :I-Thank-You:

Lol. Years ago I went looking for Iran was and the LFS had them labeled as Fantails. Some places don't really know the difference lol

1 hour ago, koko said:

Lol. Years ago I went looking for Iran was and the LFS had them labeled as Fantails. Some places don't really know the difference lol

That doesn't surprise me! I guess I have to peek at them from the top somehow to see. 

That’s a bummer with the imports!  Understandable given the current trade restrictions and tariffs, but unfortunate nonetheless.  I’ll have to check out the food and see if I can at least bump some business Ken’s way by those means.

To the OP, Gary with Cincy Ranchu usually has babies, and at least some butterfly moors.  It just depends on what his current breeding stock is, but I’d email him and see what he can do.

https://m.facebook.com/cincy.ranchu

Unfortunately he isn’t on this forum, but here is a profile link