Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
koko

We got Fry!

Update. they are 28 days old. they are now in a 4 gallon tote with a sponge filter. there is only about 15 left :( 

Fifteen is great!  Fry mortality is very common, even with experienced breeders losing half or more isn’t unheard of by month two; culls or natural death.

I agree 15 is great!  I want to see new pics!

12 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Fifteen is great!  Fry mortality is very common, even with experienced breeders losing half or more isn’t unheard of by month two; culls or natural death.

My favorite I noticed yesterday has a deformed mouth, such a bummer. He was the biggest and also all black.

8 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

I agree 15 is great!  I want to see new pics!

I'll get some up today 👍

Ugh, that’s so sad when the ones we like have crooked spines or mouths.  Tails, eh.  But anything structural to the body only exaggerates with growth :(

3 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Ugh, that’s so sad when the ones we like have crooked spines or mouths.  Tails, eh.  But anything structural to the body only exaggerates with growth :(

so true, I was cheering that one on :(

Okay guys had to get out the DSLR to get some photos :)

Oh and Mommy and Daddy are back at it again :rofl Oh and if you look Goldfish's tumor on the back is GONE! :thumbs: 

DSC_0187.JPG

DSC_0188.JPG

DSC_0189.JPG

DSC_0191.JPG

DSC_0192.JPG

DSC_0193.JPG

DSC_0194.JPG

DSC_0196.JPG

DSC_0200.JPG

DSC_0201.JPG

DSC_0206.JPG

DSC_0207.JPG

So cute!!

And that's amazing about the tumor! 

So cute!!

And that's amazing about the tumor! 
Me too, I noticed that it was being absorbed. I was surprised. He does get bubbles still. But not as often or as bad.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

How long does it take for them to get big, say, pea sized? I always love watching the fry grow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, Morgan'sMiracles said:

How long does it take for them to get big, say, pea sized? I always love watching the fry grow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would think about the 2 month mark. They are big enough to see them swimming in my rib with out looking hard. I'm feeding the first bites and once a week powdered bug bites. 

I missed this post! I love how you can see their little fancy tails already! How exciting! It's been so long since I have had goldfish fry....it's been so long since I've had goldfish! LOL

3 hours ago, SGcvn69 said:

I missed this post! I love how you can see their little fancy tails already! How exciting! It's been so long since I have had goldfish fry....it's been so long since I've had goldfish! LOL

I now have 12 of them. Still feeding fry food and now crushed up bug bites. Haven't grown much. I'm thinking it might be because I don't have a heater in there. 😒

15 minutes ago, koko said:

I now have 12 of them. Still feeding fry food and now crushed up bug bites. Haven't grown much. I'm thinking it might be because I don't have a heater in there. 😒

You're doing better than I was! I think I got up to 16 days with ONE fry! Maybe you need some live foods to boost them?

13 minutes ago, SGcvn69 said:

You're doing better than I was! I think I got up to 16 days with ONE fry! Maybe you need some live foods to boost them?

Can't find baby brine shrimp here, but still looking

2 hours ago, koko said:

Can't find baby brine shrimp here, but still looking

Order it on Amazon

Order it on Amazon
I know, just lazy on that part lol

Well, I was looking at the goldfish today in the main tank and what do ya know. There was fry in the tank. I needed to clean My filter. So I scooped it up and put it in with the other fry. Then I noticed the huge size difference.

Then I thought I better check my filter. So I pulled out the filter media and what do I see more fry. So I got a bowl and gently poured them into there. I think we have 7 total.

Aw lucky little ones!

Awesome [emoji106] good luck.
I'm looking for another goldfish right now. Not came across one that I really like yet. So just have the one right now.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

I'm wondering if they are getting enough food
I see other threads and at 6-8 weeks everyone else's babies are way bigger. I have ordered brine shrimp eggs, so they will be here tomorrow. I have been feeding them first bites and crushed up to powder bug bites 3 times a day. The get 20% of there water changed every night. They are in a 2gallon totes for now.
Any suggestions or thoughts from people who have done this would be great. Last time I did this was 20 years ago [emoji54]

Do you have a picture?  The fry I have from Cynthia are now seven to eight weeks old, and I feed them a ton.  Four or five times a day with bug bites and frozen bloodworm cubes.  They’ve actually gotten noticeably bigger since they arrived.  Heater will definitely help too, as will twice daily water changes.

Okay here we go.  Babies are now 1.25-1.5 inches in body length, or about 2 inches with tail.  They were about an inch in body length when I got them and weighed less, too.49B02575-B4E6-443F-840D-91DB5B5BEBBC.thumb.jpeg.8c0edc8a98377aa2f80144cd160bbad0.jpeg

ED5323E4-1C92-4B8D-93C0-F1A9265FEDF7.jpeg

18 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Do you have a picture?  The fry I have from Cynthia are now seven to eight weeks old, and I feed them a ton.  Four or five times a day with bug bites and frozen bloodworm cubes.  They’ve actually gotten noticeably bigger since they arrived.  Heater will definitely help too, as will twice daily water changes.

I Will get you a photo tonight. I been busy packing for Justine's first camping trip.

Mine are way smaller than that. I did get the brine shrimp eggs and feed them. They seem to be getting bigger. So I'm assuming I'm not feeding them enough😯

Oh camping!  Fun! Is she going with T D?

yeah I’d say I feed the eight of them about a tablespoon of bug bites divided into four feeds throughout the day, as well as two cubes of the frozen omega one bloodworms. Can’t wait to see your babies :)

1 minute ago, Arctic Mama said:

Oh camping!  Fun! Is she going with T D?

Nope just me, her, her two Aunties and a few friends from that side of the family. Mind you she's not my real sister as I don't have any sibblings alive. I have known her since 8th grade. Lol

1 minute ago, Arctic Mama said:

yeah I’d say I feed the eight of them about a tablespoon of bug bites divided into four feeds throughout the day, as well as two cubes of the frozen omega one bloodworms. Can’t wait to see your babies :)

I do have live brine shrimp s now. Feed them this morning and feed them first bites and bug bites at night. Should I feed more?

I change the water about 20-30% every morning or night lol