Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
aaronv801

Biologically Established Active Sponge Filters

So I was starting a fish-less cycle on a 75G I was about two weeks in and got to wondering if anyone sold actual established media besides the bottled stuff that never really works. So I started searching and found these.

https://www.angelsplus.com/FiltersSpongeActive.htm 

There are many great reviews so I thought I would give it a try I ordered 4 via usps priority mail which I received in 2 days on a Friday evening, they were bagged and shipped in just enough water to keep the sponges wet and beneficial bacteria alive. I quickly placed 3 in my 75G and 1 in a 20G That I am keeping a bubble eye in. I kept my ammonia at 4.0ppm on the 75G checked parameters daily Saturday and Sunday ammonia dropped slightly and was getting slight readings of nitrates so I knew something good was happening, well by Monday evening I checked and my ammonia was down to 0 and got a high reading on nitrates. So I raised the ammonia to 4.0ppm again, checked 24hrs later and there it was again 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and 20-40ppm on nitrates. My tank was cycled in just 3 days of adding these sponges. So it's safe to say they work like a charm! This is a great product in case of an emergency situation, as well as not wanting to wait a month or two on a fish-less cycle.  

22 hours ago, aaronv801 said:

So I was starting a fish-less cycle on a 75G I was about two weeks in and got to wondering if anyone sold actual established media besides the bottled stuff that never really works. So I started searching and found these.

https://www.angelsplus.com/FiltersSpongeActive.htm 

There are many great reviews so I thought I would give it a try I ordered 4 via usps priority mail which I received in 2 days on a Friday evening, they were bagged and shipped in just enough water to keep the sponges wet and beneficial bacteria alive. I quickly placed 3 in my 75G and 1 in a 20G That I am keeping a bubble eye in. I kept my ammonia at 4.0ppm on the 75G checked parameters daily Saturday and Sunday ammonia dropped slightly and was getting slight readings of nitrates so I knew something good was happening, well by Monday evening I checked and my ammonia was down to 0 and got a high reading on nitrates. So I raised the ammonia to 4.0ppm again, checked 24hrs later and there it was again 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and 20-40ppm on nitrates. My tank was cycled in just 3 days of adding these sponges. So it's safe to say they work like a charm! This is a great product in case of an emergency situation, as well as not wanting to wait a month or two on a fish-less cycle.  

I just went there and looked at the information. It sure looks promising. I have never seen a company do this. This I think is a good way of doing it. The bottles dont really work as the stuff in it is dead.

I will be interested in seeing if this works for you, it should as some members have shipped there media to others and it help to jump start the cycle.

Keep us posted :thumbs: