Kokos Goldfish Forum

Hello guys,

I'm running our first raffle of the year. It will run for the whole month of March. :pianobanana

All you have to do is post. Each post is like getting a raffle ticket, so the more you post the more chances of getting the prize.

How do I choose the winner? I use a random online number generator. There are 25 posts on each thread. 

So what is the prize you may ask? :idea:

1. A KG t-shirt, they are in men sizes so they run big. I have on hand Large and Medium only.

2. A $25 gift card to Amazon.com

3. A KG bumpersticker.

4. A choice of either........

Koko hand made fish globe. It changes light color and there is no water in it.

1219181719.jpg

Or a Yujin Gashapons Goldfish of your choice.

0911181017a.thumb.jpg.941cb015c220606e92

0911181017b.thumb.jpg.e4af8640499f85b5d2

Hope you join and enjoy the conversation. Thank you!

Its Open :pianobanana

Looks like fun! I'm doodling around on my computer, looking out the front window & watching the snow fall. One of our dogs wants to outside again, ack! I will be happy when we can finally get our back yard fenced.

Thanks for putting this on again Koko!

1 hour ago, Shahbazin said:

Looks like fun! I'm doodling around on my computer, looking out the front window & watching the snow fall. One of our dogs wants to outside again, ack! I will be happy when we can finally get our back yard fenced.

I love to watch the snow fall. I just don't like the after math of it all :lol2 

:fishtank

Hello there! 

It's been a little while but I'm back.  I always come back! 

I'm almost finished setting up my 1st aquaponic system and I'll have photos for you all!  It will contain some tropical fish and my 2 dwarf turtles.  Two more aquaponic systems should follow quickly after this first one and I'm considering stocking one of them with YELLOW goldfish!  

Anyway, I came in to join the fun!  Hugs and High-Fives all around!

Ooh I absolutely love those little goldfish figures!

Hi Acro!! Good to see you again! Yellow goldfish are so beautiful! I'd love to see that

16 hours ago, Acro said:

:fishtank

Hello there! 

It's been a little while but I'm back.  I always come back! 

I'm almost finished setting up my 1st aquaponic system and I'll have photos for you all!  It will contain some tropical fish and my 2 dwarf turtles.  Two more aquaponic systems should follow quickly after this first one and I'm considering stocking one of them with YELLOW goldfish!  

Anyway, I came in to join the fun!  Hugs and High-Fives all around!

:hi Glad to see you back. I can't wait to see what you grow this year :panana 

10 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

Ooh I absolutely love those little goldfish figures!

Hi Acro!! Good to see you again! Yellow goldfish are so beautiful! I'd love to see that

Me to I bought them from Arco :lol 

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

Yellow goldfish are so beautiful! I'd love to see that

Hey FishMandy,

Ever since I saw them, back when RainGarden started producing them, I always wanted some.  Now I'll have the chance to have a whole pond full of them!  It's still a few months away, but sooner than it's ever been before!  I imagine I'll get a few from RainGarden to start, then breed them to fill the indoor (garage) pond.  The other idea is to get a bunch for cheap from ebay seller "lewnews".  Besides those two sellers, I don't know any one else who sells Yellow Goldfish.  Know of any other sources?

6 hours ago, koko said:

Glad to see you back. I can't wait to see what you grow this year

Thanks Koko,

In the first system, I plan to grow some orchids, ferns and a few house plants.  I'll be keeping tropical fish, not really looking to breed, but just my personal fish. 

The second aquaponics system will have either Yellow Goldfish or Rainbow Fish (Glossolepis incisus and/or Melanotaenia Lacustris).  The yellow goldfish and rainbow fish I'd raise to sell some offspring.  Not sure what plants I'd grow in those two systems.  However I'd love to find a way to grow anubias in an aquaponics system!

Edited by Acro

Are there plants that do well in cold water? I don't currently heat my goldies, & temp runs right at 60F now. I admit that my present bare bottom set up is easier to clean, but I'd like to eventually do plants again.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Shahbazin said:

Are there plants that do well in cold water? I don't currently heat my goldies, & temp runs right at 60F now. I admit that my present bare bottom set up is easier to clean, but I'd like to eventually do plants again.

Do you mean aquarium plants, riparium plants, or aquaponic plants?  Either way, the answer is "yes".  Let me know what your looking for and I'll give a few examples or some info.   Also, you can go bare bottom with plants, there are several ways!  (I guess you mean aquarium plants . . . since you mentioned bare bottom tank).

Edited by Acro

I'm not sure on good places to get yellow fish. Don't see many here, only the yellow/ 'gold' commons. Mine is half white now though lol. But still gorgeous. I'd love a yellow fantail

18 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

I'd love a yellow fantail

I'm not sure if I ever saw a yellow fantail at RainGarden, but they often have yellow hibuna, comets, wakin, and "other goldfish".  Currently they have some yellow ryukin, here are 2 of them:

3589e.JPG

3590d.JPG

Oh they are beautiful! I especially love the first one. Commons are the only yellow goldfish I've seen in person. 

Posted (edited)

I haven't seen any yellows in person, but hopefully that will change soon!  I'd go for either (or a mix of) hibuna (common), comets, or wakin.  I'm more into those streamlined goldfish now.  So if all goes well, in a few months I'll have goldfish again!

Anyone know if yellow goldfish breed true?  As in, a yellow goldfish paired with another yellow goldfish would produce yellow goldfish offspring?

Edited by Acro

I have no idea! Would be interesting to try. 

Here is my yellow

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

17 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

I have no idea! Would be interesting to try. 

Here is my yellow

Wow!  Stunning!  Really stunning!!  Thanks for posting that beauty!

Is that a RainGarden fish?  How old, what size?

Nope, I'm in Australia so cant get Raingarden fish! Shes just from a local chain store. I've had her just over 2 years and at a guess since I havent measured for a while I'd say shes about 5 or 6 inches? She was only about an inch long when I got her

imageproxy.jpeg

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, FishyMandy said:

Nope, I'm in Australia so cant get Raingarden fish! Shes just from a local chain store. I've had her just over 2 years and at a guess since I havent measured for a while I'd say shes about 5 or 6 inches? She was only about an inch long when I got her

Ahh that's right!  I knew you were Australian (and it even says it under you name)!

That fish was quite a find at a chain store, she is a beauty!  I've never seen yellows at chain stores here in the States.  She was such an adorable baby, she has really grown into a stunner!

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 11:17 PM, Shahbazin said:

Getting back to this, the TANKMASTER book Cold Water Aquarium suggests some plants for unheated tanks (around 64F, but some will be fine in colder water).  Here is a quick list: Vallisneria, Myriophyllum, Elodea canadensis, Bacopa caroliniana, Hygrophila polysperma, Cryptocoryne wilisii, Sagittaria pusilla, Lobelia cardinalis, Ludwigia, Armoracia aquatic, Echinodorus Osiris, E. horemanii, E. uruguayensis, Lysimachia nummularia, Saururus cernuus, Hydrocotyle, Cabomba caroliniana, Ceratophyllum demersum.  :D

As for getting back into plants, you can have a bare bottom and have plants!  Here are ways I've found over the years:

1) Grow plants that attach to objects (like rocks, wood, aquarium ornaments).  Here is a list I compiled (with help from other members) from a Planted Tank Forum I'm on.  (note, not all of these are suited for goldfish)

Alternathera reineckii
Anubias sp.
Aridarum 
Bolbitis heteroclite (aka Asian water fern - roots easily emerged, takes time submersed)
Bolbitis heudelotii (aka African water fern)
Bucephalandra sp. (aka Buce)
Caloglossa cf. beccarii (aka "Red Moss" - actually a type of freshwater algae.)
Cryptocoryne hudouri
Cryptocoryne petchii
Hemianthus callitrichoides (aka Dwarf baby tears or HC)
Hygrophila pinnatifida
Hydrocotyle tripartite
Lagenandra meeboldii
Marsilea minuta (aka Dwarf water clover - possibly roots onto wood)
Micrantherum umbrosum (aka Monte Carlo)
Microsorum pteropus (aka Java Fern - and it's varieties)
Monoselenium tenerum (aka Pellia - one report of bonding to lava rock)
Moss (aka Java Moss, Fissidens, and many others)
Pogostemon helferi (aka Downoi)
Rhizophora mangle (Red Mangrove - will root onto rock, leaves must be above water)
Riccia (it is suggested that this will root on objects in water)
Schismatoglottis roseospatha (and possibly other Schismatoglottis sp.)
Staurogyne
Subwassertang (aka Süßwassertang - for some growers, it loosely bonds to objects)
Utricularia graminifolia (aka UG - a carnivorous plant in the bladderwort family)

2) Grow potted plants.  Drainage holes at the bottom help with cleaning. Just be sure to use large heavy gravel at the top to prevent goldfish from uprooting plants.

3) Use floating plants.  With some nice rocks or wood, it can look amazing.  Note that floating plants often create too much shade for submerged plants to grow under the floaters. 

4) Grow Riparium Plants.  Plants stay above the water and prevent goldfish from uprooting them and/or eating them.  The plants get most all of their nutrients from fish poop. Also, no Co2 needed!

Edited by Acro

Golden comets, as they are always sold as  are quite common in chain stores here!  They often have whole tanks full of them.

Though as you can see, my girl is half white now. I'd love to get another one and see if the colour change still happens outside, but I'm too stocked to be getting fish for 'experiments' lol

25 minutes ago, FishyMandy said:

Golden comets, as they are always sold as  are quite common in chain stores here!  They often have whole tanks full of them.

Though as you can see, my girl is half white now. I'd love to get another one and see if the colour change still happens outside, but I'm too stocked to be getting fish for 'experiments' lol

I would drool all over a tank full of "golden comets"!   :druel  That would be such a sight!  If you ever took a photo of that . . . I'd love to see . . . 

I like the half yellow, half white look.  If I had a fish with those colors, I'd name it something like "Lemon Creamsicle"  lol

I'll definitely take a photo next time!

Posted (edited)

I'd love to see it!  

Today is my day off, so I'm going to clean my aquarium now!  :D

Edited by Acro

5 hours ago, Acro said:

I'd love to see it!  

Today is my day off, so I'm going to clean my aquarium now!  :D

20190306_124458.jpg

20190306_124251.jpg

20190306_124257.jpg

20190306_124510.jpg

20190306_124507.jpg

20190306_124458.thumb.jpg.d1f404a66f5ef7e19476781d0b961d96.jpg
20190306_124251.thumb.jpg.956edac60bd5239a49a1c017db1174ce.jpg
20190306_124257.thumb.jpg.596d350d1ed68c945e2831ce7ec2dfb9.jpg
20190306_124510.thumb.jpg.4e0c22f541724fb389bdb50620fd8877.jpg
20190306_124507.thumb.jpg.c97233ae542e38e7ad3bf9b5457abad4.jpg
I got really excited, and thought this was your tank. Haha!

Lucky, in my area they charge an arm and a leg.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk