Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
stech

Temperature & Feeding

How long can Ranchus go without food at temperatures around 60s? I have some Ranchus (maybe 1 to 2 years old) with fully developed backs and wens that I am quite happy with.  Not looking to groom anymore just keep healthy.  Thinking of cutting back on feeding to once a day or once every other day.  Kept indoors with heater at 68 degrees right now.  I know you can stop feeding when temperature gets down to mid 50s, 

At 60F, feed once a day, but feed about half what you would with a temperature of 75F.  What temperature do you keep your house if you need a heater to get to 68F?   :)

I read temperature meter incorrectly, tank water temperature is already at 68F with the heater, my home temp is about the same.  Thanks I will just feed them half portion. 

I suggest you remove the heater.  Fish do better with a temperature that cools off at night and warms during the day, just the way we prefer it.  We have had cases (just a few) of fish that got burned trying to squeeze behind the heater.

Got it thanks. 

19 hours ago, stech said:

Got it thanks. 

I dont have a heater in my 40B. I haven't had one since I set the tank up (about 2years) and haven't had an issue. The water for me is very cold, so it shocks my shammies to do the water change, but the fish are just fine and seem to like it better this way :thumbs: