Kokos Goldfish Forum

I have always had this issue so I stopped buying black goldfish. How do you retain that velvety black and not have it fade?

2 hours ago, SGcvn69 said:

I have always had this issue so I stopped buying black goldfish. How do you retain that velvety black and not have it fade?

That has always been a fun question. :P

I do know that food has a lot to do with it. Foods high on the algae side that has carotene will change there colors.

But in my Honest opinion it has to do with light. Most fish that are Black, I mean solid back, are held in ponds. Have a Moor I have had for about 4 years or so started to turn orange on me. I looked at my lighting and the bulb was 2 years old. It wasn't emitting the light I needed to keep her black. So I got a New LED light that I can change the reds, blues, greens and white on the led. It has help my fish should have been all orange by now after 8 months of changing, but she's not. Her black changing to orange has slowed down. I don't think I can stop it but its slower than it was.

I hope that makes since.......

0111180945d.jpg

1228180919b.jpg

She is still turning but very slowly. I get you a photo of her today when I can. :) 

I think lighting and genetics has a lot to do with it.

I have a black comet out in the pond that has stayed pure velvety black, she is a favourite and a stunning fish.
I also have a tiny black moor who has barely grown since I got her, she is inside under fluorescent light, and she has also stayed pure black.
In my other pond there is a have a black moor/nymph, also has stayed pure black.

My old black fish, turned completely gold as she grew.

I've also noticed that with good lighting and food the black on my calicos tends to become a lot darker 

Interesting....! So they require more light then? Koko, what kind of LED light do you have? You can change the colors on it? I was contemplating something like a half wine barrel water feature...

Mandy if you have a true black comet, you have a real prize.  Breeders have tried their best to get a true black long-bodied goldfish without telescope eyes.  Typically, what is called a "black comet" is a koi - goldfish hybrid.  These get very large and are sterile.

Please breed your black comet and see what you get.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, shakaho said:

Mandy if you have a true black comet, you have a real prize.  Breeders have tried their best to get a true black long-bodied goldfish without telescope eyes.  Typically, what is called a "black comet" is a koi - goldfish hybrid.  These get very large and are sterile.

I was wondering about that!

11 hours ago, shakaho said:

Oh no she is definitely a hybrid. I'm just use to just calling her a black comet.  lolIMG_0319.jpg.a8f205a391a9cbc57b7ccbb0fe3d1e11.jpg

IMG_1050.jpg

IMG_1010.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

Oh no she is definitely a hybrid. I'm just use to just calling her a black comet.  lol

IMG_1050.jpg

How big is she? She's really cool! 

I'd estimate her to be at around at least 11 inches or so at the moment 

2 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

I'd estimate her to be at around at least 11 inches or so at the moment 

Standard or total length?  How old is she?

Sorry, total length.  Standard probably take a couple inches off. She's very thick and bulky too, a very strong fish.  I got her I think about 3 years ago? Not sure off the top of my head, but she was only a puny little thing then. 

18 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

Sorry, total length.  Standard probably take a couple inches off. She's very thick and bulky too, a very strong fish.  I got her I think about 3 years ago? Not sure off the top of my head, but she was only a puny little thing then. 

She is one impressive fish :)

On 5/22/2019 at 5:37 AM, SGcvn69 said:

Interesting....! So they require more light then? Koko, what kind of LED light do you have? You can change the colors on it? I was contemplating something like a half wine barrel water feature...

Yup in the red an green spectrum. I have turned those colors to full and tuned down my blue. It has slowed her down a bit, but she will go to orange soon :(

I have the new Fluval led light. 

https://www.fluvalaquatics.com/us/aquasky/

Thats what I got :)

Here she is today :) 

DSC_0195.JPG

Oh wow yeah she is getting more orange, but I like that the black is still solid even though it is receding! I wish we can get the black to come back once it is gone... I have a orange and white feeder that had black edging to its fins and the black is gone now, but the orange is getting lighter too? 

3 hours ago, SGcvn69 said:

Oh wow yeah she is getting more orange, but I like that the black is still solid even though it is receding! I wish we can get the black to come back once it is gone... I have a orange and white feeder that had black edging to its fins and the black is gone now, but the orange is getting lighter too? 

Me too, I was hoping that if I replaced the light it would stop but it didn't. Just slowed it down for her. I do feed her bug bites :) 

On 5/24/2019 at 5:41 PM, koko said:

Me too, I was hoping that if I replaced the light it would stop but it didn't. Just slowed it down for her. I do feed her bug bites :) 

What are bug bites?

3 hours ago, SGcvn69 said:

What are bug bites?

Goldfish pellet food, made by Fluval

12 hours ago, koko said:

Goldfish pellet food, made by Fluval

I went to Petco last night to get crickets for my frog and ran into them! Got myself a jar of it! :D Spoiled fish LOL

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, SGcvn69 said:

I went to Petco last night to get crickets for my frog and ran into them! Got myself a jar of it! :D Spoiled fish LOL

They will love it :) Mine beg for it all day long :lol 

8 hours ago, koko said:

They will love it :) Mine beg for it all day long :lol 

They gobbled it right up just like the Hikari! 

On 5/30/2019 at 4:15 AM, SGcvn69 said:

They gobbled it right up just like the Hikari! 

I found a place that sells it for $7.99 a bag. Around here I have to bay $12.99 a bag :yikes 

On 5/31/2019 at 12:55 PM, koko said:

I found a place that sells it for $7.99 a bag. Around here I have to bay $12.99 a bag :yikes 

I only got it in a jar. I think I paid $7.99 for it. How big is your bag?

19 hours ago, SGcvn69 said:

I only got it in a jar. I think I paid $7.99 for it. How big is your bag?

Fluval Bug Bites Pellets for Medium-Large Goldfish., 3.53 oz

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/fluval-bug-bites-for-goldfish

Thats where I normally get them. :O 

15 hours ago, koko said:

Fluval Bug Bites Pellets for Medium-Large Goldfish., 3.53 oz

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/fluval-bug-bites-for-goldfish

Thats where I normally get them. :O 

Oh that's the big bites! I did see them! My guys are tiny so I had to get the small bites!